What should my next upgrade for my PC setup be?
Dec 25, 2014 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Gnomie

New Head-Fier
I just got the Koss Pro DJ100 cans (I had caught them on sale for under 50 bucks) a few months ago and they are amazing. They blow my poor little sennheiser HD 429's out of the water. I recently nodded them a little and have realized just how revealing of poor amping/source audio the can be. My Moto X and Sansa clip+ sound better than the onboard sound on my MSI motherboard. It was fairly cheap so I shouldn't expect much but its fairly pathetic how easy it is to pick up the differences. Now, I have heard conflicting opinions on onboard vs external dacs, so I wanted to ask you guys. First, is it possible that the audible differences people are hearing are really just from the amp, and the fact that the onboard output was never meant to be used as a line output? If it could be the case, should I try to get something like the Behringer UCA 202, or just go for a plain and simple amp by itself? I would like to keep it under 50 bucks, but I may be able to extend that number somewhat.

Just in case it helps, my motherboard is the MSI H81M-E33. I have been having trouble finding the exact model of realtek audio card it has. If you know what it is that would also be really awesome.

Dec 26, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #3 of 15
I would like a card like that, but I have a small case and the wires/graphics card will make it difficult to fit one in there. I would prefer a solution that works externally, but I may try an internal card if I have to. Sorry I forgot to mention that little tidbit of information.

Dec 26, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #4 of 15
Save up for a Soundblaster Z and watch for sales or refurbished versions
smily_headphones1.gif

I`m looking here  for the specifications and its very strange that they support only 44.1, 48, 96KHz through Asio playback, or it is only for recording? and I don`t see 88.2KHz anywhere, 
even my old xFi supported native 88.2 through asio,
If you have the card, can you count how many crystals are on the pcb?
I have always liked EMU cards, and since Creative dumped Emu in the dark, I was hoping they will release some semi pro card with soundblaster logo, but these cards have more Audio Enhacement then supported sample rates,

Dec 26, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #5 of 15
I`m looking here  for the specifications and its very strange that they support only 44.1, 48, 96KHz through Asio playback, or it is only for recording?

I have no idea what they support for Asio. However, most people don't use Asio any more.

Dec 27, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #7 of 15
If I absolutely have to get an internal sound card (which, once again, I would like to avoid), I would rather it be something between the price range of the Asus Xonar DGX and the sound blaster z. Unless an internal sound card would blow an external USB DAC/Amp, I would much rather it be external.

Dec 30, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #8 of 15
I have no idea what they support for Asio. However, most people don't use Asio any more.

Its not about using Asio or not, but saying that they support only 44.1, 48, and 96Khz through asio, is saying that every other sample rate supported, in fact is just resampled..
to the OP, I think onboard audio is good enough for some time, at least for 50 bucks, maybe its better to wait some time and put some real money, so you can hear a real difference..

Dec 30, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #9 of 15
Its not about using Asio or not, but saying that they support only 44.1, 48, and 96Khz through asio, is saying that every other sample rate supported, in fact is just resampled.

Really? Why would you think that? Their Asio driver just may not support other rates.

Dec 31, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #10 of 15
Really? Why would you think that? Their Asio driver just may not support other rates.

It can be.., but knowing Creative cards, they are bit perfect only when using native Asio driver(NOT asio4All), so they dumped 88.2, 176.4, and just resample to 192Khz because they need the logo 192Khz /24bit,
not that it makes any big difference in SQ, but just saying that the 10 years old EMU cards were bit perfect at all SR

Dec 31, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #11 of 15
I would like a card like that, but I have a small case and the wires/graphics card will make it difficult to fit one in there. I would prefer a solution that works externally, but I may try an internal card if I have to. Sorry I forgot to mention that little tidbit of information.

I know you're trying to avoid internal but the DX is for micro as well. The bracket is changeable.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G28N6032

Here as well you may look at http://schiit.com/products/modi-2 for external.

Also, your board has a Realtek ALC887.

Jan 1, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #13 of 15
Isn't WASAPI exclusive mode bit perfect? At least, that's what I've heard.

Wasapi it should be bit perfect, but for that it should be supported by the audio device, 
Creative xfi cards don't support wasapi bit perfect, and its pretty easy to check that, because they change the master clock in Audio Creation Mode according to the audio file played, when using asio driver it changes automatically, with wasapi it stays the same, just as with Direct Sound,
People get confused because they use wasapi and it plays music, but that doesn't mean its bit perfect,
Playing a 192Khz sample rate file through DS or Wasapi, its ok because its get resampled to what ever is selected in the audio console, but it can't be played through asio in ACM, because the card doesn't support that sample rate,
of course this has been discussed a lot in headFi through years, the problem is that people don't search anymore, I see everyday guides made by newbies, with the same questions all the time..
I haven't tried the latest Creative cards, but I think it should be even worse, they are more oriented in games, they just don't want people to get confused with Audio Creation or bit perfect..
and maybe the're right, people are getting dumber..
I haven't tried the Xonar cards, but according to this wiki, they behave similarly to the Creative xFi cards..

(check Notes at the end of the page), http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes

Jan 1, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #14 of 15
  Wasapi it should be bit perfect, but for that it should be supported by the audio device, 
Creative xfi cards don't support wasapi bit perfect, and its pretty easy to check that, because they change the master clock in Audio Creation Mode according to the audio file played, when using asio driver it changes automatically, with wasapi it stays the same, just as with Direct Sound,
People get confused because they use wasapi and it plays music, but that doesn't mean its bit perfect,
Playing a 192Khz sample rate file through DS or Wasapi, its ok because its get resampled to what ever is selected in the audio console, but it can't be played through asio in ACM, because the card doesn't support that sample rate,
of course this has been discussed a lot in headFi through years, the problem is that people don't search anymore, I see everyday guides made by newbies, with the same questions all the time..
I haven't tried the latest Creative cards, but I think it should be even worse, they are more oriented in games, they just don't want people to get confused with Audio Creation or bit perfect..
and maybe the're right, people are getting dumber..
I haven't tried the Xonar cards, but according to this wiki, they behave similarly to the Creative xFi cards..

(check Notes at the end of the page), http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes

Sorry, OT.
Interesting as my wasapi works by playing music from winamp+wasapi plugin and cuts off any other software like vlc or youtube videos sounds. But! When I game I can play music, and still hear the game play.
 And I read this.
During audio playback, the soundcard will be locked. You will not be able to play sounds from a web browser or other program while audio is playing.

So, I wonder why I can still hear sounds from game play while playing music=wasapi works and doesn't.

I've got the asus xonar D1.

Jan 1, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #15 of 15
  Sorry, OT.
Interesting as my wasapi works by playing music from winamp+wasapi plugin and cuts off any other software like vlc or youtube videos sounds. But! When I game I can play music, and still hear the game play.
 And I read this.
During audio playback, the soundcard will be locked. You will not be able to play sounds from a web browser or other program while audio is playing.

So, I wonder why I can still hear sounds from game play while playing music=wasapi works and doesn't.

I've got the asus xonar D1.

You can try Winamp+ asio plugin, and then game, 
if you play 96Khz files in winamp/asio, then when gaming, you should hear only one or no sound, because games are usually 48Khz,
if you play 44.1 or 48Khz files in winamp/asio and game, its a possibility that you can hear both..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back