what rotory switch for dual output on DAC
Sep 22, 2010 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

deandake

New Head-Fier
Hi all. long time lurker and first time poster. I am in the process of building the Opus DAC. This will be connected to my PC as my source. From the DAC I want to select two outputs. One out to my future headphone amp and then the other to my future speaker amp or amps.
Where I am getting confused is the selection of the rotory switch. One or two poles and then the different decks. I am guessing at this time that I want a 2 pole with two positions. Would this be correct?

Sep 22, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #2 of 5
Why not a splitter? Turn the amp or preamp off (or down) if you want to listen to the other thing. 

You are making this much harder than it needs to be.

If you reallllly want a switch, build it externally to the DAC in its own little box. If you ever sell the DAC the next owner may not think as highly of additional switches in the signal path. or empty holes in the chassis where the switch was...

Most people would advocate switching the ground, although with 1 signal to 2 amps Im not sure how important that actually is. When you use the switcher for 2 sources to 1 amp the switched ground will be to your benefit.
4pdt if you want to switch ground
dpdt if you want simple.

Sep 23, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the reply
The idea of the signal headed out to unpowered amps doesn't bode well with my brain. I am sure that it would work fine and that I would never notice it sonically but it seems dirty to me It's just the way my head works. I hadn't even considered a toggle. Now you have me thinking of a relay switching system. hmmmmm There I go again making things harder than they need to be.
Honestly, I prefer a rotory switch look on the face of the dac more that a toggle.

Oh yeah, and yes, I want to switch ground.

Sep 24, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #5 of 5
MisterX....I think I smell a really good suggestion from you. Never made a PCB but heck, I am up for the challenge.   Of course, I say that now,
confused_face.gif
.   Hmmmm, me likes the Otto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back