What should I get from the Apple store? $100 and below?
Sep 17, 2007 at 3:13 AM Post #46 of 57
I would love to talk, on completely reasonable terms, on what a Mac vs PC would mean. I'm a recent graduate in graphics and web design (which is supposed to be heavy on Mac preference), and I honestly haven't yet found the magic that Mac supporters seem to believe in. Keep in mind that during my college classes I've been surrounded by both new, high-end macs and older, transparent-cased ones, along with plenty of pro-Apple supporters. I just can't find the justification in their machines, and I'd love for someone to give me some real, hard evidence as to why I should choose them.

Honestly, I'd LOVE to find that a Mac would suit my needs better. I'm a huge nut for sleek gadgets and interfaces, and a lot of what Apple does seems to be pretty smart. I just have yet to find a justification for their high prices and lack of solid video card support. As a Mac user, are you truly limited to World of Warcraft for your gaming options? Can't Apple realize that video performance is important, too?

I don't know, but if anyone would like to talk with me, in an honest, fact-based conversation on PCs versus Macs, I would love to do so. I can't seem to get a straight answer (outside of "Well... Macs look cooler!" and the ever incorrect "Macs don't crash!") out of any Mac user, and keep getting assaulted with immature, defensive retaliations.

Where are the mature, I-don't-need-to-defend-myself Mac users? Are they all fanboys and girls?

Please, if any Apple user would like to discuss their reasons for choosing a Mac over a PC, I would love to hear it. Add me to MSN at animasaki@hotmail.com, and let me know.

And with regards to the $100 gift card: I completely agree with finding someone who is aiming to purchase one of the new iPods (can't be hard!), and sell it to them for $70 or so. They'll get $30 off of their purchase, and you gain cash. Much better than wasting it on mediocre headphones!
wink.gif

Sep 17, 2007 at 9:09 AM Post #50 of 57
I feel that the apple products to very appealling and innovative.

I think that only some the apple products are expensive ( Maybe because they spend more money on R&D ). For instance the new iPod line is very reasonablly priced. Also the iPhone for $399 is not that expensive if you think that you are getting a smartphone + iPod.

New electronic products are almost always expensive. Four years back I bought a Dell Latitude Laptop for $2050. Now I can get a better configured one for less than $1000.

Sep 17, 2007 at 11:04 AM Post #51 of 57
HEY!

Apple Laptops are decent deals. The Apple DESKTOPS are ripoffs on hardware.

They still sell the new powermac with the freaking 7300GT as TOP OF THE LINE. Hello? DX10 has been here for months on end and the 7800gt has been out for over a year now. Apple needs to keep up with technology markets. The top of the line powermac only performs at 1/10th the level of a high end PC setup on graphical benchmarks. What can you say about that fanboys? NOTHING. All you can tote is your pretty OSX (which I like a lot), but practically Apple has forsaken their desktop lineup to be hip and fit a marketing trend.

Remember folks, Apple Computer changed their name to Apple.

And my 2 cents is to get the VMODAs

Sep 17, 2007 at 1:01 PM Post #52 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by FooTemps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HEY!

Apple Laptops are decent deals. The Apple DESKTOPS are ripoffs on hardware.

They still sell the new powermac with the freaking 7300GT as TOP OF THE LINE. Hello? DX10 has been here for months on end and the 7800gt has been out for over a year now. Apple needs to keep up with technology markets. The top of the line powermac only performs at 1/10th the level of a high end PC setup on graphical benchmarks. What can you say about that fanboys? NOTHING. All you can tote is your pretty OSX (which I like a lot), but practically Apple has forsaken their desktop lineup to be hip and fit a marketing trend.

Remember folks, Apple Computer changed their name to Apple.

And my 2 cents is to get the VMODAs

1. Apple offers the x1900XT and Quadro FX 4500 as options.

2. 10% huh? Want to back that up with some benchmarks? There is absolutely no way the top of the line Quadro or nForce card performs 900% faster then a 7300GT. Even with Quad SLI.

3. You seem to be defining performance in terms of gaming, and using it to make sweeping generalizations on performance in general. For scientific computing Macs tend to wipe the floor simply because many applications in this arena use some ugly hacks and drop optimizations to run on Windows.

The amount of misinformation in any apple vs. pc debate is off the charts. On both sides. Macs are better at some things. PCs are better at some things. The fact that people simply cannot accept this is damning.

Sep 17, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #53 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Apple offers the x1900XT and Quadro FX 4500 as options.

2. 10% huh? Want to back that up with some benchmarks? There is absolutely no way the top of the line Quadro or nForce card performs 900% faster then a 7300GT. Even with Quad SLI.

Actually, that depends on what settings you use. Turn on AA on an high res monitor and an 8800 will be 10x faster.

Sorry OP.

Sep 17, 2007 at 2:15 PM Post #54 of 57
How bout the Shure SE110 seems to be the grey elephant in the room that no one is looking at.

Sep 17, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #55 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Corbet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Again, show me a PC as small as a Mac Mini or a PC integrated into the display like the iMac. Granted, I'm not even a fan of the iMac (I like them but I think it's stupid that you can't use the display down the road with a different computer), but last time I checked Dell didn't have anything close to the iMac/Mac Mini.

Mac minis are useless. You can't even build a decent cluster with them. With regards to iMacs... no. Consolidated units are a huge pain in the ass to upgrade or modify. iMacs are sold to people who value form over function, and Apple has that market segment caught hook, line, and sinker. Comparatively, it's like selling skullcandy earbuds because they look 'cool', then bashing Ety for not having comparable offerings

Sep 17, 2007 at 2:20 PM Post #56 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfloding /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, that depends on what settings you use. Turn on AA on an high res monitor and an 8800 will be 10x faster.

Sorry OP.

From tomshardware, Warhammer: Mark of Chaos v1.6 1920x1200x32, 4xAA, 8xAF, Max quality:

nVidia 8800 Ultra : 43.4 fps
nVidia 7300GT : 6.4fps

That's 15%. I do have to retract the statement about SLI though. That being said calling the nVidia 7300GT their best option is flat out false though.

Before moving to an x86 architecture most addons were incompatible because PCs and MACs used a different endian order. Now that PCs and MACs are architecturally very similar I wonder if this is still true.

Sep 17, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #57 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From tomshardware, Warhammer: Mark of Chaos v1.6 1920x1200x32, 4xAA, 8xAF, Max quality:

nVidia 8800 Ultra : 43.4 fps
nVidia 7300GT : 6.4fps

That's 15%. I do have to retract the statement about SLI though. That being said calling the nVidia 7300GT their best option is flat out false though.

Before moving to an x86 architecture most addons were incompatible because PCs and MACs used a different endian order. Now that PCs and MACs are architecturally very similar I wonder if this is still true.

Same ballpark, and if you run into memory limitations it gets much worse for the 7300. I really couldn't care less about Mac vs PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back