What portable amp is this? (Pics)
Jan 27, 2005 at 7:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ghart999

100+ Head-Fier
My friend bought it 2 years ago online and does not know what kind it is. I am just curious. Thanks.

amp003.JPG

amp005.JPG

Jan 27, 2005 at 11:02 AM Post #4 of 16
Maybe an older version? I'm not sure, but with the exception of the permanent cable it looks an awful lot like the SuperMini, right down to the same opamp used.

Jan 27, 2005 at 2:59 PM Post #5 of 16
Could be an early Supermini. I just opened up mine (digital 6.0, I should use the thing, it's so nice...) and my board here looks totally different with all the SMD parts, but then it might just be the other side of the board... The red wire by the phone-jack is nearly identical though. Never saw a Xin amp with a fixed cable, but since there are about 9825,5 different Superminis... why not drop Xin a line and ask?

Now you've got me up to something... since in my new portable setup the size of the amp is no longer as relevant, I shall pit this Supermini 6.0 against my Supermicro 1.0 again.

Jan 27, 2005 at 6:55 PM Post #7 of 16
Thanks all. I will ask him. My friend said he paid $60 for it. Maybe the early superminis were that price...

Jan 27, 2005 at 10:46 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghart999
Thanks all. I will ask him. My friend said he paid $60 for it. Maybe the early superminis were that price...

You can get usually a newer version supermini (second-hand) off the forums for $60-70. Just FYI.

Jan 27, 2005 at 10:50 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
You can get usually a newer version supermini (second-hand) off the forums for $60-70. Just FYI.

Yeah I know. I am mostly just wanting to make sure I know what model it is. He is happy with it so will not be changing.

I have the Supermacro in the mail coming to me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2005 at 11:09 PM Post #10 of 16
HI: That amp was my first super mini amp version 3 by fixup.net. They had the ic wire built into them back then. I also found that the super mini amps didn't start to sound great untill version 5 up.

Jan 27, 2005 at 11:45 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by LTUCCI1924
HI: That amp was my first super mini amp version 3 by fixup.net. They had the ic wire built into them back then. I also found that the super mini amps didn't start to sound great untill version 5 up.

Ahhhh. So its a version 3 Super mini. Thanks for the help. BTW - what version is the current super mini?

Jan 27, 2005 at 11:49 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghart999
Ahhhh. So its a version 3 Super mini. Thanks for the help. BTW - what version is the current super mini?

I don't think it ever went past v. 6.xx cause xin started working on the supermicro/superdual etc.

Jan 28, 2005 at 12:03 AM Post #13 of 16
Are we quite sure thats a super mini? The internals don't look all that special, and the build quality (particularly the globs of solder hooking the opamp into that adaptor) don't exactly reek of the quality more commonly referenced in connection with Xin's work.

Jan 28, 2005 at 12:15 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneeyedhobbit
Are we quite sure thats a super mini? The internals don't look all that special, and the build quality (particularly the globs of solder hooking the opamp into that adaptor) don't exactly reek of the quality more commonly referenced in connection with Xin's work.

It looks like SMD parts and Xin amps are the only amps built with SMD parts that I know of. The casing resembles the Supermini a lot, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back