What should I consider upgrading?
Mar 9, 2012 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

PhoebeFairchild

100+ Head-Fier
I would appreciate it if people would critique my audio system:

Resolution Audio Opus 21 CD Player, Power Centre, Extra Sources, S30 power amplifier
Ray Samules Audio Emmeline HR-2 with OPA627BP and AD797 operational amplifiers
Sennheiser HD-650 headphones with stock cable and Moon Audio Blue Dragon cable
Balanced Power Technology BP.Jr II Ultra power conditioner with BPT 9 gauge Litz power cord
Cardas Golden Reference Power cord and Interconnects RCA cables
DNM Reson RCA cable
Audioquest Cinnamon 1.5 meter USB cable

I listen to a wide variety of music including pop, rock, blues, jazz, classical, opera, American Standards, country, folk, Celtic, and female singers and bands.

I am thinking about the following upgrades:

1. Cardas headphone replacement cable for my Sennheiser HD-650 headphones

2. ZU Omen Bookshelf speakers with Blue Jeans Cable Belden 5000 Spades to Spades speaker cables

3. Sennheiser HD-800 with Cardas Clear cable (this won't happen for another year)

4. Audioquest Diamond 1.5 meter USB cable

I can afford to get the Cardas headphone replacement cable for my Sennheiser HD-650 headphones within a month or two and I would prefer to buy a used cable with the new gray jacket. The Sennheiser HD-800 with Cardas Clear cable will have to wait as I will have to save up money to buy it, but I am concerned that the rest of my audio system is not of reference caliber to merit its addition to my system. I believe in the source first philosophy and while my source component cost me $5,000 USD for the Resolution Audio Opus 21 CD Player, Power Centre, and Extra Sources, I do not know if it is good enough to merit the Sennheiser HD-800 with the Cardas Clear cable upgrade.

I am interested in getting the ZU Omen Bookshelf speakers with the Blue Jeans Cable Belden 5000 Spades to Spades speaker cables so that I can put them on top of my desk in my bedroom to enable near field listening. I sent an e-mail to Steve Huntley over at Resolution Audio and he said that they would work with my Resolution Audio S30 power amplifier and that they would be a nice match. He said that other RA customers have paired the S30 to the ZU Omen floor standing loudspeakers with good results. I don't have the physical space for floor standing loudspeakers so I am interested in their ZU Omen Bookshelf speakers as an alternative.

I would describe my system as being warm, clear, tonally balanced with exceptional rhythm, dynamics and clarity along with resolution. I am quite happy with it as it is right now, but I am thinking hard about the above upgrades.

I have the Audioquest Diamond 1.5 meter USB cable connected between my System76 Bonobo Professional laptop and my Resolution Audio Opus 21 music system. It is an exceptional USB cable, but it is very expensive at $649 USD for 1.5 meter long USB cable. My Audioquest Cinnamon 1.5 meter USB cable should be delivered to my home today so I will update my thread including my review of the Audioquest Diamond 1.5 meter USB cable to compare these two USB cables later.

What do you think?

Mar 9, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #2 of 5
Oh my goodness. Forget cables and change that amp.

Sorry, I'm not a believer in cables, and I'm certainly not a fan of Ray Samuels gear.

Personally, I would sell all the cables and the HR-2 and get an HD800 and a Headamp GS-1. But since I know you're not going to ditch the cables, I would HIGHLY recommend you get a new amp (The Woo Audio WA6 and Headamp GS-1 come to mind) or some new headphones (HD-800 comes to mind, but try the stock cable! It's good!). Another amp to consider is the Sheer Audio HA-006 line, which is based on the same Dynalo circuit (designed by Kevin Gilmore) as the GS-1, but without as much superb build quality (and without the month-long wait.) http://www.acoustic-fun.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=22&osCsid=9967183c0854a5e318a5bcd3d4b6c7ee

The only really logical conclusion here, though, is to sell it all and buy Stax. :rolleyes:

Mar 9, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #3 of 5
I'd like to get more replies from the community if possible. It would be helpful since I am a new member here.

I looked at the HeadAmp GS-1 and I like what I see. I have to do more research into this product as a possible candidate.

I am also thinking about the Sennheiser HD-800 headphones, but I will have to audition them for two weeks in my home to see if I will be keeping them. This means that I will be buying them brand new from a reputable Head-Fi sponsor such as HeadRoom Corporation because they offer a risk free 30 day money back guarantee and free shipping for the Sennheiser HD-800 headphones.

Do you really think that my system can handle the HD-800s? I have my doubts because I don't think that I have a superlative source component to merit the HD-800 headphones in my system. I don't even know why I write that, but it's just a hunch of mine.

The headphone amplifier is my weakness right now. It's years old and I need something that is more modern. Driving two headphones would be nice. I am looking for a headphone amplifier that is dead neutral and tonally balanced. I strongly prefer a solid state design with a two box design for separate power and electronics if possible. The Headamp GS-1 does look intriguing though.

Mar 9, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #4 of 5
If you decide to go with an HD800, I'd recommend you did not concurrently change any other links in your audio chain. That to better evaluate the specific sound of the HD800, a headphone that has a developed polarized views among those who have owned it.

Mar 9, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #5 of 5
Thank you for the tip Pigmode. It is very sagacious advice that I will heed.

I am new here. I want more replies and opinions. My best lead is to pursue the Sennheiser HD-800 with the Cardas Clear cable upgrade. That's what I really want to do by the end of next year. I still love my Sennheiser HD-650 headphones with the stock cable and Moon Audio Blue Dragon. I expect to receive delivery of the Cardas headphone replacement cable for the Senneheiser HD-650 headphones by the end of next week from another Head-Fi member. That will finalize my cable upgrades for the HD-650.

I also love the Audioquest Diamond 1.5 meter USB cable at $649 USD. It is terribly expensive for a USB cable, but I have it in my audio system right now and it is sublime. I also got my Audioquest Cinnamon 1.5 meter USB cable and I like it though I think that it needs more burn in time to sound its best.

I need more replies and opinions.

Is my audio system good enough to warrant the Sennheiser HD-800 with the Cardas Clear headphone replacement cable? I don't think so. I need a truly reference caliber source component and headphone amplifier to justify the HD-800s with the Cardas Clear cable, but I don't plan to upgrade my source component and headphone amplifier anytime soon.

Upgrades are so tricky to get right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back