What Should I Buy Next?
Mar 29, 2002 at 3:53 PM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

I am itching for a different sound.

marmul, you are in deep trouble, if you're making a statement like that. Sounds like someone I know.
wink.gif

What's your budget, and which of the headphones that you have do you prefer?
confused.gif

Mar 29, 2002 at 4:13 PM Post #3 of 18
Actually, with that selection of cans, you don't really need to go any further. I know this might be considered heresy at this site but... you could always invest in more music and enjoy what you've got.

I'm sorry, what was I thinking???

You already have some excellent headphones and an amp. You've heard the Grado and Senn sound and are looking for something different....

Sounds to me like it's Etymotic 4P/S time!

Good luck!

Bruce

Mar 29, 2002 at 9:57 PM Post #5 of 18
If you want a taste of the Ety sound at a reasonable price, go for the ER6. If you like vocals and want to hear every little nuance in the music, you will most likely find them to your liking. And as Bruce mentioned in his post, Etys do provide a very different sonic signature than your other 'phones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2002 at 1:52 AM Post #7 of 18
'different' sound.. just how different?
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll suggest a good closed headphone.. either the Beyer 250-80 or 770pro, both will sound very different to what you have.

Maybe AKG-k501?
Sennheiser 280?
AT-W2002?
wink.gif

Mar 30, 2002 at 5:33 AM Post #8 of 18
On a budget, I'd either try out the Etymoric ER6 (which supposedly sounds close to the ER4P?) or the W100 at this point.

I'm like you--curious about everything, but I don't have any desire to keep them around once I've heard them and decided I liked some other sound better in a given circumstance.

To me, Beyers and Sennheisers are more similar than other brands are to each other so that wouldn't be quite so "new", though they are very good headphones.

I'd also be curious to try the Stax SRM-001 (the portable one).

Mar 30, 2002 at 4:19 PM Post #10 of 18
My experience with the ER6 was not quite the same as your, Pig. I had a difficult time getting a seal with the 6. Once I did, things sounded very good. Ears didn't FEEL good, but the sound was nice. But, still felt like there was something missing sonically. Got the ER4P/S and found out what exactly what I was missing... better range of sound (the ER 6 seemed to not handle upper treble well, didn't have the same soundstage as other headphones in the same price range, although the bass was good and midrange was wonderful!!!). The ER4 for me addressed those areas and were much more comfortable.

More importantly, they stopped (OK, attenuated) the urge urge to upgrade to better phones. The bad news: they reveal flaws in the rest of my system.

Just my experience.

Bruce

Mar 31, 2002 at 2:08 AM Post #11 of 18
A question . . .

Marmul lives in Chicago, right? If, per se, he were interested in some of the AT 'phones (W100, W2002) then how would he get his hands on them if they are only sold in Asia? I'm a bit curious about this matter as well . . . considering I don't live too close to Asia
rolleyes.gif
. Not trying to be difficult . . . just looking for solutions to this little dilemma.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2002 at 2:20 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by The Quality Guru
A question . . .

Marmul lives in Chicago, right? If, per se, he were interested in some of the AT 'phones (W100, W2002) then how would he get his hands on them if they are only sold in Asia? I'm a bit curious about this matter as well . . . considering I don't live too close to Asia
rolleyes.gif
. Not trying to be difficult . . . just looking for solutions to this little dilemma.
smily_headphones1.gif

First, you should contact Headroom and ask them for the W100 or W2002. When they say they don't have them say, "Why the hell not? I thought you guys were the authorities on headphones." Then come back to HeadFi. There were a few people who got them from Japan and Singapore and sold them here. If no one is still actively doing that, post a message in Gear For Sale/Trade to the effect of "WTB: W100" and I'm sure you'll get responses.

Mar 31, 2002 at 8:00 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly

First, you should contact Headroom and ask them for the W100 or W2002. When they say they don't have them say, "Why the hell not? I thought you guys were the authorities on headphones." Then come back to HeadFi. There were a few people who got them from Japan and Singapore and sold them here. If no one is still actively doing that, post a message in Gear For Sale/Trade to the effect of "WTB: W100" and I'm sure you'll get responses.

Or he can send a cheque to someone visiting from that part of the world, and let them shop around with nothing in specific. I love surprises, especially when it is not with my money.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back