What should be next? *Upgraditis*
Mar 7, 2008 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kydsid

500+ Head-Fier
Right now I have an iMod to a minibox e+. I have been using my old trusty SR225's that I have used at home for a long time. Everything must go portable now because of work situation. I also recently picked up some HD595's. Decent cans and give me the feel I want for my heavy metal and old school rock, sounds closer to what I remember in my youth than the 225's do. Don't get me wrong for almost everything I listen to my 225s, love the Grado sound, always have.

I'd like to get something to be more portable though than the 595's and compliment the 225s. I was thinking of some ATH ESW9's or possible HFI780. Is this the way to go? Or should I be looking into a complimentary amp to the minibox e+?

Mar 7, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #2 of 8
If you like the Grado's sound, you might wanna move up in the line up. You might wanna look at RS2 or RS1 if your budget allows...

Mar 8, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #6 of 8
I like a more forward sound. My main issue with the hfi780 is the size, can get over that though. I was hoping for something in near the grado size. I mean I recently tried out the DT770/80 and was shocked by how huge they are, the pictures of them do not make them seem that big.

I think the RS1/2 would be a waste with the current setup. Is my portable system worthy of such a phone?

Mar 8, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #7 of 8
Something Grado size that isn't Grados? I think about every increase in SQ from the 225s are going to be circumaural. Unless you went to IEMs, if you like a bright treble-ish sound maybe some Etymotics ER-4s, or even some UEs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back