What should I buy, $150 or less?
Aug 17, 2009 at 1:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

nonothing

New Head-Fier
This is my first post, so hi all. Everyone here seems to know a lot about headphones.

So I have been reading around and found some interesting information. I currently have a pair of Skullcandy Hesh, which actually have been the best pair of head phones I have owned. I have owned a variety of cheap koss and got to play around with me buddies 125$ pair of bose, and mine are still better. But through some research it actually seems like even I have cheapo's for the price.

I enjoy base, but I listen to a completely random types of music, from Oprah, to country, hip-hop, rap, all over the place.

I am looking for over the ears head phones, the hesh starts to bother the flesh on the outter rim of my ears after 3-4 hours and I wear them 5-6 hours everyday.

I need something that blocks out the noise around me as I live in a noisy home, and I do need something that blocks a little bit of the noise given off by the headphones because not everyone in my home likes to hear my music, and I do like to listen to it blasting. Nothing that needs batteries please.

Sennheiser HD-280 Professional Headphones have been on my mind, but I am wondering if I can get better quality for my price. I see they are about 80$-90$ on amazon which leaves me with a few extra dollars to spare. And I am willing to take a little less quality in sound as long as it is made up for in durability. My hesh are very durable, but I want better sound+decent durability.

Any recommendations?

Aug 17, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #2 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by nonothing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I enjoy bass, ... random types of music, from Oprah, to country, hip-hop, rape, all over the place.

Never heard of that genre before :p.

Anyways, I think the D2000 would be a good choice for you, but it's not that low of a price at ~200-250... maybe try the FS forum?

Aug 17, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #3 of 27
Oprah makes music?!
confused_face.gif

very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 17, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adreneline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Never heard of that genre before :p.

Anyways, I think the D2000 would be a good choice for you, but it's not that low of a price at ~200-250... maybe try the FS forum?

Haha, yeah I should of known better, I changed it.

And the SRH840 are too expensive for me. $200. And really what is the difference between headphones made for the studio and headphones made for your home? Some of the descriptions for these headphones made it sound like studio designed head phones offer more clarity so you can edit music better. Kinda like home orientated head phones would produce a sound more pleasing because it doesn't worry about having to edit certain sounds.

Aug 17, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Haha, yeah I should of known better, I changed it.

And the SRH840 are too expensive for me. $200. And really what is the difference between headphones made for the studio and headphones made for your home? Some of the descriptions for these headphones made it sound like studio designed head phones offer more clarity so you can edit music better. Kinda like home orientated head phones would produce a sound more pleasing because it doesn't worry about having to edit certain sounds.

Ignore that "studio" term. It's most often put in there by the marketing department. Most headphones these days seem to say "studio monitor" or "DJ" on the packaging. You are right, true studio phones will be neutral and detailed. But most consumer headphones don't have those qualities (the Shure might, but I haven't heard it).

Aug 17, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #7 of 27
DT770 Pro 80 Ohm, $150 new at GuitarCenter or even less somewhere at ebay (new or used) or FS forums here (used).

Aug 17, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by nyjets28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't think the hd280 could be worn comfortably for 5-6 hrs/day, imo.

Same to DT770 Pro. Probably DT770 / 250 Ohm (Customer edition) or Denon D2000 fit the bill. Though I doubt that any closed can is comfortable for 5-6 hrs.

Aug 17, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT770 Pro 80 Ohm, $150 new at GuitarCenter or even less somewhere at ebay (new or used) or FS forums here (used).

I agree with this. It has plenty of bass, isolates, it is within the price range, is damn near indestructible, and in my opinion is plenty comfortable for long listening sessions. I can't think of another headphone that better fits all of these criteria.

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:09 AM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with this. It has plenty of bass, isolates, it is within the price range, is damn near indestructible, and in my opinion is plenty comfortable for long listening sessions. I can't think of another headphone that better fits all of these criteria.

Aw man those DT770 Pro 80 Ohm look pretty nice, but I just can't buy used. The cheapest supposedly new are 169$ on ebay that I could find. Probably a good deal, but I don't know.

But on the same note, is everyone saying that the DT770 Pro 80 Ohm and the hd280 have about the same fit over the ears? with the exception of the durability issue?

Edit: Ebay cheapest 162$
Edit: I'm half tarded. hd280

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

But on the same note, is everyone saying that the DT770 Pro 80 Ohm and the DT770 Pro 80 Ohm have about the same fit over the ears? with the exception of the durability issue?

Did you mean to list two different headphones instead of the 770 twice? And you can make an offer on the headphones on eBay.

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

But on the same note, is everyone saying that the DT770 Pro 80 Ohm and the DT770 Pro 80 Ohm have about the same fit over the ears? with the exception of the durability issue?

They fit comfortably around my ears. My ears are slightly larger than normal (I think).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back