What should i buy for $100 hd555, sr225 dt440
Mar 6, 2005 at 5:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

thekid22

100+ Head-Fier
I'm really interested in buying a pair of Beyerdynamic DT440s. They come highly recommended, but seem to be too expensive.
I'm looking to pay about 100 or maybe 125, the only place i found to sell them in the US is Headroom for 160... anyone know of a retailer that might have the cheaper?

ALSO: If there is another pair I should be looking at??? I would love suggestions.
I am looking for an open set, that is somewhat portable, for use without an amp, I listen to live music and jamband/funk/jazz music. I will be listening through an ipod, and my computer.

I have read great things about the senn 555s (but was told that they might need to much power for Ipod use) and am interested in the grado sr225 (but worry a little about the comfort issue)

any great suggestions???

Mar 6, 2005 at 5:43 AM Post #2 of 23
Bose Triports? <puts on metal suit>

Hehe just kidding
tongue.gif

The Grado's arent that uncomfortable really, its just after an hour or two, it'll make your ears sore. However, those HD555's really don't need that much amplification unless your one of those people who listen to their music so loud they can make an HD280 distort.

Mar 6, 2005 at 5:43 AM Post #3 of 23
Where are you located? I live near a dealer in Boston that carries these Beyer headphones for a little cheaper than what you have mentioned.

I should also point out that the Grado SR225s are about 100 dollars too much given your budget restraint. However, they are incredible headphones and IMO worth the extra cash - if you can handle the Grado comfort levels. They aren't THAT bad - they are much better than stock headphones or earbuds, but they just aren't as good in comparison to, say, a Sennheiser or Beyer.

The HD555s don't need any additional power at all, that's definitely not true. Even out of a portable, they are fine. Any headphone, however, will benefit from an amp. The HD5x5 series benefits only slightly. They are not a good headphone, in my opinion. I really hate that headphone from Sennheiser, and I like just about every other headphone line from that company.

I think that for the cash you are looking at spending, you would be very well-off with the AKG K240 headphones. They are open, and are just the most fun headphones in the world. They are so groovy, that they'd be perfect for your musical tastes. Really nice bass for some of those awesome jazz bass lines, and fun and punchy enough for Jam band music. They may need a little more power to sound their best from a portable or your computer, but they sound very good out of the box too. Plus, they are one of the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn.

Hope this helps.
EDIT:
http://www.bayviewproaudio.com/custo...roductid=19185

You can buy them here for $99.00

Mar 6, 2005 at 5:50 AM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
I should also point out that the Grado SR225s are about 100 dollars too much given your budget restraint.

I was going to say, if you can get the SR225s for $100 new...please share where!! But I guess that was just wishful thinking...
biggrin.gif

But my wallet is thankful...hehe...

Mar 6, 2005 at 6:12 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxATOLxX
Bose Triports? <puts on metal suit>

Hehe just kidding
tongue.gif

The Grado's arent that uncomfortable really, its just after an hour or two, it'll make your ears sore. However, those HD555's really don't need that much amplification unless your one of those people who listen to their music so loud they can make an HD280 distort.

Just out of curiosity how did your HD280's die?

Mar 6, 2005 at 8:21 AM Post #8 of 23
ok, sounds like I should go with the Grado sr225's (someone is actually offering them used to me for 125, thats where i found that price).

Before I do, anyone have a great reason I should hold out/search harder for the Beyer dt440s? my friend (worked at a high end audio store) just raved about them?

I guess I'll definitely cross the hd555s of my list, and check out the akg 240s but headroom also said they shoud be used with an amp http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?...tID=0020120245

Mar 6, 2005 at 9:18 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by thekid22
ok, sounds like I should go with the Grado sr225's (someone is actually offering them used to me for 125, thats where i found that price).

Before I do, anyone have a great reason I should hold out/search harder for the Beyer dt440s? my friend (worked at a high end audio store) just raved about them?

I guess I'll definitely cross the hd555s of my list, and check out the akg 240s but headroom also said they shoud be used with an amp http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?...tID=0020120245

You might also want to check the circumaural pads for the grado's. They kind of eliminate the comfort issue. http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...74#post1275374

Mar 6, 2005 at 11:36 AM Post #10 of 23
You are in a win win situation. I use SR225's for semi portable use and they are great. Further, if they comfort is too much of an issue (Give it like a week, they took me a bit of adjusting), you can easily sell them for $145ish on these forums. Making a modest profit in the process.

Mark

Mar 6, 2005 at 11:56 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by thekid22

I guess I'll definitely cross the hd555s of my list, and check out the akg 240s

You shouldn't cross the HD555, since it's better than the K240S and, more mildly, than the DT440. At least if you value the most its key qualities: neutrality, coherence, really good clarity, soundstage -- which make it the best choice out of the three for acoustic music and the like.
Plus it's extremely comfortable and has 'fresh' earpads.

Anyway the SR225 is a pretty good headphne, if much more characterized, which may or may not be what you like and want.

Mar 6, 2005 at 12:13 PM Post #13 of 23
Consider that the SR225 only come with 1/4" headphone jack... so you'll need an adapter to use this direct with the ipod
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2005 at 5:03 PM Post #15 of 23
thanks to all:
voting on sound, comfort, portability, price, looks (in that order)

do I want:
sr225 for 125

hd555 for 100?

I'd love the typical "xxx because xyz"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back