what player to get?
Mar 15, 2005 at 6:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dchoi

New Head-Fier
Hey, i've been reading this board for a while now and i was wondering what player i should get.
I am soon going to go to college this coming fall and thus, i want to be able to have my library of music.
Should i just wait for the 5th generation ipod?
Also, just wondering... does a cd player such as Sony D-NE300 have better sound quality than a hd player?

thanks.

Mar 15, 2005 at 6:32 AM Post #2 of 11
Welcome to head-fi
orphsmile.gif

We're going to need alot more info on what you want your player to do, how much space you need, whats it going to be used as, what your budget is, and all that other good stuff. There is no perfect player, just the perfect player for you, and to get that you need to provide as much info as you can.

Mar 15, 2005 at 6:42 AM Post #3 of 11
you're same like me. i'm currently in search for the right player too.

i don't know how much is your budget is, but you might want to hit around 200 to 300 priceline

to cover a huge media library basically you going to need a huge media with a lot a space. as i learn so far in this forum, here's some of the most favorite player in this forum :

- the "iPod", who don't know this, you see it everywhere, there's variants from 20 to 40GB space for this kind. it would easily hold huge media library. one downside i heard althought i haven't comfirm it myself is the equalizer. it has a weak equalizer.

- 20GB Zen Touch, which basically similar device made from Creative. it has better feature though

there's also 4GB muVo2, 4GB mini iPod, 4GB Zen Micro, and perhaps Hi-MD Player

give us some more info, we'll have better idea how to help you

Mar 15, 2005 at 6:47 AM Post #4 of 11
im willing to spend 300ish for my player.
im expecting it will be good enough to last me through 4 years of college.
i have a lot of albums and music in general so i need lots of space.
20GB is fine...although 40GB would be better.
also...if i get the grado sr60 for my player, then that means i won't need an amp, right?
are amps important?
because until i came on this site...i've never seen anyone listen with an amp.
will sound leak a lot from the sr60?
should i just get the sony ex71 ?

Mar 15, 2005 at 7:01 AM Post #5 of 11
this what i found, didn't really go into that much depth but it should really give you idea on some popular 40GB player.

Click Here

for 40GB, i still would recommend Zen Touch for some reason, probably because it's favorable here.

for Earphones/Headphones, i strongly Recommend Sharp MD-33 Canalphones, ilove these buds a lot, much friggin better than EX71. you can find them at audiocubes.com

hope that help

Mar 15, 2005 at 6:18 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by dchoi
im willing to spend 300ish for my player.
im expecting it will be good enough to last me through 4 years of college.
i have a lot of albums and music in general so i need lots of space.
20GB is fine...although 40GB would be better.
also...if i get the grado sr60 for my player, then that means i won't need an amp, right?
are amps important?
because until i came on this site...i've never seen anyone listen with an amp.
will sound leak a lot from the sr60?
should i just get the sony ex71 ?

The 60s can be driven fine without an amp but they do leak sound. 20 or 40 Gigs depends on you. I'd recommend downloading iTunes (it's free) and experimenting with a few different types of encoding. Once you find one you like, encode 10 songs that way, figure out the average file size and then you can determine whether 20 gigs is enough.

Mar 15, 2005 at 7:37 PM Post #7 of 11
I love my Sony NW-HD1 player.
Durable, small, long batterypower, and I really like the sound.
The newer ones play MP3 too (not mine alas, but I do not care enough to send it in for an upgrade, I'm ok with Atrac3+ SP ).
Main obstacle is probably that you have to use Sonic stage.
And it's only 20Gb (enough to have over 200 complete CD's in the finesounding highest Atrac-codec; 256 kbs).

Mar 15, 2005 at 7:52 PM Post #8 of 11
$319 will get you the 30GB iPod Photo with the education discount (you don't need your future ID, just pick the school on Apples site). If you go the iPod route and willing to drop an extra $20 that's what I would pick. I just can't recommend the Karma anymore (even though the price is so right).

For size considerations, how many CDs do you have and what's your expected bitrate?

Mar 16, 2005 at 10:50 PM Post #9 of 11
You dont need an amp for the sr60s, and unless you want the best sound you can get from your headphones, you shouldnt get one. The reason you dont see many people around with them is because most people dont know they exist, they are marketed more towards audiophiles rather than the general public. If i were you, i would go with an Ipod, or a creative zen touch. They are both available in 20 and 40 gig, so when you decide which size you need, they are both available.

Mar 16, 2005 at 11:03 PM Post #10 of 11
After looking around on the internet, I myself picked up a cheap Creative Muvo. The reason I chose the creative player was simple - it had good file type support and FM Radio, along with what for me was the selling point: Voice recording.

I recently bought the Zen Micro, which is like the iPod Mini. If you're looking for space upward of 20GB though, I would recommend the Zen Touch or Zen Xtra. Both of them have a great deal of battery life, and I know someone with a Zen Xtra - it's built like a brick. The one thing to hold against it is that it's closer to one of the original GameBoys in size than it is to the size of an iPod. VERY sturdy construction, though. I think the 60GB Creative models are older than those of other makes, as well, which should make them cheaper. Hope this has been of some service.

Mar 16, 2005 at 11:30 PM Post #11 of 11
iPods dont come in 40gig anymore, but you can find still find them.

But i think you sould get a 40gig zen touch. Stay away from ex71s. If you dont want your music to leak you should stay away from the sr60s. For headphones i would recommend a pair of eggos from www.audiocubes.com if you have enough money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back