What should I buy?
Feb 24, 2016 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jrubins

New Head-Fier
Alright Internet,
For some inexplicable reason, I have the urge to get another set of cans for work. They'll be powered by my Fiio e17. Mostly I listen to jazz, classical, and electronic at work. Closed back or in-ear, not on ear. Comfort is paramount. I'm leaning towards over-the-ear varieties so that people can see I have headphones on and stop talking to me (which happens a lot with iems - people talk to me for 5 minutes before I realize they are there). 

Currently, I've got some Monster Turbine Pro copper, they are great, but it takes a minute to get them in/out/in again, which is irritating at work. The isolation is good (almost too good) for the workplace, great for the train though. Sonically, they are very neutral, but maybe a little ... boring. I used to have some Ultimate Ears Super.Fi Pro 5s that I found more involving, but after the 8th time they broke, I gave up. 

Also Some ATH-W1000s that I love sonically, but they're my 'home' phones, and I don't think they're comfortable for all-day wear. 

Also some Beyerdynamic DT990 which are semi-open back. They are comfortable, but a bit more midrange forward and don't isolate well for work. 

Tonally, I'd like something a bit "warmer" than what I've got now... Closed back circumaural or maybe iem if there's a really great pair that are just too awesome to ignore.

Budget is $300. 

And ... Go! Recommend away! :D 

Thanks,
James

Feb 24, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 11
NAD VISO HP50.  My favourite closed back headphones.  Amazing sound quality with lushness and warmth.  Bags of detail yet non-fatiguing.  Isolate very well and can be driven off anything.  I couldn't ask for more in a closed back at that price point or even a fair bit higher.

Feb 24, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #4 of 11
You should grab a pair of used OPPO PM-3 and contact Bill-P to have them modified a bit 
wink.gif
 shouldn't be a lot more than 300-400.
More midrange, and smoother treble without sacrificing detail. Warm midrange but still airy enough treble. Best closed-back phones in the price-range IMO.

Feb 24, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #7 of 11
  You should grab a pair of used OPPO PM-3 and contact Bill-P to have them modified a bit 
wink.gif
 shouldn't be a lot more than 300-400.
More midrange, and smoother treble without sacrificing detail. Warm midrange but still airy enough treble. Best closed-back phones in the price-range IMO.

I tried to get some with the mods already applied today ... but they were sold out :wink: 
OPPO-PM3s are high on my list, though. Definitely interested in this closed back planar black magic. Seems like that's a pretty new thing. 

Feb 24, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #8 of 11
Hahaha, yes, but I'm sure he could cook something up again if you ask nicely!

It is not new per se, seeing as Fostex T-series are planar too, but they are uncommon and not very developed. At the size of the OPPOs, they are definitely a new thing, as they used to be rather large, however.

Feb 15, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #11 of 11
As you said noise isolation is crucial for you, the headphones that excel at bass tends to offer such extreme isolation.

Here's the good-old thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-hardest-hitting-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club

Go for bass headphones as they will offer more isolation for deep bass. I can vouch for FOSTEX TH900 in this regard, as I usually listen to it while commuting.
Here's a huge list of isolating bass headphones list I found. Needless to say, TH900 are like pillows on my ears and offer good comfort for long hours.

Although you can go for airplane headphones, they are ANC and filter out the details for an audiophile.

Yes, go for FOSTEX TH900 away!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back