what portable device for FM radio?
Aug 6, 2006 at 3:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Razoramus

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all, I'm currently looking for a small DAP that will be used unamped for FM radio. I was going to go with a Creative Muvo TX FM but my Muvo NX just doesn't have the power I need unamped and I can't see the TX FM being any different. I am also worried about reception. Please recommend a DAP that can drive KSC75s and MX500s well and has good FM reception. Thanks in advance.

Razor

Aug 6, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #3 of 12
The Cowon (aka iAudio) U3 is reputed to sound good, have a very good feature set, and put out greater output strength for driving headphones than others. I've not used one though, this is just what I've read.

Aug 6, 2006 at 5:16 AM Post #4 of 12
Not sure if it's small enough for your tastes but I have the Rio Cali and it does an admirable job with FM and drives all my IEM's with ease. Of course, I added a 1GB SD for more tunes but overall, it's a nice carry around and keeps me company on the jetski or when doing yard work and workouts. Just a nice little player.

Aug 6, 2006 at 1:43 PM Post #6 of 12
both my wife and I own creative zen micros (mine is the photo version) and she has used the fm tuner quite a bit and really likes it... I've never used it... not even sure if mine has one as I only use it for mp3 (bought the photo for the larger hdd) but the zm seems to work well... and have room for mp3's for when you can't get radio
biggrin.gif

Aug 6, 2006 at 2:45 PM Post #7 of 12
I live in the middle of nowwhere in Idaho, nearest radio staion to me is 65 miles away. I have/had the Zen Micro, TX Fm, Samsung yp-U2, iAudio X5l, iAudio 5, and the iRiver h120. I the best I've heard were the X5l, U2, and the TX FM. In that order. The worst is the Micro.

Aug 6, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #8 of 12
The iriver U10 (now Clix) has excellent FM reception qualities and sound. It is quite resistant to interference from images from strong local broadasters and separates stations quite well. Pretty amazing performance for such a little device.

Aug 6, 2006 at 5:15 PM Post #9 of 12
Please forgive if I'm being Captain Obvious, but the poster may wish to specify what kind of special challenges to FM his environment provides (if any). For example, being able to pull in a signal from 60 miles away is one thing (sensitivity), while being able to get and keep a good signal in the middle of an urban environment is something else (sucess with multipath interference). So, someone who is in Manhattan might have better luck with a different model than someone who is in Montana. If you live in the burbs, I don't know if either concern applies very much (unless you just like hunting good numbers).

Aug 7, 2006 at 6:26 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by D555
The iriver U10 (now Clix) has excellent FM reception qualities and sound. It is quite resistant to interference from images from strong local broadasters and separates stations quite well. Pretty amazing performance for such a little device.

I use mine in an urban environment and have been very happy. The FM tuner section puts out quite a strong output, compared with the audio files that it plays. I also have a Sony SRF-59 which I like, but the Clix puts out a signal that is more crisp and clear. The Sony has a more warm, analog sound.

Aug 7, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #11 of 12
My new Zen Vision:M has a good tuner, but not as good as my old Chiba. I'm suprised no one has recommended the apple FM tuner. Any impressions on that unit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back