What should I expect of this setup?
Dec 7, 2011 at 9:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

ineedmorebase

500+ Head-Fier
After countless hours of reading and reading some moar, here is what i've ultimately come up with:

For Trance/bass heavy music, some rock, some (pop?), alternative etc, pretty general tastes but mostly EDM and also good for gaming/movies.

---------Ultrasone HFI DJ1 (if i can find it as cheap as the 580 because i like the black and white more :) ----125~

---No sound card in my computer, but instead of getting one I decided on getting the much loved here Fiio e10 Dac/Amp, which to my understanding is basically an external Sound card which makes the overall audio of my computer muuuuuuuuch better, and i think, at the same time it amps the signal to make it even better, if im wrong, please say so :D!

Also picked the e10 because it has a "bass boost", whoo! ~80 bucks.

Think itl sound quite nice? Also, once I have the extra money, i think ill get the Zo2! for when im not at the computer and still want some lovely amp/bass.

1 question though for even more bass, how would i combine the e10 with the Zo2 on my desktop setup?

Any idea of how you think this will sound, please write! anything at all!

----Just waiting for my miles davis tributes replacement to come in from monster via ups or fedex this week so i can sell and make the jump on all of this!

Thanks to the head-fi community for all of the help and knowledge!

Will make a review of all of them and how they sound combined to help!

Dec 7, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 49
I'm not even close to a basshead, so I don't know much about it, but the E10 is on the bassier side of DACs I think.

I know nothing of that ultrasone, or the Z02 though : \

If you want bass, I'd pick a bassy headphone instead of chaining stuff together to get more bass (Maybe those ultrasones are bassy though, like I said I know very little about ultrasones)

Dec 7, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #6 of 49

I generally associate Ultrasone with bass.
Quote:
I'm not even close to a basshead, so I don't know much about it, but the E10 is on the bassier side of DACs I think.

I know nothing of that ultrasone, or the Z02 though : \

If you want bass, I'd pick a bassy headphone instead of chaining stuff together to get more bass (Maybe those ultrasones are bassy though, like I said I know very little about ultrasones)

Dec 7, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #7 of 49
The XB700s were the bassiest headphones I've ever heard in my life. It rumbled my skull lol. Not my thing but by look of your user name it might just be your taste 
biggrin.gif

Dec 7, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #9 of 49
I think you should save up for the Pro 900's instead of the setup you mentioned.  You can find them for $300 in the threads here.  I just saw a one for $275 today.  I know it needs to be shipped overseas but just a thought.  Pro 900's doesn't need the ZO.  I think even the Fiio E6 would be fine with it.  

Dec 7, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #10 of 49

Quote:
I think you should save up for the Pro 900's instead of the setup you mentioned.  You can find them for $300 in the threads here.  I just saw a one for $275 today.  I know it needs to be shipped overseas but just a thought.  Pro 900's doesn't need the ZO.  I think even the Fiio E6 would be fine with it.  

Some people dont even like the pro 900, and some thing the 580 hits harder and with 300 bucks, i get the zo, e10, 580 AND can almost get my self a new video card...its a no brainer really...

Dec 7, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #11 of 49
Don't know anything about the 580 but it sounds like you know what you want, so I'd say go for it.  I don't see anything wrong with the setup, it should be pretty good. 

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #12 of 49
People prefer the 580 because there's no need to get an amp, it works just as good straight out of a mobile device. Sound quality wise it's similar to Bose or Monster Beats, it has a large amount of bass and isn't good for other non-bass-driven genres. The Pro-900 is certainly more hi-fi but it does need amping, Pro-900 amped vs 580 is no competition.

Dec 8, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #13 of 49

Quote:
People prefer the 580 because there's no need to get an amp, it works just as good straight out of a mobile device. Sound quality wise it's similar to Bose or Monster Beats, it has a large amount of bass and isn't good for other non-bass-driven genres. The Pro-900 is certainly more hi-fi but it does need amping, Pro-900 amped vs 580 is no competition.

Well then again I keep hearing all over again how PRO900 has even more V-shaped sound, more bright metallic highs vs more recessed mids which doesn't handle acoustic music very well.

Dec 8, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #14 of 49
Quote:
Well then again I keep hearing all over again how PRO900 has even more V-shaped sound, more bright metallic highs vs more recessed mids which doesn't handle acoustic music very well.

That sounds like a description of an under-powered phone; sufficiently amped the Pro900 should easily outdo the HFI range. I think to some extent all Ultrasone headphones sound metallic, real instruments don't sound quite right. For electronic genres they're alright but you still have to lean more towards the bass-end, where the Pro900s have lots of bass, the HFI-780 have even more bass, and the HFI-580 are all bass.

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #15 of 49
That sounds like a description of an under-powered phone; sufficiently amped the Pro900 should easily outdo the HFI range. I think to some extent all Ultrasone headphones sound metallic, real instruments don't sound quite right. For electronic genres they're alright but you still have to lean more towards the bass-end, where the Pro900s have lots of bass, the HFI-780 have even more bass, and the HFI-580 are all bass.

Basically what you are saying is that it's an upgraded xb700? And 580=qc15 Bose quality? I heard 580>senheiser 280/380 and m50

Users who are viewing this thread

Back