What Portable DAC/Amp would best suit my needs?
Feb 16, 2008 at 4:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Awah

100+ Head-Fier
I need it to work with my laptop, PSP, and DAP once I get one that will fit in my pockets when summer rolls around.

I have no idea what is good or what I should be looking for in a portable DAC/Amp other than what I'll use it for.
smily_headphones1.gif
I have a UE SFP5 right now, but I am looking at the Grados line up for home use once I can afford it. :p (I do the majority of my listening on my laptop and I can't afford two amps so I'd rather get one that can support me needs)

I'm not looking for the best of the best, but I don't want a purchase I'd regret later down the road.

So, I'm open to suggestions, I don't make too much money, but enough to spoil myself from time to time. :p So I'll here what you guys think will work out, as you seem to know everything about this hobby!

Feb 16, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #2 of 7
IMO Nick Leckertons UHA-3 is the best value in a quality portable amp/dac on the market. I have pushed my unit hard over the last few months and its delivered.

I drive Ety ER-4P/S, Shure E500, Senn HD600s and Grado RS-1 just fine. Quiet noise floor, plenty of punch and well laid out. for under $200.00 its a steal.

I had 2 RSA Hornets and sold them both along with a variety of other amps, this is the only portable I have at the moment and I am content with it.

The Pico and Predator look great, but honestly I dont feel the need to rush out and buy either, cost not being a factor for me I just dont have anything I dont like about the UHA-3.

Feb 16, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #3 of 7
Ditto to that. I've tried mine with a variety of headphones and players, and it's been consistently awesome. The DAC is awesome, battery life is good, and the blue power light is nice and shiny.

Feb 16, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #4 of 7
Well, I have the Predator and I can't seem to tear myself away from it. I also have the Headstage Lyrix with USB DAC built in, but it is much bigger. My iBasso D1 is even bigger, and mostly gets used as my desktop DAC. The Predator is the perfect size for portable. However, they all sound great in their own way, and you couldn't do wrong with any of them.

Then there are the ones I haven't heard. With the Leckerton the reviews didn't place it way up high or anything. There is also the Meier 2MOVE, with USB DAC built-in, and reviews have placed the original Move sound up high, but not it's DAC - I have no idea how good the v2 model "2MOVE" is with the DAC. I can say The Meier portable amps have great sound otherwise. It sounds like the Go-Vibe "Petite" with USB DAC is developing quite a following too, as is the PICO which everyone acts like it is the thing to beat these days.

There are just so many more choices now than there were 6 months ago it is silly. Based on everything I have been reading, the PICO is on top with Predator close behind, and the Leckerton is on the bottom with everything else in between. And even the bottom rung is worthy of listening to, so these are good days ahead.

Feb 16, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #5 of 7
I dont know where you see the UHA 3 on the "bottom" All I have seen put it in the top 10. I take all of those with a grain of salt anyways, as we all know its subjective. With that said. I presume the Hornet M sounds very close to the Predator. I bought two Hornets just in case one was a bit off.. they sounded exactly the same. Great amp, Ray makes some of the best I have heard, but my point is, you dont have to spend Predator or Pico money to get really good sound, assuming, of course you have good source material and good headphones. Based on this thread, I thought the idea was a "value amp/dac combo" not best of breed. Might be interesting to buy a Pico just to see how it really does compare to a UHA-3. Seems like it would be easy enough to sell if I decided to keep the Leckerton
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #7 of 7
I have had the opportunity to compare side by side the following:

- iBasso D1 stock and modded
- Leckerton
- Move
- Predator
- Pico

In the stock form and used as both dac/amp I would rank the Pico on top. In the stock form and used only as an amp I would rank the Predator on top. If money was tight I would go with the iBasso D1 and I would get better op-amps or better yet wait for the iBasso D2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back