What should I do
Oct 15, 2008 at 10:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Raconteur

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone;
Some years ago, I was planning to buy myself some Super.fi 3's or V-moda Vibes. However, at the moment I was about to order one of them, both my television and my bicycle stopped working - and I was left with not enough money to buy them. Eventually, I bought some crappy Creative EP630s which functioned quite well, untill now.

But as the years passed, my bank account got stuffed more and more, and recently, I decided to buy some good IEMs, along with a new iPod with lots and lots of gigabytes.

However, I don't quite know which one I should take - as I'm quite inexperienced with IEMs. At first, I thought about the V-moda Vibes or Super.fi 5s (not the pro's), but both don't have replaceable cables. I tend to wrap my cables around my MP3 player or just dump the bunch in my bag, so I'm afraid the cables will break in about a year or so.

So I looked further, and then, I saw those shiny Triple.fi 10s. They're great, but... a little expensive. And although I'll use them approx. 5/6 hours a day, 350 dollars is quite a lot money for a first-timer's IEMs. Besides, I heard you can't sleep on your side with triple.fis in your ears - and I like to listen to some music before I go to sleep.

So, what should I do? Buy the Triple.fis, go for some Vibes or SUper.fi 5s, or is there some other brand/model I should take a look at?

Additional information:
Listening 5/6 hours a day, mainly in busses and trains, so good isolation is a plus. Music: singer/songwriters like Patrick Watson, Beirut, Jeff Buckley, Anthony & the Johnsons; also, Radiohead, Franz Ferdinand, and some electronic; Hot Chip, Hercules & Love Affair, and Lindstrøm. No maximum budget, just want to keep it as cheap as possible.

Thanks in advance!
Raconteur
(post scriptum; I'm sorry for any language errors made in the text, but it ain't easy for me to type in English, as Dutch is my native language)

Oct 15, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #2 of 17
Westone UM2's... Really is your best choice for comfort and sound for its price (300).. Im sure others will agree, but I have not tried them myself, but people love these things.

Oct 15, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #3 of 17
Hi, Raconteur -- I remember your user name ... and your English seems at least as good as the last post I read from you.

I'm not sure the Vibes represent that much of a step up from the Creatives ... or that they would hold up to your usage (I don't know their durability -- my friend who loves hers uses hers primarily indoors and doesn't carry them around with her ... regarding "I tend to wrap my cables around my MP3 player or just dump the bunch in my bag," I'm not sure that's a great way to treat any earphones, and now that you're moving up in class, be a bit more careful, if you can). (By the way, since I'm a fan of foamies -- many are not -- I've started using Comply foamies on my Creatives, and I like the improvement in fit and sound for these value-priced earphones.)

I've long been interested in the Westone UM2s, for comfort, isolation and their braided cords ... but for half the price, I have really loved the Futuresonics Atrio M5s that I got, instead (and with the money I saved, I've been able to sample the excellent Sandisk Clip and get a set of the excellent portable Logitech mm50 -- now Pure Fi Anywhere -- travel speakers). With foamies (Shure black, Futuresonic or Comply), the Atrios are comfortable and isolating -- and they have a big -- but natural, non-bloated -- bass sound). Excellent even unamped out of iPods. People on Head-Fi have been recommending the Sleeks, as well. And of course there also are earphones from other reputable companies discussed on Head-Fi ...

Good luck with your search ... the thrill of the hunt is a big part of the experience, apparently.

Sources (in order of purchase):
2nd Generation 10GB iPod for Windows (retired)
Creative Muvo 256MB (recently found the receipt – over $100!!!)
Creative Muvo 1GB (out on loan)
Rio Carbon 5GB
Cowon iAudio 5 1GB (out on loan)
Rio Karma 20GB (low-mileage collector’s item)
Creative Zen Nano 1GB
Samsung YP-U2 512MB
4th Generation 40GB iPod (monochrome; used as home jukebox)
2nd Generation iPod Nano 4GB
Creative Zen Stone 1GB
iRiver T60 2GB
Sandisk Sansa Clip 1GB
Sandisk Sansa Clip 2GB (mostly for audiobooks)
3rd Generation iPod Nano 8GB

Oct 16, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, Raconteur -- I remember your user name ... and your English seems at least as good as the last post I read from you.

