What radio/mp3 player would sound good with an Ultrasone PRO 550?
Mar 8, 2012 at 6:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Devarika Woulf

100+ Head-Fier
Ever since I bought my home rig, my Nextar mp3 player and Pure Sound Pure-800 earbuds sound like crap. And now my Ultrasone PRO 550 are just sitting here with nothing to do.

I'd like mainly a great radio with the mp3 being secondary. I like whole albums and the limiting room is a bummer for me.

I usually put my mp3 player in my pocket. This is for walking around the city and taking buses so it has to fit in my pocket. I will carry around a bag me though for the PRO 550.

I don't have an amp or dac for it. I saw the FiiO E17 but it's not on Amazon. Would I need one? 

Can you guys point in the right direction? Thanks.

Mar 8, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #2 of 7
The PRO550 definitely don't sound good with an iPod (specifically the Touch) so I guess thats off the list. You won't need the DAC section of the E17 unless you are planning to use at home since almost every DAP out there doesn't output digital.

Mar 9, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #3 of 7
Bump. Thanks, Parall3l.

I seriously don't even know where to start here. I mean I already have the headphones and they are just sitting here. I put them in my 4GB nextar and they sound like crap. Not loud and no dynamics. In my Titanium HD they are pretty decent and they're not loud enough for me.

The amp doesn't really matter as I will just buy whatever works good. But what are the iPod-like good players out there? I see the Sansa Fuze mentioned a lot. Or are there stand-alone portable radios out there?

Someone throw something out there. I'm not picky, just want quality. Certainly someone here must use an Ultrasone for a portable, right? 
popcorn.gif

Mar 10, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #4 of 7
Since they might need amping @64 ohms I guess a Sony Walkman might be a bad idea. :p I mean, if you don't mind getting a FiiO or a Digizoid ZO, get a Sony. The sq is excellent,...or a clip+ or clipzip. Both sound amazing, and adding Rockbox is a win-win.

Actually, go with a clip+ or clipzip,...you can't go wrong IMO.

Mar 10, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #5 of 7
Sansa Clip+ or Fuze. Or if you want to go with a much higher inner-fidelity mp3 player/amp you can go with the Rocoo P. At those prices you can't really go wrong with either, though I would definitely recommend you purchase a larger microSD card because 4 GB isn't a lot of memory.

Mar 10, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #6 of 7
Since they might need amping @64 ohms I guess a Sony Walkman might be a bad idea.
tongue.gif
I mean, if you don't mind getting a FiiO or a Digizoid ZO, get a Sony. The sq is excellent,...or a clip+ or clipzip. Both sound amazing, and adding Rockbox is a win-win.

Actually, go with a clip+ or clipzip,...you can't go wrong IMO.

Sansa Clip+ or Fuze. Or if you want to go with a much higher inner-fidelity mp3 player/amp you can go with the Rocoo P. At those prices you can't really go wrong with either, though I would definitely recommend you purchase a larger microSD card because 4 GB isn't a lot of memory.

I was looking at the Sony NWZE465BLK Walkman. Would the Rocoo P be a better choice in quality? Is it worth losing the radio feature?

Mar 10, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #7 of 7
So I bought a new RoCoo P from wormsdriver. I compared it to other similar players like the Studio V and this seems what I want. Since I can put a 64GB SD card I don't even need a radio. I will let you all know how it sounds! 
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back