What setup for the office?
Oct 31, 2002 at 12:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

FilH

New Head-Fier
I enjoy listening to music while working, and decided to invest in a system dedicated for this for arround £300/450USD.
Presently I use either a Sony MZ33 portable MD player or a VideoLogic SonicFury soundcard (www.guru3d.com/review/sonicfury) when listening to MP3/CD's on the computer.
I use my Beyer Dt250's with both of these two sources.

Should I get one of the new sony net MD's and maybe an amp (which one?)?
I don't care about compression rates to fit hours of music on an MD, prefer not to compress anything for the extra sound quality; but it would be nice to keep things fairly portable if that isn't to affect sound performance.

I'm open to sugestions!
Thanks
Fil

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 31, 2002 at 5:07 PM Post #2 of 19
Hey Fil !!

I just came here to welcome you ... Sorry for your wallet...(standart greeting arround...)

I'm sure lots of head-fiers will be here helping you, better than me.

Best

Ari

Nov 1, 2002 at 12:11 AM Post #4 of 19
Fil
I'm not familliar with the Net MDs (or MD in general).

Some amps I would recommend in your price range include:

Corda HA-1 from www.meier-audio.com $345 assembled - wall power only

META42 built by Head-Fi member KurtW, JMT or Tangent - battery powered if needed, prices vary between $150-300 depending on what you get in, talk to the indivuduals for details and specific prices

Do searches here on Head-Fi for reviews and other peoples opinions of these two. I think they're very good performance for the price and both have a small footprint.

For work, you probably don't want to mess with the larger amps and with tube amps. If you do there are others I would recommend.

Nov 1, 2002 at 12:22 AM Post #5 of 19
The NetMD's would degrade quality. Although they are in effect regular MD recorders apart from the NetMD functionality, the maximum quality of the music that you can transfer using NetMD mode is LP2 (132k ATRAC). They do have an SP mode, but this is actually written to the MD using 'expanded' LP2 data and is for compatibility with older MD's only.

LP2 isn't bad at all - certainly on a par with 160-192K MP3, but it's definitely compressed.

Unless you record on the move, it may be a better idea to get a top of the line non-NetMD player, and a high speed CD->MD dubbing deck. These dub at true SP quality (i.e. 292K or something like that ATRAC).

And if you do get a NetMD portable (or a current top-range player), you'll definitely need an amp to power your DT250's beyond a gnat squeak. Presuming you're looking at a NetMD portable and not a deck, a portable one might suit better? Meier Audio (same link as above) sell the Porta Corda pocket amps.

Nov 1, 2002 at 8:32 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by FilH
Obrigado ("thanks" for the non portuguese speaking)

De nada....Fil !!

See? This guys are experts !!

Fil, at home I have a micro-ZOTL driving a
HD 600 headphone.

For work, I did order a Etymotic 4P/S and I'm waiting a META 42 Tangent built amp. I'll be using a MD as source.

And for super portable setup, Ety's and JMT CH 47 Altoids...

Ety's and Altoids are ready waiting for delivery at my daughter's. Meta 42 is "under construction"...

Best

Ari

Nov 1, 2002 at 3:32 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

For work, you probably don't want to mess with the larger amps and with tube amps. If you do there are others I would recommend.

The ASL MG Head OTL is a great little tube amp that doesn't take up much space on a desk.

And my source? A Sony CDP-M555ES 400-disc megachanger! I have it under my desk, away from my feet so I don't kick it around. I use the remote to control it; I only have to crawl under my desk to load CDs into it, to the amusement of my co-workers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Who says you can't have a great headphone system in a cubicle?
smily_headphones1.gif

KJP

Nov 1, 2002 at 5:47 PM Post #8 of 19
Ahhh, the work setup requires some versatility. At times you want closed phones in order to be totally isolated and not bother co-workers (if you don't have your own office). Other times you want slightly open headphones so you can hear the phone ring or people knocking on your door. I normally listen to an open set during busy office hours (I have my own office, so sound leakage is not a problem), and then a closed set later in the afternoon when it's less likely that I'll get calls or visits.

I switch off between a pair of Sony earbuds (888lp) for open listening and AT-w100s for closed. Both sound fantastic out of my EMP. I'm also anxiously awaiting a pair of Sony F1s. Hopefully they will live up to expectations.

Nov 1, 2002 at 6:26 PM Post #9 of 19
I have a rio riot, with a 20 gig HD, a cosmic and Senn HD-580s. It is a perfect solution for my office. Sounds great and takes up less room than a paperback book.

Nov 1, 2002 at 6:28 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Kevin P
The ASL MG Head OTL is a great little tube amp that doesn't take up much space on a desk.

And my source? A Sony CDP-M555ES 400-disc megachanger! I have it under my desk, away from my feet so I don't kick it around. I use the remote to control it; I only have to crawl under my desk to load CDs into it, to the amusement of my co-workers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Who says you can't have a great headphone system in a cubicle?
smily_headphones1.gif

KJP

You, are a lunatic !
biggrin.gif

Of course I mean that in the "why didn't I think of that" kind of way
tongue.gif

Nov 1, 2002 at 6:52 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Of course I mean that in the "why didn't I think of that" kind of way
tongue.gif

Wait until I add an external DAC to my rig some day!
eek.gif

My lunacy can be explained by the fact that I've been working in this place for too many years, and/or was listening to a crappy headphone system for too many of those years.
smily_headphones1.gif
I still can't stand my job, but at least I enjoy the tunes!

Maybe I should get into the specialty cubicle audio system business!
smily_headphones1.gif

KJP

P.S. I do most of my music listening at work, so it makes sense to have my best audio system there, right?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 14, 2002 at 10:29 AM Post #12 of 19
Here's what I think I'll do:

1/ Buy the Porta Corda to use in the office and long trips/flights.

2/ Buy a Sony MZN1 to replace my MZ33 MD player.

3/ Get a pair a ER6 mainly to use outdoors.

I feel that the MD will enable me to record MP3's in order to listen to new music, and at the same time be able to listen to MD recorded from CD (not compressed) w/ near CD quality and smaller than discmans.

Any comments?

Cheers
Fil

Nov 14, 2002 at 10:38 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by FilH
Here's what I think I'll do:

1/ Buy the Porta Corda to use in the office and long trips/flights.

Cheers
Fil

get a 28V PSU to go with the Porta Corda in the office and youd be rockin
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back