What should I do? Powered speakers or un-powered?
Nov 16, 2014 at 2:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

gr34td3str0y3r

100+ Head-Fier
I just bought a nice new Marantz HD-DAC1 for my home. 

But now I need some speakers for it. 
I have two choices. 
Buy a set of powered speakers. 
These Fostex are RIGHT in my price range have great reviews and they are available in Japan. 
http://www.amazon.com/Fostex-PM0-4n-B-Black/dp/B003G30H9C
My friend says they sound too flat and need a sub. I have no subout put

okay. So option 2. 
Buy an add on amp unit to connect to the DAC1 and get me a set of un powered speakers. 
There is something cheap like this little thing. 
http://www.amazon.com/Lepai-LP-2020A-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416119079&sr=8-1&keywords=stereo+amp&pebp=1416119081231
agian no sub output. 

What I really want it a ZERO frills 2.1 channel stand alone amp. 
RCA in, some bad ass op amps, 2.1 channels out. Why is that so hard to find? 

Should I should go with the Fostex speakers (or TANNOY Reveal 402s ). They will just be TV/Movie sound. maybe 10% of the time for games and music, but I use headphone for games and music almost exclusively. 

Nov 16, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #2 of 18
Monoprice has 8" powered monitors in your range I would look at. Those small Lepai T class amps ain't bad, neither!

Nov 16, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #3 of 18
Monoprice has 8" powered monitors in your range I would look at. Those small Lepai T class amps ain't bad, neither!

thats just depressing. Yet another great monoprice item I can not get. 
Monoprice... only hours away from Japan, HQd in China has ZERO presence in Japan. 
Their cables would put everyone to shame here. The cables they sell in Japan for non-audiophile market are CRAP and over priced crap. 

Nov 16, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #4 of 18
(edit) never mind. This is to ADD two channels to your 7.1 system to get 9.1...... 

This: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-M-5010-2-Channel-Amplifier-Black/dp/B00A8EIO2E/ref=zg_bs_537344_64

How is this the ONLY no frills "mid range" stand alone amp I can find. 

Why does everything have to be a 36 input receiver with 11.2 channels output. 
I already have a 1000$ DAC with a pre amp and all the inputs I needs. 

Nov 16, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #5 of 18
well. I am having a conversation with my self. but maybe you will benifit from what I have figure out. 
I solved my problem. Power speakers it is. 

I can get a new stereo amp for about 200-10000000 dollars. 
For exmaple the Maratnz PM-5005/FN (only in Japan) 5004 model in the states would match PERFECTLY for my HD-DAC1.... but whats the points. 
I have ZERO inputs other than the DAC. 

So I figured out that fostex, and probably many other companies too make subs with pass through circutrs/connections. 

This http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/PM-SUBmini.shtml
plus the pm0.1 will be perfect. 
they also sell a bigger one in Japan matched to the pm.04. But that would all cost me twice as much... 

anyway. Thanks for the wall to bounce my ideas off of. 

Nov 16, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #6 of 18

Because no one wants those since subwoofers come with their own amps. :)

Nov 16, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #7 of 18
I can get a new stereo amp for about 200-10000000 dollars. 
For exmaple the Maratnz PM-5005/FN (only in Japan) 5004 model in the states would match PERFECTLY for my HD-DAC1.... but whats the points. 
I have ZERO inputs other than the DAC. 

Not sure what you mean. It's a good integrated amp. You hook good passive speakers up to it. That's the point :confused:

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #8 of 18

You won't find a single 2.1 channel amplifier because home audio systems tend to use either huge towers that sometimes can go lower than 40hz before their -3dB point, or people just compromise with stand mount monitors. Either way, the reality is that most people can do this because most music doesn't have that much below 40hz, save for really huge classical music or Lil Jon - and the latter isn't really something you listen to at home, but better in yo Escalade as you try to blow yo own windshield off with them Audiobahns. For those who do need to cover the entire bass range down to 20hz, if not boost everything below 100hz or so, there are powered subwoofers. The problem is that nowadays amps are getting smaller and smaller so aside from the NuForce Icon it will be hard to find an amp that can also feed a subwoofer, unlike for example some legacy amps that have the bridge between their preamp and power amp sections on the outside, so you can use either section or both with a Y-Splitter and at the same time feed a signal to a subwoofer.

