What should I get on a €600 budget for music and primarily gaming?
Oct 23, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #16 of 31
Get a used Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card ($?) and a EPH-02 (99 GBP) headphone amplifier.
http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/products-page/headphone-amplifiers/ehp-o2-portable-headphone-amplifier/

The Xonar DX/D1 comes with a CS4398 DAC chip and an audio processor (for Dolby Headphone Surround Sound), just need to plug the EHP-02 into the Xonar and your headphones into the EPH-02.

Or something for a little bit better audio quality (and more cash), the Audio-GD NFB-15.32 DAC/Amp, costs about 190 Euros, plus 30 Euros for shipping.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

I just placed an order for one three days ago.

Then spend the rest of your budget for headphones.
(Optional, maybe 50 Euros for a used Sound blaster Z sound card)

If I got the 15.32, then would I not need a sound card?

Now I need to concentrate on headphones.
What would the cheap Stax setup be?

Oct 23, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #17 of 31

You wouldn't need a sound card if you got the 15.32. It just plugs into the computer through USB and performs the same duties as a sound card (DAC + amp).

I'm not that familiar with Stax, but no Stax models would work with the 15.32. They are electrostatic headphones and use a completely different sort of amp. Stax sells the amps you would need, so if you wanted to go with Stax, you would only need a separate DAC. Any DAC should work with an electrostatic amp. 

Oct 23, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #18 of 31
You wouldn't need a sound card if you got the 15.32. It just plugs into the computer through USB and performs the same duties as a sound card (DAC + amp).

I'm not that familiar with Stax, but no Stax models would work with the 15.32. They are electrostatic headphones and use a completely different sort of amp. Stax sells the amps you would need, so if you wanted to go with Stax, you would only need a separate DAC. Any DAC should work with an electrostatic amp. 

Right, I think I understand.

I'm leaning towards the Shures and the 15.32, but I'm still open, the Stax headphones are interesting.
If it helps at all, my motherboard is an ASRock X79 Extreme 3.
My case is like a jet engine taking off with all the fans I need to keep my processor cool...
I do like the new Schiit Vali, apparantly it's very good.
I can buy the 15.32 no problemo, I found the Shure 1840s new + shipping for €400, and if the 15.32 is only €220, then that's no problem whatsoever.

Oct 23, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #19 of 31
Koss ESP-950 is also worth checking out for an entry-level electrostatic set up. The price includes the amp and its warranty is good for free lifetime repairs, or at least that's what they say. 

Oct 23, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #20 of 31
My advice is separate the gaming and music setups. What works for one will not necessarily work for the other so treat them as two different setups IMO. Spend €100 on a decent gaming orientated PCIe sound card and headset, then with the rest buy a USB DAC/Amp and headphones for listening to music.

Oct 23, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #21 of 31
You'll only get simulated surround with a sound card if that is of importance for you.

Oct 23, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #22 of 31
My advice is separate the gaming and music setups. What works for one will not necessarily work for the other so treat them as two different setups IMO. Spend €100 on a decent gaming orientated PCIe sound card and headset, then with the rest buy a USB DAC/Amp and headphones for listening to music.
The gaming is my priority, I don't listen to that much music.

Oct 23, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #23 of 31

The 15.32 could be connected to your motherboard using S/PDIF (optical & coaxial), this would allow you to use the motherboard's on-board/built in sound card features, for surround sound for games and movies.

You can always add a sound card in the future, like the Sound Blaster Z ($60-$100) which comes with an optical connection.

The 15.32's USB connection would bypass the sound card, but should provide slightly better audio quality, so USB would be preferred for 2-channel audio, like music.

Here is a used NFB-11.32, which comes with a DAC chip that provides better detail then the 15.32.
The 15.32 is considered a little more warm & "musical".
http://www.head-fi.org/t/687084/mint-condition-audio-gd-nfb-11-32

Oct 23, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #24 of 31
Ohh, his motherboard has virtual surround? Nice, though I didn't see it on a simple search?

I don't think you can afford a Stax or Koss electrostatic setup within your budget unless you go used. Just saying. But considering you don't listen to that much music, you should priortize comfort very high and perhaps not spend that much on a heapdhones. Look at MLE's gaming thread.

I am positive the audio gds would be solid performers for DAC/amp, also if you choose to upgrade headphones later on.

Oct 24, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #25 of 31
Ohh, his motherboard has virtual surround? Nice, though I didn't see it on a simple search?

I don't think you can afford a Stax or Koss electrostatic setup within your budget unless you go used. Just saying. But considering you don't listen to that much music, you should priortize comfort very high and perhaps not spend that much on a heapdhones. Look at MLE's gaming thread.

I am positive the audio gds would be solid performers for DAC/amp, also if you choose to upgrade headphones later on.

I think it has surround sound, it has multiple outputs for speakers.
I found a pair of HD700s for €485 used, from Romania including shipping. I found another pair for €450 used from America, but it's such a hassle getting stuff here from over the pond.
Should I get them? I could probably just about get that amp+dac.

Oct 24, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #26 of 31
Dunno, some like the hd700, others hate it. The general consensus is, that it is a little overpriced considering the perfomance it delivers. But it is very comfortable, I find it to be more comfortable than the hd800.

The cheapest Stax stuff is found at pricejapan.com by the way, but with taxes and stuff on top...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw=stax+%28SR%2CSRA%2CSRD%2CSRM%2Cheadphone%2Cheadphones%2Cenergizer%2Cear%2Cearspeaker%2Cearspeakers%2Celectrostatic%2Cdriver%29&_sacat=&_ex_kw=&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_sop=12&_fpos=&_fspt=1&_sadis=&LH_CAds=
^There's a custom search...

I don't think your mobo has virtual surround for headphones btw.

Oct 24, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #27 of 31
Dunno, some like the hd700, others hate it. The general consensus is, that it is a little overpriced considering the perfomance it delivers. But it is very comfortable, I find it to be more comfortable than the hd800.

The cheapest Stax stuff is found at pricejapan.com by the way, but with taxes and stuff on top...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw=stax+%28SR%2CSRA%2CSRD%2CSRM%2Cheadphone%2Cheadphones%2Cenergizer%2Cear%2Cearspeaker%2Cearspeakers%2Celectrostatic%2Cdriver%29&_sacat=&_ex_kw=&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_sop=12&_fpos=&_fspt=1&_sadis=&LH_CAds=
^There's a custom search...

I don't think your mobo has virtual surround for headphones btw.

Maybe I should wait until Christmas, when I have more money to spend and I'll be in London so I can try some headphones.
There is a hi-fi shop here in Florence but it's rather small.

Oct 24, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #30 of 31
You want a headphone with accurate imaging and nice soundstage if you want gaming and music on a headphone.

I personally find that the imaging of the Shure SRH 1840 is excellent. When playing a shooter like Counterstrike Source, I can immediately pin point where someone is. And it works for all genres of music since it's a very neutral headphone.

There are headphones with bigger soundstage like the HD700 and HD800, but I'm not sure how accurate the imaging is of these headphones during gaming. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back