What should i choose?
Jan 28, 2014 at 4:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Efredin

New Head-Fier
Hello there. 

I really want to upgrade my setup with a new pair of headphones.
But first of all i don’t know which one to choose. 
I was thinking of buying a pair of HD 558, and a add-on mic. 

Second question is if i should upgrade my soundcard as well, or by a external DAC. 

I have a sound system hooked up to my pc as well, and i really don’t want to crawl to the back of my computer everytime i have to change, from headphones to the sound system, and the other way around. 

The headphone is for when I’m playing games, which i do a lot, and for long periods of time. 
And my sound system is mainly for movies and music, which is also important.
Any suggestions? 

Thanks 

Jan 29, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #3 of 9
There's really no first question. You stated that you're considering buying the HD558 with a mic; no alternatives, no mention of what kind of games you play, and no mention of what kind of music you like. For the "second" we have no idea what you currently have in your computer so we can't possibly begin to recommend any kind of upgrades or if an external DAC will suit you better.

Jan 29, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #4 of 9
Help us help you. Just like the guy above me said tell us your current set up, what kind of music you listen to, what sound signature you want and your budget.

Buying a dac and plugging your headphones into the line out on that really isn't going to be a good idea. If you get an external dac you'll need a dedicated amp as well.

Jan 30, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #5 of 9
Oh yeah.. Sorry about that. 
Well, the first question is mostly about if its a good choice, or if you think it should be a different alternative! 

After looking alot after what i should do and buy, i was kinda thinking of buying Asus Rog Xonar Phoebus, along with the HD-558
Do you guys think that it would be stupid to buy this? Any other ideas? 

My setup:
GeForce GTX 670 SLI 
i5-4670k CPU
8 GB Ram
MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming

I currently use my on-board soundcard. 

Jan 30, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #6 of 9
  Oh yeah.. Sorry about that. 
Well, the first question is mostly about if its a good choice, or if you think it should be a different alternative! 

After looking alot after what i should do and buy, i was kinda thinking of buying Asus Rog Xonar Phoebus, along with the HD-558
Do you guys think that it would be stupid to buy this? Any other ideas? 

My setup:
GeForce GTX 670 SLI 
i5-4670k CPU
8 GB Ram
MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming

I currently use my on-board soundcard. 

Your computer rig doesn't matter. The ram you're using or the gpu you have isn't going to make a difference, again can you tell us the following?

• What is your budget
  • What genres do you mostly listen to
  • What sound signature you think you want (bass heavy, neutral, bright sounding?)
That info will help us a whole lot more than knowing what processor you have.

Jan 30, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #7 of 9
My budget is about 150 dollars per thing. So about 300.. 

Well, i listen to almost everything. Mainly rap, heavy, electronic, pop, jazz.. so this probably dosen't help you! 
About the soundsignature, i really don't know, i'm kinda new at this :) 

But as i said when i posted this thread, i would like them to go with my gaming.. And then i maybe can use them with my Iphone aswell, for when i'm walking, or traveling :) 

Really appreciate you wonna help me guys! 

Jan 30, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #8 of 9
Generally Rap, hip hop and electronic music sounds pretty bad with brighter headphones that lack bass.  If you don't mind having open headphones, I would say HD598s because they're warmer and make almost every genre sound good.  They're pretty good for gaming too.  Most of the superb gaming cans people usually recommend (Audio Technicas) have barely any bass presence and most likely wouldn't be enjoyable with bass heavy music.  

This should be helpful:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-1-27-2014-monster-dna-pro-added-edits

Users who are viewing this thread

Back