If you really want to use a sub, you might as well just use an A/V receiver, and newer ones seem to have better amp circuits than same tier products from the last decade. Next to that, the best you can do is buy a plate amp (ie, mounts onto a subwoofer) since some of those have 2.1 amplification, like in computer speakers. The problem is they won't be "ZERO frills" since you'll have to mount them onto a passive subwoofer (so at minimum you'll DIY the subwoofer enclosure after buying a subwoofer driver), then if you need a volume control apart from the one on the amp panel (like one speaker on a computer set that has buttons or knobs on it on your desk), you might have to DIY that too. It would probably be more convenient to wire up a 12v power supply to run a 4channel can amplifier, so you can use 2ch for the main speakers then bridge the other two channels to run a sub, and then put it on a table in such a way that you can easily reach both gain controls. Yep, without a master preamp like a car receiver, every time you switch the volume, you'll have to move two knobs.

Another thing...why the need for "bad ass opamps"? You can end up using an amp from eBay using "bad ass opamps" but then the circuit or the power supply you'll build for them aren't up to snuff anyway. All speaker amps I've owned for my home were not Gainclone designs and used discrete ICs, and my 35wpc NAD304 was still able to drive 4-ohm Dynaudios and even B&W towers with multiple bass drivers with authority.

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #10 of 18
NAD 3020. I am using it in a 2.1 setup.

Forgot about this one because of the DAC. I'd skip (sell) the DAC and just get a D3020 - digital inputs, 30w x 2 output, plus a subwoofer output. Also has Apt-X and it's compact, so one can easily move it to to the patio where passive outdoor speakers are installed and then you can control playback from right next to the grill between steak flips.

Nov 17, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #11 of 18
Not sure what you mean. It's a good integrated amp. You hook good passive speakers up to it. That's the point
confused.gif

it has an integrated headphone amp. 
It has no powered outputs for speakers. 

Nov 17, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #13 of 18
  it has an integrated headphone amp. 
It has no powered outputs for speakers. 

The Maratnz PM-5005 does have speaker connections. It's an integrated amp for speakers.

He might not appreciate the grammatical differences; lemme try and clear that up. "Powered output for speakers" is not the same as "output for powered speakers." Powered output means it's amplified, as in the speaker jack outputs; "output for powered speakers" means a line level output for an amp, which in the case of a powered speaker is built into the speaker housing, which is usually RCA, and can either be fixed or variable (preamp controlled).

PM5005 rear panel - speaker outputs on the right. You'll find the same terminals on passive speakers.

If you really want a subwoofer then just hook up the subwoofer to the Record Out on the PM5005 - it will send a signal to the subwoofer directly from whatever input on the amp you're using. The downside is you'll have to reach down to the sub to control its volume, but then that's how everyone with a subwoofer does it. Some subs might have some kind of remote though. Upstream of that you just hook up the HD-DAC1 to any of hte RCA inputs, ie either CD or Network (heck, you can use Tuner - it's just a label; it's Phono that you shouldn't use for anything aside from a compatible cartridge).

Nov 17, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #14 of 18
If you really want a subwoofer then just hook up the subwoofer to the Record Out on the PM5005 - it will send a signal to the subwoofer directly from whatever input on the amp you're using. The downside is you'll have to reach down to the sub to control its volume, but then that's how everyone with a subwoofer does it. Some subs might have some kind of remote though. Upstream of that you just hook up the HD-DAC1 to any of hte RCA inputs, ie either CD or Network (heck, you can use Tuner - it's just a label; it's Phono that you shouldn't use for anything aside from a compatible cartridge).

Or, you can also split the signal from your DAC and run it to both the subwoofer and the amp.

Nov 17, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #15 of 18
  I just bought a nice new Marantz HD-DAC1 for my home. 
But now I need some speakers for it. 
I have two choices. 
Buy a set of powered speakers. 
These Fostex are RIGHT in my price range have great reviews and they are available in Japan. 
http://www.amazon.com/Fostex-PM0-4n-B-Black/dp/B003G30H9C
My friend says they sound too flat and need a sub. I have no subout put

For a simple 2.0 setup, check out the Emotiva Airmotiv 5s
https://emotiva.com/products/powered-monitors/airmotiv-5s
Self-power speakers, not sure if they sell locally in your area, or if easy for you to have stuff shipped to you.
The Airmotive seems to get a lot of fans.

If you want nice sound, with a sub-woofer, then you should look into getting a modern receiver, which can drive passive speakers and also comes with a dedicated output for a sub-woofer.

Did you have a budget for your audio?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back