What should be my next upgrade? Budget of around $350
Feb 23, 2014 at 2:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Feel-Like-Ninja

New Head-Fier
I currently have a Sony MDR-V55 and a Sennheiser HD419, both of which are fairly low-end sub $100 headphones. I also have a Fiio E10 amp/dac. I'm looking for a good pair of open headphones that offer non-fatiguing sound and good clarity in the mids and highs. Bass is not much of a concern, a little will do. I'm currently looking at the K712, but would like some opinion before jumping on that one. Since my budget is around $350 max, I can't afford an amp or dac and I'm not sure how well the K712 will run on my fiio e10. I'm open to options so please leave any recommendations that you have. I've never listened to any other headphones besides my own so I'm not sure about the different sound signatures on headphones, I'm just looking for a good pair of clear sounding headphones that will be a step up from my current ones. Thanks  in advance  ! 

Feb 23, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #3 of 8
The HD600 is not available in my price range at where I live, but I might be interested in the HD598. The problem is that the HD598 is gonna end up at the same price as the K712 for me, and I feel the K712 might be better in that case. Anyways I'm gonna look into it. What about the Beyerdynamic DT series? 

Feb 23, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #4 of 8
I'm not personally a fan of the Beyers, but I can't deny the DT 880's are a great set of cans despite the scooped mids. They're pretty neutral with a bit more on the trebl-y side. The DT 990 have lots of bass and treble, but if you're into an exciting sound, it might be worth a look.

Make sure if you get the Beyers what version and impedance of the phones you're getting and if you can drive them. 

Feb 24, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #5 of 8
  The HD600 is not available in my price range at where I live, but I might be interested in the HD598. The problem is that the HD598 is gonna end up at the same price as the K712 for me, and I feel the K712 might be better in that case. Anyways I'm gonna look into it. What about the Beyerdynamic DT series? 

The FiiO E10 should be able to drive the (62-Ohm) AKG K712 Pro.
But you might want to read up and ask questions on this thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/659251/the-akg-k712-pro-support-and-appreciation-thread

Audio Technica ATH-AD900X (40-Ohm) open headphones ($21-$220) are very easy to drive, no problem for the E10.

Feb 24, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #6 of 8
  I currently have a Sony MDR-V55 and a Sennheiser HD419, both of which are fairly low-end sub $100 headphones. I also have a Fiio E10 amp/dac. I'm looking for a good pair of open headphones that offer non-fatiguing sound and good clarity in the mids and highs. Bass is not much of a concern, a little will do. I'm currently looking at the K712, but would like some opinion before jumping on that one. Since my budget is around $350 max, I can't afford an amp or dac and I'm not sure how well the K712 will run on my fiio e10. I'm open to options so please leave any recommendations that you have. I've never listened to any other headphones besides my own so I'm not sure about the different sound signatures on headphones, I'm just looking for a good pair of clear sounding headphones that will be a step up from my current ones. Thanks  in advance  ! 

I am a newbie, but looking at your budget of $350, I think the Sony MDR 1R would fit right in.

Feb 24, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #7 of 8
I bought a pair of Hifiman HE-300 revision 2s about a week ago, and I love them so far.

They definitely have nice mids and decent but not overpowering bass.  They are a 'darker' sounding headphone, though, and the treble is a bit laid back.  They are definitely non-fatiguing and good for casual listening (they work great with jazz, vocal, classic rock; though they don't do classical particularly well for my tastes, but I don't listen to it as much as other genres).

The soundstage isn't all that great, but it's not terrible either.  Kind of a 'small jazz club' feel to it.

Just saw them on Amazon for $195 new.  Hell of a price for the quality you get.  HD598s are also a good deal on Amazon right now.

They play well off of my S4, computer, and Ipod, but I will be looking at a dac/amp combo (hence my other thread in this sub-forum).

If your budget is 350, buying one of these should leave you very happy and leave you with more money in your pocket.

EDIT:  You could also look at the HE-300s bigger brother, the HE-400, which is going for 279-299 new.  It is an orthodynamic while the 300 is dynamic.

Hifiman products are good bang for buck IMO.  I have the Re-400 IEMs and they have fantastic sound and only cost $99

Mar 24, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #8 of 8
How about a sony 7520, i know you live around dubai so you can come and check mine if interested, and i have a guy who can get you a pair of these for around $300

Users who are viewing this thread

Back