What should a good seal feel like?
Mar 22, 2012 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

the88thpianoman

New Head-Fier
One of the first differences I've noticed between my long used CX300's and my new M4's, is that when I achieved a good seal with the Sennheisers, it would feel neutral in terms of pressure. The M4's I seem to have a difficult time getting a good seal without feeling negative pressure or suction, similar to taking off on an airplane. I'm getting this feeling with the stock silicone tips and the Sony hybrids. I don't get this with the Comply tips, but I find them to be uncomfortable for more than a few minutes and the treble reduction makes them sound slightly muffled.

I can't imagine that the negative pressure feeling is normal for a good seal, because it also wrecks the perceived sound quality. Is this a typical issue to overcome? Should I be trying multi-flange tips or something else? I would appreciate any suggestions.

Mar 22, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #2 of 12
I know with my Hippo VB they sound completely out of sync unless I do have a suction seal as they create fair amounts of SPL, there's no pressure change in my ears though. Basically you should be able to take your IEM's out and have the Sony hybrids turn inside out on removal. Try switching to something like double flange tips. Also try popping your ears lightly before wearing them. (hold your nose and blow) Those double flange tips do create a nice seal without being completely air tight. 

Sometimes it takes several tips before you can get the right fit. 

Mar 22, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #3 of 12
The M4s do have a tendency to have that suction seal, which goes hand in hand with the driver flex. However, the suction does indicate you're getting a seal, so just leave it and wait for the pressure to slowly even out.

Mar 22, 2012 at 4:39 AM Post #4 of 12
To me, a good seal feels like being isolated from the outside world, in my own small headstage, while being unable to hear the person trying to talk to me while music is playing. 
rolleyes.gif

Mar 22, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #5 of 12
Uh, stick both of your index fingers into your ears for several seconds and hear the silence and feel the lack of air movement -- that is what a good seal feels like.

Mar 23, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #7 of 12
I appreciate the suggestions. I know what a good seal sounds like, but the suction I was getting with the M4 absolutely killed sound quality and reduced volume by a large margin, so I presume that the pressure difference was great enough that the driver was unable to move properly. However, now that I have my second pair of M4's and have returned the first pair for a defective left driver, I've concluded that the extreme pressure difference was caused by excessive driver flex, as my second pair does not flex quite as much, nor create as much suction once I get a good seal on them. Still a bit more than I would prefer/am used to, as I never got that from my CX300's, and I did get excellent isolation from those. I will try a set of double flanged tips and see if that's a bit better. I'm frequently pulling them in and out of my ears, so having to wait a few minutes to let pressure equalize each time is quite annoying. Thanks for the input. Any suggestions for specific double flange tips, or all they all pretty much the same?

Mar 23, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #8 of 12
Just quickly. I was reading yesterday about pressure built up hearing if you drop your jaw open it helps the pressure equalize quicker. Worth a try I guess, but I think double flange like the ones I suggested on page one will do the trick. 

Mar 28, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
I appreciate the suggestions. I know what a good seal sounds like, but the suction I was getting with the M4 absolutely killed sound quality and reduced volume by a large margin, so I presume that the pressure difference was great enough that the driver was unable to move properly. However, now that I have my second pair of M4's and have returned the first pair for a defective left driver, I've concluded that the extreme pressure difference was caused by excessive driver flex, as my second pair does not flex quite as much, nor create as much suction once I get a good seal on them. Still a bit more than I would prefer/am used to, as I never got that from my CX300's, and I did get excellent isolation from those. I will try a set of double flanged tips and see if that's a bit better. I'm frequently pulling them in and out of my ears, so having to wait a few minutes to let pressure equalize each time is quite annoying. Thanks for the input. Any suggestions for specific double flange tips, or all they all pretty much the same?

perhaps while you're putting them in you could pull on the back of your earlobe to widen the ear canal as it goes in so you don't get the vacuum seal until it's all the way in. It's kind of hard to explain, but go check out the Etymotic instructional videos, which show you how to do it.

Mar 28, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
perhaps while you're putting them in you could pull on the back of your earlobe to widen the ear canal as it goes in so you don't get the vacuum seal until it's all the way in. It's kind of hard to explain, but go check out the Etymotic instructional videos, which show you how to do it.

I know exactly what you're talking about, but couldn't get a good feeling with that either. I ordered up some triple flange tips to try those out, I expect better results with those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back