What program do you guys use to play music on your computers?
Jan 2, 2005 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

gregr507

100+ Head-Fier
Right now I am using winamp. But I also have creative audio source (the program that came w/ my audigy 2 zs) and I also have musicmatch jukebox (I need to find the cd though, I think I lost it). Anyway, I was wondering what would be best? what do you guys use? Thanks

Jan 2, 2005 at 6:04 PM Post #3 of 31
Really depends on the features/plugins you want to use. Winamp is popular. Foobar is going to be suggested by many. Depending on your OS, XMMS should be considered. I use iTunes.

Jan 2, 2005 at 6:15 PM Post #5 of 31
For audigy 2? Definetly foobar, you want to re-sample to 48khz.

Jan 2, 2005 at 6:31 PM Post #6 of 31
Tried both Itunes (lacking in features) and winamp (nice library but not tweakable enough)

Currently using FOOBAR.

Jan 2, 2005 at 6:47 PM Post #8 of 31
Latest version. Full package. You can always remove stuff you don't need later and tweak it further on from there. I believe it is slightly slower though without tweaking. Be sure to try it for a week or so because it might seem kindof boring with a bad interface at first sight. I need to configure it more throughly in the future myself and learn how to edit those strings :s. Be sure to take a look at the hydrogen forums for more plugins too. Great program.

Jan 2, 2005 at 6:58 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by gregr507
I guess I'll give foobar a try, what version do you guys use?

No reason not to use the most recent version (0.8.3). It'll take a bit to get used to coming form winamp, so just ask around here if you have any problems.

One think I would suggest, since you're using an Audigy2, would be to Preferences->Playback->DSP Manager, and insert the resampler into your active DSPs. (I'm not sure which is better--above or below volume control. I don't think it makes too much of a difference, however, I'm sure someone'll say soon enough.) Then, go to Resampler under DSP Manager, select "Slow Mode," then change the sample rate to 48000Hz.

You'll want to do this because the Audigy2 automatically converts all 44.1 stuff to 48, whether you like it or not, and does it with a poor algorithm, lowering quality. This will convert it with a better algorithm, so that less harm befalls your audio.
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2005 at 7:32 PM Post #10 of 31
Ok well I got foobar now and it sounds good, thanks for the help. I put resampler above volume control, does that matter? thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 2, 2005 at 7:41 PM Post #11 of 31
One more question, I did what IstariAsuka told me, but when I play songs it still says 44100Hz stereo at the bottom left. Is this correct?

Jan 2, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by gregr507
One more question, I did what IstariAsuka told me, but when I play songs it still says 44100Hz stereo at the bottom left. Is this correct?

Yes, that's fine. The bottom left shows info about the file being played. It says 44100 still because that's what the file actually contains--no different than before. The only thing different is that when decoded it is converted to 48000 by foobar before being sent to your soundcard.

Jan 2, 2005 at 10:15 PM Post #14 of 31
I have a speaker setup and a headphone setup on the same PC...

Casual Listening - Speaker Setup
=========================

LAME -APS MP3 -> Winamp (using DirectSound) -> Onboard Audio -> Monsoon PM14 Speakers

Critical Listening - Headphone Setup
===========================

LAME -APS MP3 -> Foobar 2k (using ASIO) -> M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 -> JMT-Built PIMETA -> A900 Headphones.

For my casual listening setup, I used to use an Audigy 2 Platinum, but have since sold it to a friend.

I honestly prefer Winamp for ease-of-use compared to Foobar (and I love my skins), but I use Foobar because I have it tweaked out for critical listening. I also use two different players because it is less hassle than going into the prefs and changing the output from the onboard to the audiophile card.

As for other players, WMP10 is nothing special, and I have never used iTunes before, but have heard good things about it.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back