What player do you use? I want a new interface.
Jan 31, 2006 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

fishtankfish

100+ Head-Fier
I'm considering trying out a new player. I want something with good library capabilities and something that looks good. I use Foobar now for the sound quality, but i'm really tired of looking at it.

I assume there are a lot of good all-encompassing audio programs out there that i've never heard of, so my question is what's out there?

Jan 31, 2006 at 1:01 AM Post #2 of 8
Have you tried prettying up Foobar first? I like a really vanilla looking player, so I just use title formatting and such, but there are tons of different looks available. I think there is a Foobar gallery, you should check it out and hunt for links within the thread
tongue.gif
Don't settle for less, get the best of both worlds!

Jan 31, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
Have you tried prettying up Foobar first? I like a really vanilla looking player, so I just use title formatting and such, but there are tons of different looks available. I think there is a Foobar gallery, you should check it out and hunt for links within the thread
tongue.gif
Don't settle for less, get the best of both worlds!

Yeah, i've prettied foobar up to about as far as it can go. I've seen all the galleries, i just want some more options.

Jan 31, 2006 at 6:18 PM Post #4 of 8
Hmm, I'll bet 5 bucks you haven't prettied up foobar as far as it can go, check out the pictures at this link:

http://www.btinternet.com/~sean.m.ke...ks/gallery.htm

Basically, with the foo_looks plugin, foobar can look like ANYTHING, fully skinnable, album art, animated sliding and fading effects, anything. Most people don't know much about this, I think it's still undergoing some development, but last time I tried it it was very stable using very little system resources, very cool. If you already know about foo_looks, then I guess I owe you 5 bucks
tongue.gif

Anyway, I'd really recommend you stick with foobar since you have a good soundcard, in my experience other players sound a lot worse. I know most people feed you the line that even the foobar developer himself says all players sound the same, but I think that's very misleading. Perhaps it's true for uncompressed audio without any additional processing, but from my tests, foobar's playback plugins have much better sound quality compared to other player's plugins, probably due to the simple fact that foobar users care more about sound quality.

Jan 31, 2006 at 6:34 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by fishtankfish
I'm considering trying out a new player. I want something with good library capabilities and something that looks good. I use Foobar now for the sound quality, but i'm really tired of looking at it.

I assume there are a lot of good all-encompassing audio programs out there that i've never heard of, so my question is what's out there?

Try Jriver's Media Center. The thing that makes it great is it's very customizable, and you can also browse via album art instead of text.

PS: I'll include one of my screenshots later tonight, so you get a better idea. The one included in the link above is so-so.

Jan 31, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #6 of 8
the link to download the foo_looks plugin, in the link that you provided doesn't work... anywhere else to download it?

Feb 1, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #8 of 8
Heh, I spent/spent loads of time tinkering with the Foobar2K interface, thats half of the fun. I looked at mediamonkey, and winamp, and while you can find and load the addons that you need for bitperfect output, and play with a skin or 2.... boring. Real fun is tinkering with the strings controlling the Foobar interface.

Current project is figuring out how to collect, sort, and display album art with my music. It was rather trivial with a program to search out itunes art and attatch it to the MP3 files with a couple of different programs. Anyone know how to do the same for the FLAC files?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back