What replaced Rock?
Nov 26, 2009 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Justin Uthadude

500+ Head-Fier
I was listening to the radio yesterday, and they were interviewing the editor of the Italian branch of Rolling Stone Magazine. One of the things he said was, 'Rock as an artform is dead, and has been for 10 years.' It made me think, "is Rock dead, and if so, what replaced it?"

Nov 26, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #2 of 34
I think it's just mutated or split off or whatever. The Led Zep, AC/DC, Van Halen type rock has morphed into metal/hardcore and those genres and the more R&B type "rock" has moved to Hip Hop type stuff...I guess
bigsmile_face.gif
maybe

Nov 26, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #3 of 34
I believe his meaning is that there is not the level of innovation there used to be in the rock genre. Rock is still alive and (debateably) well today, it's just not as artistic as it used to be! When was the last time you heard something truely unique on a reasonably new rock album?

Nov 27, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #9 of 34
I think it's a valid point. I think the one hit wonder marketing machine/American Idol mentality has destroyed rock music as we use to know it in the 70's/80's...

Where is the next Quadropohenia or Lamb Lies Down on Broadway?

Nov 27, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #10 of 34
Eh, it's an easy thing to say, and you'll always find someone to say it about whatever. People probably started saying it about rock once it hit the mainstream.

Nov 27, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #12 of 34
Rock is my life. I will say that due to my age.
I have lived rock. So I felt a need to comment.

What he is saying is that the days of rock being a mainstream marketable commodity are gone. That is rock as we knew it. Rock is always changing and it started to change from it's inception. Bill Hailey and the Comets Rock Around The Clock is sometimes considered the first rock song. A white take on Mississippi Blues. From there we had the English Invasion. There was change.

Rock is dead now. OK so I was at KISS at the Staples Center last night in Los Angeles and there it was FRIKEN ALIVE! But let us look at the record sales. You can only buy the CD for the new KISS album Sonic Boom at Walmart. So I would say if you can only buy the cd at one store rock is dead. Get my point.

What has happened is music and art became fractured at the end of the 20th century. We have pop, rap, art rock. techno, classic rock hanger ons.

Did you note what I just wrote. hanger ons. The Stones, KISS and no one else are still filling stadiums with the swan song of rock. They know how to do it. You have the green rockers like Buckcherry. Buckcherry have not innovated anything. They make good music but it is in 1979 from an innovation standpoint. AC/DC was a rock innovator in their day! Get my point. So yes rock as a music form is dead. What we are hearing is the echo from rock glory days of past. Nothing lasts forever.

There is no replacement for rock. There is no replacement for anything that is really gone from Earth.

Nov 27, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by HipHopScribe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eh, it's an easy thing to say, and you'll always find someone to say it about whatever..

And you'll always find someone to state the contrary.

Nov 27, 2009 at 12:31 PM Post #15 of 34
This electronic age of being able to "cherry pick" songs via I-Tunes has also hurt music. The listener is not required to purchase the whole cd so the listener does not require any patience to get into the deeper cuts of the release. It's all about "the hit". No longer a need for concept or thematic cd's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back