What pocket sized headphone/bud/iem to use unamped with my iPhone
Jul 15, 2007 at 9:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

shawntp

100+ Head-Fier
Hey folks, I recently got a new iPhone. I only have larger cans currently (various Grado's - I am a grado fan).

I just want a really good small headphone that fits in my pocket that I can simply use unamped with my iphone. I have searched many forums and they have spun me in circles.

I listen to rock/acoutic/blues and enjoy a good warm musical sound. I have Grado RS-1's but I still dont mind listening to SR-60's.

I have never gone down the in-ear route before (I have hears the Shure e2-e4 and thought they were really cool but preferred my grado's).

In my searches two that keep popping up are the Shure e500's and the YUIN PK1.

I don't mind spending the money on the e500's, but the PK1 seems like a winner though my searches seem split on how this one does without an amp vs the e500.

What do you reccomend. I want something that will perform well with 320AAC, sound fun/musical, and give me warm fuzzies inside whem I stroll down the streat or am around the house.

Jul 15, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #2 of 11
crossroads x3's

They're compatible with iPhone. I guess some plugs dont fit right.

they have the white ones now....

Jul 15, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #3 of 11
I don't mind if I have to trim the end a bit to get it to fit (I did this with a pair of iGrado's and I read someone else did it no problem to the e500).

I have not heard the x3 but wouldnt mind spending more to get something Ill be happy with.

Jul 15, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #5 of 11
Thanks for the input. I had considered the PK2 and then ran into this thread which is one of the points of confusion for me:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3107517

There seems to be lots of discussion on the PK2 vs PK1 unamped as well as the PK1 vs e500.

I do think that I would find myself more confortable around the house/street/on a bike with the PK* earbuds over the e500 in ears which I am no sure I will be confortable with.

Perhaps I should just focus on the YUIN's unless the e500 is going to blow them away unamped.

The PK1 is a nice price point.

Jul 16, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #8 of 11
You will want an amp for the pk1's as they are hard to drive, and may need help in the lower end w/o one. But then again PK1>PK2 unamped so you should be fine as long as you can get it up to a audible volume.

Jul 18, 2007 at 1:12 PM Post #9 of 11
I purchased the PK1's (no here yet). I suppose there are times when I might consider adding a portable amp though when I am walking around/cycling/etc I just want something that is confortable and sounds good eithout an amp that fits in my pocket (bugs fit my ears well and stay put and I dislike iem's).

Jul 18, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #10 of 11
PK1 if you don't mind adding an amp. PK2 gets my vote for unamped use.

Note however they will NOT plug into the iPhone without an adapter.

Jul 19, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #11 of 11
Thanks - just because Its an iPhone I guess I dont want to rule out using an amp. When I am just on the go I wont take anything but keys/wallet/iPhone/buds, but there are other times where if I dont have to carry the amp in my jeans pocket I would use one so I went PK1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back