What Sense could you not live without?!
Jan 18, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #46 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by paara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I meant for the ability to live/injure yourself.
I totaly agree that sense is very imortant in daily activity
smily_headphones1.gif

Without feeling of touch you become totaly dependent on sight for any activities.

I meant you couldn't be able to perform the simplest tasks as taking a glass of water, walking...ecc. Of course, as someone mentioned earlier, sex wouldn't be that fun either.

Jan 18, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #47 of 72
What about the sensation of emotions/love. It is not strictly a sense, but everybody (almost) have the ability to feel emotions and interpret emotions in others.

Jan 18, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #49 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by NajoBB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I meant you couldn't be able to perform the simplest tasks as taking a glass of water, walking...ecc. Of course, as someone mentioned earlier, sex wouldn't be that fun either.

You could do all of this, but you need to observe yourself doing it, because you cant feel where your limbs are, and when the glass (for example) touches your lips. But you are still able to do it if you look at your arm continuously observing where the glass is. Of course it would be awful, but still you can do stuff.
You can talk, hear, be with friends, etc. but your life would need to be in slow motion.

After thinking about it I move touch up to the second most important sense, tied with hearing, you convinced me
smily_headphones1.gif
, but still not as important as sight

To get a feeling of what it would be to loose the sense of touch, imagine being paralyzed. It is a little worse because you are both deprived of touch and the ability to move.
And then to being blind

I would rather be paralyzed then blind, but barely

Jan 18, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #50 of 72
As wierd as it might seem on audiophile forum, I choose hearing. While music is important part of my life, its still just a small part of the whole. Loosing sense like sight would impair normal living to the point that you are almost completely dependant on others.

I would probaply kill myself if I couldnt not taste the wonderful taste of good food anymore. I love food and drink! On a side note, my aunts husband doesnt have taste nor smell (they are related afterall), never had since birth. I wonder what it feels like to only sensate sweet, salty and sour on mouth, but cant really taste the flavors? I guess comments like "eat sh**" has little meaning for him...
biggrin.gif

Touch would make everything you do impossible. Just trying to grab a glass of water would be a feat, as you could easily squeeze so hard that it shatters in your hands (with bloody mess) or slip through your fingers. It makes controlling muscle strength very difficult. No way.

Smell was already covered, if you lose your ability to smell you automatically lose your ability to taste, other than sweet, salty and sour that is.

That leaves hearing. I might loose some wonderfull things but how it impaires your life is adaptable.

Jan 18, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #51 of 72
Which Sense could you not live without?

Common sense... and shouldn't this belong to the Members' Lounge?

Jan 18, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #52 of 72
I'm sort of partial to all of them. Good time to acknowledge and appreciate them. I'm going to bake my senses some cookies. They smell, taste, look, feel great, and if you put them to your ear, they sound delicious.

Jan 18, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #53 of 72
@paara
Now we almost agree
smily_headphones1.gif

However, if i can chose i prefer being blind and being able to drastically improve my hearing (
atsmile.gif
), smell, taste and most importantly move and feel. However, those two (touch and sight) are still my two most important senses even though I'm a head-fier.

Jan 18, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #54 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by jenneth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... and shouldn't this belong to the Members' Lounge?

Didn't even know that there was a Members' Lounge (General Discussion) until now...
Ignorance is a bliss.
Need to scroll more..

Jan 29, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #56 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Touch would make everything you do impossible. Just trying to grab a glass of water would be a feat, as you could easily squeeze so hard that it shatters in your hands (with bloody mess) or slip through your fingers. It makes controlling muscle strength very difficult. No way.

That's the thing. Without the sense of touch, how are you going to tell your body to move to begin with?

You're basically a paraplegic, but instead of being paralyzed, your brain might randomly send out impulses that cause your body to move (too bad you can't control those impulses because they're part of your unconscious motor skills, which gets feedback from *gasp!* your sense of touch). Eventually you die because you spazz out near a hot stove or something equally stupid.

The sense of touch beats every other sense if you really get down to survival, but few people realize what they'd lose without the sense of touch, so they almost always choose sight (Arguably the second most important for obvious reasons).

Jan 31, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #57 of 72
Seeing as i'm into graphical design and illustration im gonna have to go with sight. I'm not gonna take into account touch cause i don't see how you could actually live (as in you'd die) without it. Of course if i lost my sight i dunno id wanna continue living. O_O

Jan 31, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #58 of 72
I must admit I thought first it would be sight. I would hate the thought of stumbling around. From what I have heard though, amazing things can and do happen for the blind. For those things to happen, one would need the sense of hearing. Add to that my passion for music, I couldn't stand the thought of not being able to hear that which nourishes my soul.

Jan 31, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #59 of 72
Without touch you wouldnt be able to move??? Touch first.
Then sight.

Honestly, taste and smell would likely only improve overall health as foods like fettuccine wouldn't taste good hah. Smell is pretty overrated imo too, there are occasions when smell is a double-edged sword.
Hearing would be bad also, but not worse then sight, a lot of those whom are deaf can learn to read lips. Though spanish or cantonese would be quite the curveball :p.

Order of importance:
Touch
Sight
Hearing
Smell
Taste

Dave

Jan 31, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #60 of 72
I have no idea tho I would say smell, but then that would include not being able to smell food and any other good stuff.

I sure you could get away without hearing and just buy Two hearing aids, But I wouldnt want to loose that either.

Then it be kind of hard to go on without touch as if there was a fire in your house, you wouldnt know if its behind your door without being able to touch the door to feel heat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back