what setting should i rip to ogg at?
Dec 13, 2003 at 8:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

TheMuffinMan_01

500+ Head-Fier
space is not an issue really. i have about 600 songs to fill a 20 gig (got the 20 because it wasn't that much more expensive than the 10 for me, and i like having the extra room) i will be using the ihp with the ogg's for my senn 580's so i want good quality.

Dec 13, 2003 at 9:01 PM Post #2 of 7
Encoding "transparency" occurs at different quality settings for different people. I personally can not tell the difference in 99% of tracks (using ABX testing) for Ogg at Q7. Q7 has an average bitrate of around 224kbps. I think there's been only like 2 examples where I could finally tell a difference after INTENSLY listening. After looping a 10second snippit of a Dave Matthews drum track for like 10 minutes to train my ear to hear it. So, if you aren't archiving and will have a lossless version of your music when all is said and done (ie: a CD) then you may want to go down to Q6 which averages 192k just to be able to squeeze more songs.

I think if size is no concern, just use Q8 or Q9 .. or heck just go all out with Q10. You can get all sorts of testing applications to do your own evaluation between different quality settings but for the most part Q6 and above will all sound so close to the original, that you won't notice the difference. ESPECIALLY if you aren't looking to hear it and are rather just listening to music.

YMMV

Dec 13, 2003 at 9:18 PM Post #3 of 7
can the ihp read stuff above 320? its stats say it can't... but is that for mp3's or non vbr media?

EDIT: it says it can support ogg at 32-500 bit rate... but is that average bit rate or can it not go over 500?

Dec 13, 2003 at 10:52 PM Post #4 of 7
I encode all of the wav files on my computer through OggDrop and they come out at bit rate of 197. Sounds good on my ihp-120 to me
tongue.gif

Dec 14, 2003 at 12:29 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by TheMuffinMan_01
can the ihp read stuff above 320? its stats say it can't... but is that for mp3's or non vbr media?

Of course the iHP can read higher than 320 kb/s - that number is just for mp3s. It can playback WAV files and act as a decent harddrive, so its read numbers (luckily) aren't limited to 320kb/s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back