What should a perfect custom IEM fit feel like?
Aug 23, 2009 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jelt2359

Headphoneus Supremus
Just got my first set of customs.. I have great seal and the sound is fantastic, but both ears clearly feel very different.

My left is like an ear plug. No matter what I do, it is very snugly in, and it gives an extremely tight seal. It's also harder to insert for that reason. My right is easier to insert and seals well, but sometimes when I lean on my right side, it moves around and the seal is breaks slightly. It is also definitely not 'tight'.

My question is, which fit should I be aiming for? The right or the left? JHA's turnaround time is really long and since my seal's not an issue under normal circumstances I wanted to solicit opinions before acting. Also, will I need to retake impressions? I suspect this problem came about because of how I take my impressions- my mouth was definitely wider and open longer/from the start when I did my left..

Aug 23, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #2 of 8
The left sounds about right, but it shouldn't be hard to put it. If the seal breaks just from you leaning, then it's not proper and needs to be re-fit. Seals should only be broken when you break them when taking them out, or on occasions for some chewing on foods.

Aug 23, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #3 of 8
I too am a newbie when it comes to customs. I'll be getting my ES3xs pretty soon and I'm a bit nervous about the fit... hopefully it'll be good, but can anyone answer the OP's question about new impressions? I assume if you get a refit that you need new impressions taken. It seems logical anyway.

Aug 23, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nar1117 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I too am a newbie when it comes to customs. I'll be getting my ES3xs pretty soon and I'm a bit nervous about the fit... hopefully it'll be good, but can anyone answer the OP's question about new impressions? I assume if you get a refit that you need new impressions taken. It seems logical anyway.

It is best to get new impressions, however sometimes the manufacturer is able to tweak the mold that was made of your impression and have them redone with you have to send new impressions in.

Aug 23, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #6 of 8
Tell JH Audio about your fit issues. Even if they are small. They can probably tweak them to be "just right".

Just tell them that you have a Goldilocks problem. One is a bit too tight, the other is a bit too loose. You need them just right.

Aug 23, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #7 of 8
When you first put them in, you should feel a slight vacuum feel to it.
But, the key is that it should be easy to forget they're in.

Edit: i'm making this assessment from my custom ear plugs.

i have the same issue. i can get my UEs in my left ear- no problem. But the right ear is buggered NO MATTER what i do.

Just got my complytips and i'm not impressed...

Aug 25, 2009 at 10:32 AM Post #8 of 8
Thanks guys! I've contacted Brittany about this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back