I'm not sure the Vibes represent that much of a step up from the Creatives ... or that they would hold up to your usage (I don't know their durability -- my friend who loves hers uses hers primarily indoors and doesn't carry them around with her ... regarding "I tend to wrap my cables around my MP3 player or just dump the bunch in my bag," I'm not sure that's a great way to treat any earphones, and now that you're moving up in class, be a bit more careful, if you can). (By the way, since I'm a fan of foamies -- many are not -- I've started using Comply foamies on my Creatives, and I like the improvement in fit and sound for these value-priced earphones.)

I've long been interested in the Westone UM2s, for comfort, isolation and their braided cords ... but for half the price, I have really loved the Futuresonics Atrio M5s that I got, instead (and with the money I saved, I've been able to sample the excellent Sandisk Clip and get a set of the excellent portable Logitech mm50 -- now Pure Fi Anywhere -- travel speakers). With foamies (Shure black, Futuresonic or Comply), the Atrios are comfortable and isolating -- and they have a big -- but natural, non-bloated -- bass sound). Excellent even unamped out of iPods. People on Head-Fi have been recommending the Sleeks, as well. And of course there also are earphones from other reputable companies discussed on Head-Fi ...

Good luck with your search ... the thrill of the hunt is a big part of the experience, apparently.

Sources (in order of purchase):
2nd Generation 10GB iPod for Windows (retired)
Creative Muvo 256MB (recently found the receipt – over $100!!!)
Creative Muvo 1GB (out on loan)
Rio Carbon 5GB
Cowon iAudio 5 1GB (out on loan)
Rio Karma 20GB (low-mileage collector’s item)
Creative Zen Nano 1GB
Samsung YP-U2 512MB
4th Generation 40GB iPod (monochrome; used as home jukebox)
2nd Generation iPod Nano 4GB
Creative Zen Stone 1GB
iRiver T60 2GB
Sandisk Sansa Clip 1GB
Sandisk Sansa Clip 2GB (mostly for audiobooks)
3rd Generation iPod Nano 8GB

Thanks for your quick replies
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyways, I'm not sure about the UM2s. The UEs appear to sound better - regarding to this forum - and aren't much more expensive. Besides, I don't like the idea of foams, them getting dirty and all. I'd say I'd prefer silicone over foam.

Oct 16, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 17
Don't bother with cheaper IEMs ... you'll just end up working your way up the chain until you get to the top end, having wasted money on the journey. Vibes are pretty poor earphones, so definately give them a miss ... better to head straight to the top end.

The UEs don't necessarily sound better than the UM2s (or the Shure SE530s for that matter). They are the 3 top end choices, and each one has lots of fans depending on preference regarding sound signature (as well as ergonomics and design). If you prefer a more forward and bright sound, then the Triple.Fi will be the best choice for you. If you prefer a more warm and smooth sound you may well be better off with one of the other two options. I personally love the UM2, but any one of these options is still a great earphone.

Yeah the Triple.Fis do stick out a bit, and won't really be suitable for listening to while in bed. The UM2 and SE530s have a more ergonomic design, and are usually considered more comfortable the the UEs.

Finally, try treating your IEMs with a bit more care ... put them in a case when you're not using them, and they'll last you more than a year.

Oct 16, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by digivate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't bother with cheaper IEMs ... you'll just end up working your way up the chain until you get to the top end, having wasted money on the journey. Vibes are pretty poor earphones, so definately give them a miss ... better to head straight to the top end.

The UEs don't necessarily sound better than the UM2s (or the Shure SE530s for that matter). They are the 3 top end choices, and each one has lots of fans depending on preference regarding sound signature (as well as ergonomics and design). If you prefer a more forward and bright sound, then the Triple.Fi will be the best choice for you. If you prefer a more warm and smooth sound you may well be better off with one of the other two options. I personally love the UM2, but any one of these options is still a great earphone.

