What Pop, Rock, Metal, R&B, Blues, .... Albums Have Stood The Test Of Time? - Post Pictures!
Aug 21, 2009 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31
Post a few pictures of Pop, Rock, Metal, R&B, Blues, .... studio and live albums which have stood the test of time.

For instance The Beatles' The Sgt. Pepper's and
The Beach Boys' Pet Sounds do not belong to this group.

How about Elvis Presley, Bob Dylan, The Who, and many others
616.gif

We consider the 1950s, 1960s, ... , and perhaps the 1990s, but not the 2000s.

Here is the album which certainly has stood the test of time:

actualites-decembre-2006-pink-floyd-dark-side-of-the-moon.jpg

The Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd (March 1973).

Other examples include The Number of the Beast and an album everyone has been talking recently about Thriller.
(Please post pics of those two albums.)

L3000.gif
beerchug.gif
popcorn.gif

P.S.
This is a real Dark Side of the Moon:
46609big1.jpg

Aug 25, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #3 of 31
I am afraid that none of The Beatles' albums have stood the test of time.
The same aplies to The Who, ... and many others.

The-Number-Of-The-Beast.jpg

That album has stood
L3000.gif
the test of time. Oh, yeah!

And I, AdamCalifornia, have also stood the test of time on time (4+ years) on Head-Fi!
[size=large]Ha, ha, ....[/size]

beerchug.gif
popcorn.gif

Aug 25, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #5 of 31
Exodus- Bonded by Blood

Being from 1985 it may not be the first example of thrash , but it surely is the thrash metal album, iconic cover, lyrics and riffs.
I't one of the true metal classic records alongside with the already suggested masterpieces by Maiden, Priest etc.

ExodusBondedbyblood.jpg

Oct 14, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamCalifornia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For instance The Beatles' The Sgt. Pepper's and
The Beach Boys' Pet Sounds do not belong to this group.

If you think Number Of the Beast has stood the test of time better than Sgt Pepper or Pet Sounds then I feel bad for you..................

I don't know what gives you the right to insinuate that Pet Sounds hasn't stood the test of time?

For instance, my girlfriend doesn't like most of the music I listen to and she says Pink Floyd sounds like Stoner music, but when I put Wouldn't It Be Nice on she LOVES it............

Does it sound older? Yes, but it's certainly stood the test of time better than Appetite For Destruction or Number Of The Beast.

I was ready to participate in this thread, but my first inductee was going to be PET SOUNDS and then I read that it doesn't qualify?!?!? because you say so?

If you're judging what stands the test of time by what sounds modern then Pink Floyd doesn't apply, nor does Iron Maiden...............the OP just seemed opinionated to the point where it made the thread irrelevant for me.

The day someone makes a legit argument that Number of The Beast has stood the test of time, but Sgt Pepper has not is the day music is trashed and we all die!

Oct 14, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

I am afraid that none of The Beatles' albums have stood the test of time.
The same aplies to The Who, ... and many others.

The-Number-Of-The-Beast.jpg

That album has stood
L3000.gif
the test of time. Oh, yeah!

And I, AdamCalifornia, have also stood the test of time on time (4+ years) on Head-Fi!
[size=large]Ha, ha, ....[/size]

beerchug.gif
popcorn.gif

This has stood the test of time but Abbey Road and Who's Next has not? Are you trying to be comedic?

It's one thing to not love an album, its another thing to dismiss the fact that on a daily basis more people buy Abbey Road than Number Of The Beast........I don't see how Number Of The Beast has outlasted any Beatles album.................As far as Paranoid goes, I don't think it has outlasted any Beatles album.................it is more relevant to METAL, but Metal is NOT what this title insinuates........I'm curious to know how old you are that you could possibly think any Iron Maiden album has stood the test of time ahead of Abbey Road or The White Album or Quadrophenia....etc.

Oct 14, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you think Number Of the Beast has stood the test of time better than Sgt Pepper or Pet Sounds then I feel bad for you..................

I don't know what gives you the right to insinuate that Pet Sounds hasn't stood the test of time?

For instance, my girlfriend doesn't like most of the music I listen to and she says Pink Floyd sounds like Stoner music, but when I put Wouldn't It Be Nice on she LOVES it............

Does it sound older? Yes, but it's certainly stood the test of time better than Appetite For Destruction or Number Of The Beast.

I was ready to participate in this thread, but my first inductee was going to be PET SOUNDS and then I read that it doesn't qualify?!?!? because you say so?

If you're judging what stands the test of time by what sounds modern then Pink Floyd doesn't apply, nor does Iron Maiden...............the OP just seemed opinionated to the point where it made the thread irrelevant for me.

The day someone makes a legit argument that Number of The Beast has stood the test of time, but Sgt Pepper has not is the day music is trashed and we all die!

From the above:

Quote:

If you're judging what stands the test of time by what sounds modern then Pink Floyd doesn't apply, nor does Iron Maiden...............

No, I did not mean - and I hope that I don't - sound judgmental or opinionated, etc.
Also I don't insinuate anything. - What I've said in my op is what I've felt.

In a way, what I said in my op should be considerd as a tease to 'provoke' some discussion.

Anyway, I've browsed through a book '100 Albums that Changed Music" (see here)
an the author said something like this:

Quote:

There are some albums here that I canNOT stand/listen any more.

I think and I only think that many young (say, under 35, under 25, ...) Head-Fi'ers would say something like that:
I can't stand listening to "Pet Sounds", "Sgt. Pepper's", ....

How about Yellow Submarine (album)? - I cannot listen to it anymore.
To me, this means that those albums have not stood the test of time!

How about Head-Fi'ers under 25, ... under 20, ...?

By the way 'The Beatles" are my beloved band!.

beerchug.gif
L3000.gif
popcorn.gif

Oct 14, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Yes and no, ha, ha, ... - See the Formidable test.....

By the way, have Sinatra's albums stood the test of time?

tongue_smile.gif

Yes they have, though not in the same way Pet Sounds and Sgt Pepper have............these are the reference points of modern musical civilization / composition.

You eventually could say........ any music which gets old enough has not stood the test of time........ Charlie Parker's Savoy recordings, Louis Armstrong's Hot Five recordings........ Stravinsky's Rite Of Spring, Beethoven's Eroica.......they've all stood the test of time because they're all listened to, purchased, and discussed in a relevant manner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back