what should I get?
Jun 14, 2004 at 8:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

dffman2001

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I am looking for a budget cd/sacd/dvd-a source. what can you recommend to me for $300 and less? First and foremost, I need for the player to play normal CDs well. I dont need too many fancy features, good sound will do. I am not sure about the sacd and dvd-a playback. I do not yet have any sacd or dvd-a discs, so a with a good cd player I may not miss the sacd or dvd-a playback.

Will a $300 sacd player be better than a $300 dedicated cd player?

I am currently looking into the NAD 541i, this seems to fit the bill so far, unless somebody convinces me otherwise.

And finally, the price I quote includes used players - I dont mind in this respect. So what is the best possible player I can get for about $300 hopefully less?

And btw, I am using a Alessandro MS-Pro with a Grado RA-1 if this matters... and nothing else, no DAC

Thanks

Jun 14, 2004 at 1:42 PM Post #2 of 2
Well, I can say the MS-pros I have blend superbly with the NAD C542. Tremendous bass "tightness" and a nice upper treble as well. Plus High Definition CD is worth it as it increases both of these features noticably, from Tubular Bells to Grateful Dead, HDCD shines.

If you can, go the 542 over the 541 (tight bass, better CDRW compatability).

When I have asked the SACD question, I got the message that this might not be enough to spend to make it worthwhile in the long run. If you are definitely after a universal player the advice given to me was "wait" till towards the end of the year but I'm not good at waiting!

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back