Yeah the Triple.Fis do stick out a bit, and won't really be suitable for listening to while in bed. The UM2 and SE530s have a more ergonomic design, and are usually considered more comfortable the the UEs.

Finally, try treating your IEMs with a bit more care ... put them in a case when you're not using them, and they'll last you more than a year.

I don' t have much listening experience (yet), but I think I prefer brightness over smoothness. But I think all three will suit me well, it's quite a lot of money but I'm sure it's worth it. And of course, after spending approx $300 to IEMs, I will definitely handle them with more care than my current Creatives
wink.gif

Considering sleeping with the IEMs, it would be just a bonus, but it's not necessary, as I have speakers on my room, and using those on a very low volume might be even more comfortable.

The Sleek's, as recommended above me, seem like a good choice as well. However, if the UM2s/triple.fi10s are sounding even better, I'm willen to pay those extra $50.

Oct 16, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #8 of 17
Also consider the se530s, shures offering at the top of the line IEMs. They are generally regarded as having more of an emphasis on the bottom end than the triple fis, so that may bea plus if that is what you are looking for. However, the triple fis trump them in the highs. Also stated above the se530s are smaller than the triple fis and are very comfortable IEMs.

Dave

Oct 17, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by myinitialsaredac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also consider the se530s, shures offering at the top of the line IEMs. They are generally regarded as having more of an emphasis on the bottom end than the triple fis, so that may bea plus if that is what you are looking for. However, the triple fis trump them in the highs. Also stated above the se530s are smaller than the triple fis and are very comfortable IEMs.

Dave

Hi,
The SE530s seem like quite good IEMs for me as well. Guess it's going to be either them or the triple.fis. I see Ebay is by far the cheapest to order them, but I've never ordered over Ebay before; can I just order at some reseller with a lot of positive ratings, or does it really matter which one I choose?
Buying them in Holland is not an option, since Ultimate Ears aren't even reselled here and the Shure SE530s (non-PTH) cost €410, which is approx. $515.

EDIT:
I see I might as well import them from Germany or the UK; don't have to pay any import taxes then so in the end it will be cheaper. Would this reseller be ok to order the triple.fis?

Oct 18, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #10 of 17
I'm not sure if you will like over ear cables...
for me, as much as i like the SQ of triple fi or se530 (even tho feels much better than triple fi) I hate that over the ear thing. I feel the cable over my ears all the time.
I would rather go for SA6 or better yet real nice earbud. Maybe yuin pk2 ? I don't what are good earbuds out there.

So yeah... If I return my se530, I'm gonna definite try sa6 with wireless thing for 299. Although I am really tempted to plunge almost $1400 for Ue11...

Oct 18, 2008 at 12:05 PM Post #11 of 17
I think over the ear cables won't be much of a problem to me.

Anyways, I've decided to go for the UM2s, as they seem to give the best comfort, good sound quality and as they aren't too expensive. I'm now waiting for PayPal to check my bank account, hope I can order them as soon as possible
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 18, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhoxHound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Sleek Audio SA6 have a replaceable cable, are nowhere near as big as the triple.fi, much cheaper, and apparently have great sound quality to boot.

I'll agree on the sound quality. And replaceable cables. $200 bucks. I'm not sure about sleeping on your side though. Haven't tried it, they are small. May look at the Klipsch Image series too. They're smaller, but the cables aren't replaceable.

Oct 18, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #14 of 17
Congrats on your decision with the UM2's. Thinking about the SA6, their supposed durability issues may be problematic if you sleep on your side and put unusual amounts of pressure on them.

Nov 4, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #15 of 17
My UM2s arrived yesterday and so far, I'm very pleased with them. The comfort is great using the foam tips they added. The isolation is just great (I really don't hear any noise when I'm in the train). Considering the sound, I don't have much to compare to. When I took them out of the box and used them, they didn't impress me much - but the Westones had to get burned in.

Today, it sounded much better - the bass on hiphop tracks is nice, not overdone but certainly present. Radiohead sounds just great, with all kinds of nice little details everywhere. In the end, I'm really happy that I've bought them
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back