what should my first pair of open headphones be
Feb 11, 2015 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Silentanarchy

New Head-Fier
I'm Just getting into being an "Audiophile". I have a Pair of Sennheiser HD448, Phillips City scape downtown ( they were $20, I was just testing out my new credit card) And my newest and favorite edition my AKG K550. I want a set of headphones with a warm sound signature and a great sound stage. I was thinking about getting the hifiman HE-400, or HE-500 if I could find them for under $300.

What I want specifically is something Under $300, used is okay, And something with good comfort, design and soundstage. Also I would love recommendations for great dacs and amps. I only know a few companies most notably schiit.

Feb 11, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #2 of 4
I recommend the AKG K712 Pro because after years of searching through the myriad headphones, many you have listed here, the AKG K712 sounds neutral and is very enjoyable with just about anything I throw at it.  It is comfortable for hours, open sounding, and plays nice with portable devices although it is not recommended for travel due to its size.  The bass is thicker than its predecessor, the AKG K702, but the headphone remains very well balanced in regards to its frequency range.  It is not as laid back as the HD650 making it easier to listen to if your taste in music is more picky.  I feel it trumps the DT990 because the K712 Pro sounds more real in that it reproduces instrumentation more true to life.

Hope that helps.

Second choice would be the HD650, but you should get a decent amp to make them sound the best.

Feb 12, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #3 of 4
  I recommend the AKG K712 Pro because after years of searching through the myriad headphones, many you have listed here, the AKG K712 sounds neutral and is very enjoyable with just about anything I throw at it.  It is comfortable for hours, open sounding, and plays nice with portable devices although it is not recommended for travel due to its size.  The bass is thicker than its predecessor, the AKG K702, but the headphone remains very well balanced in regards to its frequency range.  It is not as laid back as the HD650 making it easier to listen to if your taste in music is more picky.  I feel it trumps the DT990 because the K712 Pro sounds more real in that it reproduces instrumentation more true to life.

Hope that helps.

Second choice would be the HD650, but you should get a decent amp to make them sound the best.

They are a little high priced for me. but I think I'll try them, do You think the 65th anniversary are good because if i'm going to blow my budget I might as well destroy it 
atsmile.gif
 . I do sort of make music occasionally. and I am getting some yamaha hs7 soon for a great reference sound. I was hoping to also get some open headphones with some color, Made for enjoyment and not mixing. so I can hear what some "fun" headphones will sound like with my music going through them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back