What should I replace my Ety ER6 w/?
Apr 2, 2004 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Filipe

100+ Head-Fier
I've given up on my Ety ER6, coming to the conclusion that my ear canals are just not compatible (I get more bass from my stock Sony MD earbuds), and I've tried diferent tips etc etc.

So I'm after a set of normal in ear phones. I had a few years back a pair of Sony ex888 (I think that was the name) which I really liked), but fell apart after one year of use. Are these still available? I can't seem to find them.

How about the Sennheiser MX500?

Can't seem to think of other choices, so further sugestions are welcome
wink.gif

Thanks

Apr 3, 2004 at 12:25 AM Post #2 of 13
Sounds like the ER-6 wasn't compatible with your tastes.

I recommend trying shure e2 or e3 unless you really don't like the whole idea of using silicon/foam ear tips.

Apr 3, 2004 at 12:39 AM Post #3 of 13
I think those earbuds that you had before, that fell apart, were the sony mdr-e888's. They are not very durable buds, yet they do produce a decent sound. Yes, you should be able to still find these.

Otherwise, if you want awesome sound, go for the ety er4p or er4s. Those are a huge step up, and IMO well worth the money despite the whole in-the-ear thing which never quite worked for me...

Nevertheless, the etys are top-notch cans and IMO compete with such phones as the higher end grado's, the higher end sennheisers, and many others. Trust me if you go for these, you won't believe your ears. Great detail, tight bass. The only fault of these cans, which actually applies to all canal-phones, is IMO, their soundstage is lacking. However, if you have been using earbuds and such all this time, then you won't notice much.

I hope i helped you out a bit.
Dan

Apr 3, 2004 at 1:57 AM Post #4 of 13
If you are complaining about ER6's lack of bass it sound like you are more into the low frequencies. In that respect the best canal phones you can get is probably the Shure E5c. If you can't stand canal phone any more try the Audio-Technica CM7.

P.S. both of the above needs burning-in before they sound their true colours...

Apr 3, 2004 at 1:21 PM Post #5 of 13
Thanks for the above replies.

I think part of my "dislike" for the ER6 is also related to the nature of canal earphones, and other than that I'm not considering spending the sort of money the ER4's cost.

So I think I'll go for the convencional type of earbud, trading the very good sound insulation for the praticallity (and bass) of the earbuds.

Does anyone know how the 888 (which I know I like) compare with the Senns MX500 and Audio-Technica CM7?
Are the Audio-Technica CM7 available in the UK?

Thanks
Fil

Apr 3, 2004 at 1:37 PM Post #6 of 13
I don't know why people like the MX500. I have a pair and think the bass is weak and the highs are not clear. I have just modded my EX71 (my own mod) and it sounds better than the MX500 now. The better choice is the KSC-35 which sounds like a $100 can and is portable.

Apr 3, 2004 at 2:23 PM Post #7 of 13
The MX500 is heavy at the low end compared to the 888, but loses on practically all other fronts. Still waiting for the CM7Ti to arrive in Shanghai (China, that is) so I can't give you any idea how that compares to the 888.

Apr 3, 2004 at 5:50 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Filipe
can't seem to find the 888 or AT earbuds in the UK, so it seems it'll have to be the MX500...
frown.gif

frown.gif
i quite disliked the mx500 as well

Nov 18, 2004 at 5:55 PM Post #10 of 13
I've ended up going for the MX400 (same as the 500 but w/ no volume control), as they were so cheap, under £10.

After using them for a few months, I'm very happy with them, good bass, not as good midrange as the sony 888, but they cost 1/4 of the sony, so no reason to complain. They seem to be very solid as well, compared with the sonys.

So all in all, its two thumbs up!

Nov 18, 2004 at 8:34 PM Post #11 of 13
Filipe-
Try Bluetin.com for the 888's. I bought a pair from them last year for under $50 shipped (the gold version, with the long cord). They ship to UK and it looks like you can get them in chrome or champaign gold. 24.1 GBP for the long cord version (MDR-E888LP) or 38.1 GBP for the short cord version (MDR-E888SP), shipping should be about 3 GBP for standard shipping.

good luck!

Nov 18, 2004 at 8:46 PM Post #12 of 13
Thanks, but to be honest the sound improvement of the 888 over the MX400 isn't worth 3x or 4x the price of the MX400 imo (I had the 888 for a year), not to mention they would prob fall apart again...

Nov 19, 2004 at 1:09 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT
I don't know why people like the MX500. I have a pair and think the bass is weak and the highs are not clear. I have just modded my EX71 (my own mod) and it sounds better than the MX500 now. The better choice is the KSC-35 which sounds like a $100 can and is portable.

You are comparing a $12 earbud (MX-500) to a $40-50 entry canal phone (EX-71). That would be why its so popular: probably 75% of the performace for 25% of the price!

As for the KSC-35, its just a freak of nature. No earphone of its price ($20)should sound THAT good. I love mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back