What Piece of Equipment Audiowise is Your Most Indispensable?
Sep 5, 2003 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

williamgoody

Banned
Since I have extra time on my hands, I was thinking about "What if I had to sell my equipment to get by". I thought this might be an interesting question to pose to all of you.

If you could only keep, for various reasons, one piece of your premium audiophile setup, what would it be? An amp, CD player, set of headphones? What ONE piece that you currently own could you not do without, and why? You can define "premium" any way you wish, and think about it as though you wouldn't be able to add to your equipment for quite a long time.

For me, I'd have to say my Etymotic 4P's. I could use them at home or portable for some serious "audiophile" like sound. I wouldn't need an amp. To me, they're indispencible.

How about you? Feel free to share.

Sep 5, 2003 at 9:34 PM Post #3 of 44
This one is easy. My CDP will be here for quite awhile.

Sep 5, 2003 at 9:37 PM Post #4 of 44
I think it's whatever is not replaceable or very difficult to find (no longer in production, etc.). For that reason (and not counting recordings) I vote for an old "Radio Services For The Blind" Radio. If that doesn't count under the premium label (okay, I got it for $10 at a garage sale) PinkFloyd's disappearing crossfeed, the X-Feed MKIII, moves to the top. The MKIV may drop this down though. In that case, my final answer is the Apple iPod. If there was one thing I'd miss most tomorrow if it was gone today, a portable MP3 player is it. It's hard to imagine going long without one.

Sep 5, 2003 at 9:49 PM Post #5 of 44
<looks longingly at his CD3000s> ^_^

Even though they're not my most-used audio item (that's the Zen), they're surely my most prized. For now, they're not going to get knocked off by anything else...because I don't have the money to buy anything more expensive and possibly better.
biggrin.gif

Sep 5, 2003 at 9:58 PM Post #7 of 44
Zanth, very good answer! My friends all think I'm weird because I always have a pr. of earplugs in my pocket no matter were I'm going or what I'm doing.

Sep 5, 2003 at 10:16 PM Post #8 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Zanth
My ears.

Good point, I second that. However, to me it's not "equipment". Since the only audio output is my stereo system and my computer outfitted with a SC (Santa Cruz). My computer obviously wins
biggrin.gif

Sep 5, 2003 at 10:22 PM Post #10 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
Shouldn't it be indispensable?
(If a mod corrected that from whatever it was, that's shameful you guys... )

I now return you to your regularly scheduled programme.

I don't believe so, but if that's the case, the Mods can correct it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 5, 2003 at 10:43 PM Post #12 of 44
Definitely my turntable... older Thorens tables aren't that hard to find, but can be a pain to set up and get working smoothly (not to mention shipping), and I wouldn't want to go through all of it again.
tongue.gif

Sep 5, 2003 at 11:48 PM Post #13 of 44
Ditto on Er4Ps. How can something so small sound so amazing?

Quote:

Originally posted by williamgoody
Since I have extra time on my hands, I was thinking about "What if I had to sell my equipment to get by". I thought this might be an interesting question to pose to all of you.

If you could only keep, for various reasons, one piece of your premium audiophile setup, what would it be? An amp, CD player, set of headphones? What ONE piece that you currently own could you not do without, and why? You can define "premium" any way you wish, and think about it as though you wouldn't be able to add to your equipment for quite a long time.

For me, I'd have to say my Etymotic 4P's. I could use them at home or portable for some serious "audiophile" like sound. I wouldn't need an amp. To me, they're indispencible.

How about you? Feel free to share.

Sep 5, 2003 at 11:51 PM Post #15 of 44
Ever heard of the earthquake-proof Thorens they used to sell? Supposedly they would come into your house and drill down until they hit bedrock then mount it on the spot. You could listen to Ride of the Valkyries as your house comes down around you!

Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch
Definitely my turntable... older Thorens tables aren't that hard to find, but can be a pain to set up and get working smoothly (not to mention shipping), and I wouldn't want to go through all of it again.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back