What should I buy for my first sett of pcfi solution?
Jul 30, 2016 at 12:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8
I'm currently looking for a pc-fi solution for SRH1840 to listen in my dorm(Also has a pair or HD600 but I probably only use them for classical music). the budget for the entire system excluding USB cable and headphones is around 2500$. Mostly listen to J-rock like NICO TOUCHES THE WALLS, metal like NIGHTWISH(not much, I consider their piece a bit too soft for me...), Slipknot and Halloween. Some Jazz piano, and some bit of Eric Clapton unplugged... Prefer a slightly-heavy, more dynamic, deep bass(not a big amount of bass),a mild mid, and a textured high frequency. The things I'm looking now Is
Schiit Gungnir with Ragnarok or something
The lyra2 or callia from Prism sound
meridian prime(My high school audiophile classmate suggest me to buy this, however I don't even know where to buy them lol)
Dac+amp all in one is preferred since I will live in student apartment. If possible I also don't want to use a heavy power source unit like these in RSA Raptor.
BTW, how did full size amp users find price for their equipment? I searched for Prism sound lyra2 and callia in their official website but didn't find a price but only a dealer locator, they say There's only one universal dealer in china but my friends told me there are some authorized resellers who get authorized products from this dealer. I just got totally confused... Same thing happened to meridian prime but this time when I search for it I only got reviews but nothing about official webpage and price...omg... request you help guys... I'm a bit messed up about my first set of non-portable stuff...
confused_face_2.gif

Jul 30, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #2 of 8
I'm currently looking for a pc-fi solution for SRH1840 to listen in my dorm(Also has a pair or HD600 but I probably only use them for classical music). the budget for the entire system excluding USB cable and headphones is around 2500$. Mostly listen to J-rock like NICO TOUCHES THE WALLS, metal like NIGHTWISH(not much, I consider their piece a bit too soft for me...), Slipknot and Halloween. Some Jazz piano, and some bit of Eric Clapton unplugged... Prefer a slightly-heavy, more dynamic, deep bass(not a big amount of bass),a mild mid, and a textured high frequency. The things I'm looking now Is
Schiit Gungnir with Ragnarok or something
The lyra2 or callia from Prism sound
meridian prime(My high school audiophile classmate suggest me to buy this, however I don't even know where to buy them lol)
Dac+amp all in one is preferred since I will live in student apartment. If possible I also don't want to use a heavy power source unit like these in RSA Raptor.
BTW, how did full size amp users find price for their equipment? I searched for Prism sound lyra2 and callia in their official website but didn't find a price but only a dealer locator, they say There's only one universal dealer in china but my friends told me there are some authorized resellers who get authorized products from this dealer. I just got totally confused... Same thing happened to meridian prime but this time when I search for it I only got reviews but nothing about official webpage and price...omg... request you help guys... I'm a bit messed up about my first set of non-portable stuff...:confused_face_2:

What exactly do you need? I'm a bit confused as to what you have already.

Jul 30, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #6 of 8
Yeah, get better headphones with that money and you'll get better sound.

For your first amp and DAC combo or DAC/amp unit, it would be better to just get something affordable. I used the Schiit Magni 2 Uber amp and Modi 2 DAC with lots of headphones. I was lucky because, with many headphones, I didn't even hear a difference between that and plugging directly into my laptop. (That depends on your computer.) And I found that the more affordable Schiit Fulla DAC/amp had enough power for nearly everything as well.

Jul 30, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #7 of 8
actually I consider them as initially around 700$...(There's a huge price drop for SRH1840 around these 2years in china, around almost 50 percent)   
I tried to drive 1840 directly with my paw gold and discover it's that kind of sound I like... but I know that sound lacks dynamic and I think It's the problem of current...I tried some hi-end amps to drive them and discover this headphone is the style I like and It has some potential...
Maybe I can think about to go for something like a hifi show or something to discover what bundle I will like...
  Yeah, get better headphones with that money and you'll get better sound.

For your first amp and DAC combo or DAC/amp unit, it would be better to just get something affordable. I used the Schiit Magni 2 Uber amp and Modi 2 DAC with lots of headphones. I was lucky because, with many headphones, I didn't even hear a difference between that and plugging directly into my laptop. (That depends on your computer.) And I found that the more affordable Schiit Fulla DAC/amp had enough power for nearly everything as well.

Jul 30, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #8 of 8
It doesn't make sense to me to spend $2500 on electronics for $500 headphones. You have it backwards
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually It's because I like this kind of style... It's probably because I haven't listened to some mainstream flagship...(have tried HD700, HE1000,HD600 and discover they are not exactly my like...)2500 is just a maximum because I want to get some space for upgrading my headphones, cables etc.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back