What portable source are the experienced members of the forum using?
Dec 26, 2014 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Abstraction

100+ Head-Fier
I am interested in music.  Audio gear, as far as I am concerned, is a necessary evil. I find comparing components a tedious and confusing experience. So I have been using 3 Ipod classics, an RSA amp, and Westone 4R IEM, for several years.  As long as the gear doesn't call attention to itself and let's me hear the music, I am okay.  I will leave it alone if it leaves me along.  

The amp is not at hand, and I don't remember for sure what it is called.  It is named after some military airplane.  I almost didn't buy a Samuels amp because of their war-like names, but it made the Ipods sound good enough that I could forget about them and listen to the music.

Now the amp seems to be kaput, or nearly so. I need to figure out what to do.  I know there have been a lot of new players come out, and I thought perhaps I should start at the beginning.  My Ipods are doing okay, but they have given me a good run. They will probably start dropping off.  I tought there might be a player that would not need an amp at all. I have a large music collection, approaching 2tb. The Ipods won't begin to hold it all.  And it would take many memory cards.

Or would I might be better advised to hold on to the Ipods and buy a new amp? I believe there are dac-amp combinations that might be excellent. Is there anyone who will stick up for the IPods?

I have read some of this forum, but I am having trouble getting a useful picture. The Ibasso DX90 seems to get serious attention. A lot of people like the FiiO, probably because it is cheap, and some people like the other one--A & K, I think it is--probably because it is expensive.  

I like the slickness of the Apple UI. (I also have an IPhone, with a lot of music on it, and use it usually when I don't have the portable rig with me), and there seems to  be a lot of complaint about the UI on the newer players. Apple has access to remarkable designers. But I guess the UI isn't the big thing for me.  I am really interested primarily in sound.

I listen to all kinds of music. I need a system that treats all music well.

Dec 26, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #2 of 7
It all depends on which way yiu want to go and how much you would like to spend.

You can find a lot of portable dac/amps that will let you utilize your ipod as a transport both with and without the camera adapter. The leckerton uha 6 mk ii is one hell of a portable at a great price. The ifi micro idsd is also a great dac/amp however its form factor is not really portable. On the other end of the spectrum you could pickup a cypherlabs theorem although with high sensity low impedance phones you may experience some hiss. If an amp is all that you need you would be hard pressed to find better than the portaphiles.

The dx90 and fiio x5 are also great devices at their price point. I personally favored the x5.

I do not have nor have I heard the A&K's so I am unable to comment on them.

My journey in head-fi has come to a current end with the Calyx M. It is one hell of an all in one kit and is dead silent with my JH13 pro fp's. There is some slight lag as of f/w 1.01 however the ui is very polished and I fully expect them to fix any issues/wants in future releases.

Good luck and happy holidays.

Dec 26, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #3 of 7
You can find a lot of portable dac/amps that will let you utilize your ipod as a transport both with and without the camera adapter. The leckerton uha 6 mk ii is one hell of a portable at a great price. The ifi micro idsd is also a great dac/amp however its form factor is not really portable. On the other end of the spectrum you could pickup a cypherlabs theorem although with high sensity low impedance phones you may experience some hiss. If an amp is all that you need you would be hard pressed to find better than the portaphiles.

The dx90 and fiio x5 are also great devices at their price point. I personally favored the x5.

I do not have nor have I heard the A&K's so I am unable to comment on them.

My journey in head-fi has come to a current end with the Calyx M. It is one hell of an all in one kit and is dead silent with my JH13 pro fp's. There is some slight lag as of f/w 1.01 however the ui is very polished and I fully expect them to fix any issues/wants in future releases.

Good luck and happy holidays.

Poimandres? Wow, may your krater descend.

I was going to buy the Theorem, but then I read about the hiss. Which is unacceptable. I have Leben to drive big high impedance cans.  The Leckerton (ugly word) and the  ifi micro idsd do not seem to work with Ipod classics--only IPhone and IPod Touch.  

The design problems for a portable music player seem to me immense.

I will look into the Calyx M.

Jan 5, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #5 of 7
If you dont want to venture into what might be considered absurd price territory, many of us are very happy with the Fiio X5. around US $350.

Many of us h are using a $35  4GB Sandisk Clip+ with a 32GBMicro SDHC card in it. We Rockbox it to get better features and sound quality.
Some even use a $35  Clip+ with expensive headphones.

Jan 15, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #6 of 7
  Many of us h are using a $35  4GB Sandisk Clip+ with a 32GBMicro SDHC card in it. We Rockbox it to get better features and sound quality.
Some even use a $35  Clip+ with expensive headphones.

The clip is a very, very good intro player. Micro SD, great SQ, and cheap, to boot. 

Jan 15, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #7 of 7
For audiobooks, sansa clip zip. sorts books and music separately, auto-bookmarking, very light. slightly better than clip+ due to extras like radio and clock. best bang for your buck.

For music, iBasso DX50. just works, sounds good. easy to use while driving, with the big playback control buttons. 

i don't use other players much anymore ... just collect :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back