What should I buy for my next headphone?
Jul 25, 2009 at 11:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

thechungster

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm just thinking of my future purchases. I've currently got a Grado HF2 (On order), and a pair of Sennheiser IE8s.
  1. I just want to expand my headphone collection with maybe a different sound signature.
  2. Don't really mind being open or closed.
  3. I mostly listen to electronic and rock (Indie+metal)
  4. Budget would be around £200, £300 would be the limit.
  5. Wouldn't mind using an amp since I'm buying a hifiman EF2 tube amp/DAC soon.

I'm pretty sure there will be a lot of people saying "Denon AH-D2000" but the temptation of modding (Such as doing the MarkL mod and custom wood cups) might overwhelm me and I might end up spending lots and lots on it instead. :/
Would like some opinions, thanks.

Jul 26, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #2 of 9
I was just going to suggest the denons...

For electronic you may want to take a look at the Sony sa5000. Fast and detailed though not known for their mids. Along the same line of a fast/detailed phone would be the DT880. As always, do try before you buy if you can although since you're in the UK that might not work. I think the 880's are a bit more widely liked - some people think the SA5000 are "plasticky." I would definitely consider either if I didn't have the AD2K's to fill my electronic needs.
Either of those two is outclassed by the HD800's (better in their strongpoints and without their respective weaknesses) but that's 4x your budget :p

Jul 26, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #5 of 9
There, changed the title ¬_¬ Seriously if you had something to recommend, it would have been very helpful. But instead you had to criticise about a title...of a thread. I doubt you actually read through the first post.

Jul 26, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #6 of 9
why not hold off until you listen to HF-2, and get an amp for it to see how you think they sound with the music you're considering. and how about saving a year and then getting yourself a super high end pair of cans?
devil_face.gif

Jul 26, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #7 of 9
Where is the fun in that
evil_smiley.gif

but yes... that would be the sensible thing to do.

look into the HD650 + amp as a great alternative to the Grado-sound.

Jul 26, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by nhancakes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and how about saving a year and then getting yourself a super high end pair of cans?
devil_face.gif

Since I don't have a job, saving up after a year will get me into the £200 area lol. I could do a painfully tiring job at a Chinese takeaway several times a week, but obviously that's one of those things. Also I can't just go up to my parents and ask them "Can I buy a pair of £1000 headphones" They already freaked out when I asked about the HF2's
tongue.gif

@Paaj. I'll look back into it, but people say that the IE8 sound like the HD650, so I'm not sure if I should get something so similar yet. I just want to try a different thing.

Jul 26, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #9 of 9
Skip the new phones. Get an amp instead, as your first post implied that you don't have one right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back