What should I buy?
May 21, 2016 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

AllYourFort

New Head-Fier
I will be buying a sound card soon. The choices are either the Soundblaster ZxR or Asus STX II. I will be using the DT 990 Premium 600 Ohm. Which will sound better?

May 22, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #4 of 7
I would just get the regular STX over both of those.

If you want better SQ from there, get a cheap soundcard with the virtual surround sound chip you want. Then get a Schiit Modi 2 with optical input and their Magni 2 amp.

May 22, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #5 of 7
I don't want to have to get another amp and dac. I want one solution. Why would I buy a sound card that has a 600 ohm amp and then buy another amp? I neglected to mention the reason I wanted to get a sound card. I actually have decent on board audio. Realtek 1150 with 600 ohm amp built in. So I was getting up from the desk and my leg snags on the headphone cable. It  slightly bent the headphone connector I was able to bend it back. But now when I plug into the front audio port on my case I have to jiggle it to get sound out of both phones. Quite annoying.

May 22, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #6 of 7
I don't want to have to get another amp and dac. I want one solution. Why would I buy a sound card that has a 600 ohm amp and then buy another amp?

I recommended (a) the STX is instead of spending money on the STX II and (b) buying a CHEAP sound card and using and external DAC and amp. Not both. LOL

May 23, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #7 of 7
The ZxR should work just fine. That's what I would get. If you sent sure if that's the way you want to go Amazon has a great return policy if it doesn't work for you. Based on specs it should.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back