What should I check when buying used cans?
Feb 22, 2009 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

guyx1992

500+ Head-Fier
I'm gonna hear some used RP-21s this Tuesday and I wanted to know if you had any tips about testing these? I'm not talking about SQ, I'm talking about what kind of technical issued can a can have? (see what I did there?
wink.gif
) And how do I check for it?

Thanks!

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricksome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hopefully the current owner does not have greasy hair otherwise you will have a greasy headband. Does that qualify as a rechnical issue?

That qualifies as an aesthetical issue.
beyersmile.png

Do you have any special music suggestions to test the SQ other than what I normally listen to?

Feb 22, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #4 of 6
obviously listen to music you are very familiar with, but it doesnt hurt to have music that is overly bassy, or has a lot of treble, just to check how it is in those areas. Also, take your own source, and another pair of similar (if possible) cans to have an on spot comparison. That will not only allow you to check for any issues, but also allow you to decide whether or not you really want them.
Apart from that, obviously check the cable, the earpads, the plug, see if the cable is stretched/pulled out near the headphones, and also see how they were stored if possible.
Good luck, and hopefully all should be well.

Feb 23, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #5 of 6
That they are well taken cared off!
Aka -> In fully working condition, clean, earpads not worn out, ....

Feb 23, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #6 of 6
See if they are in working condition and just check them overall. No screws falling out etc.
wink.gif

What is also important are the pads' condition and seller's feedback..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back