What should I get
Sep 12, 2011 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Slyver

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

what should I be getting for a budget somewhere around $300? May stretch it to 400$ if worth it.

I have an Asus Xonar STX Essence as my soundcard, rocking it with my gaming headphones right now (Corsair CA-HS1A). Not getting the best sound from it I guess at the moment. Used to have Sennheiser HD650 (they broke) and now I have a pair of Shure SRH-440 for my portable (not using them on my main PC, they give me a headache when I have em on for too long)

I'm looking at either a good 2.1 speaker set (I'll keep the headphones for gaming purpose) or a good pair of cans.

A DAC is worth it? Which way to go?

Thanks in advance! :D

Sep 12, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #2 of 11
A DAC and amp at this point would not be worth it. The soundcard has a very capable amp and DAC, probably the best DAC under $200 (or $300).

I'm not going to recommend much in the way of headphones for two reasons: in this price range(ish) I've only heard the Grado HF-2, and just about anything would be an upgrade from what you have.

If you want a pair of headphones that can double as gaming headphones, you might want to try the K701. I say "try" because it's legendary for being very polarizing, and you may not like them at all.

Sep 12, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #3 of 11

Quote:
A DAC and amp at this point would not be worth it. The soundcard has a very capable amp and DAC, probably the best DAC under $200 (or $300).

I'm not going to recommend much in the way of headphones for two reasons: in this price range(ish) I've only heard the Grado HF-2, and just about anything would be an upgrade from what you have.

If you want a pair of headphones that can double as gaming headphones, you might want to try the K701. I say "try" because it's legendary for being very polarizing, and you may not like them at all.

Thanks for your input!

I read that for some that the K701 lack comfort, which is one of the most important point to me for a pair of cans since I have them for a good chunk of time on my head.

Also, forgot to mention that first, I mostly listen to metal & instrumental if that helps to point a better model over another, don't need to be made for gaming so much, I guess better headphones will give me a better experience gaming wise for sure, but I'm looking to get a better one music & movie wise
L3000.gif
!

Sep 12, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #4 of 11
If you can find a deal in your price range, you could try to go for some vintage Stax Lambdas. Very comfortable and excellent all-rounders for gaming and music alike, but the cheaper setups come with transformer boxes that need a speaker amp. I hope you have one ready to use, or else that's even more money spent.

And if you don't like them, you can rest assured that you won't have much difficulty reselling them.

Sep 13, 2011 at 6:40 AM Post #5 of 11
From owners input for 2.1 the Edifier S530 is both very capable as gaming/movie speakers as well as being more musically inclined compared to majority of 2.1 boxed speakers that just go for cheap/muddy boom boom that greatly over powers the satellites - you can also check out the Swan M50W and Microlab H-200 If in USA possible to fish out a cheap stereo amp (craiglist) and go bookshelf + sub

Sep 13, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
If you can find a deal in your price range, you could try to go for some vintage Stax Lambdas. Very comfortable and excellent all-rounders for gaming and music alike, but the cheaper setups come with transformer boxes that need a speaker amp. I hope you have one ready to use, or else that's even more money spent.

And if you don't like them, you can rest assured that you won't have much difficulty reselling them.

Holy mother, they're too ugly for my taste, I would feel like a Klingon or something like that... but thanks for the input!
gs1000.gif

Quote:
From owners input for 2.1 the Edifier S530 is both very capable as gaming/movie speakers as well as being more musically inclined compared to majority of 2.1 boxed speakers that just go for cheap/muddy boom boom that greatly over powers the satellites - you can also check out the Swan M50W and Microlab H-200 If in USA possible to fish out a cheap stereo amp (craiglist) and go bookshelf + sub

I'm from Canada, can hardly find any Swan's & Microlab's product.

For headphones :

In my price range, there's these models that looks good to me (reaching 300-400$ isn't necessary, just a limit I set to myself ^^)
1- Grado Prestige SR325is 295$
2- Grado Prestige SR225i 200$
3- AKG K701 270$
4- AKG K702 260$
5- AKG Q701 280$
6- Audio Technica ATHM50S 160$
7- Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium 300$
8- Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro 220$
9- Fischer Audio FA-003 170$

Considering best comfort, audio quality and built quality, which is the best pick for a metal & instrumental lover?

I do prefer headphones over speakers at the moment due to still living at the parent's house, so I keep my stuff for myself and don't disturb my family too much ^^;

Sep 13, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
Holy mother, they're too ugly for my taste, I would feel like a Klingon or something like that... but thanks for the input!
gs1000.gif

I never said they were pretty...too bad the aesthetically-pleasing Stax models are also some of the most expensive headphones around (SR-007 and SR-009 Omega-series models). At least they're not Sigma-series ugly or bulky.

But the sound...it's something you'll have to experience for yourself, and it may just spoil you when you do. Oh, and did I mention the comfort yet? I'll be damned if I can find cans more comfortable than these, and that's saying something coming from the AD700s.

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #9 of 11

Quote:

I never said they were pretty...too bad the aesthetically-pleasing Stax models are also some of the most expensive headphones around (SR-007 and SR-009 Omega-series models). At least they're not Sigma-series ugly or bulky.

But the sound...it's something you'll have to experience for yourself, and it may just spoil you when you do. Oh, and did I mention the comfort yet? I'll be damned if I can find cans more comfortable than these, and that's saying something coming from the AD700s.

The higher-end models seems like the hot stuff...but oh my gee the price :\

After doing some more research and taking all yours input, I've decided to try on a pair of AKG K702, read there a little more comfy than the K701 and will give me a great sound after a good burn-in time, plus they fit in my budget (using Ebay...) and are black (will fit with my whole PC which is all dark ^^ )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back