What over ear headphones sound closest to the Alpha Primes under $600?
Jul 18, 2015 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

soundofmusic996

New Head-Fier
Hello all.

I've been looking to upgrade my headphones.

Here is some info:
Budget - $500 new (I'm probably going to buy used to save some cash)

Source - ASUS Laptop -> O2/ODAC

Requirements for Isolation - Closed

Preferred Type of Headphone - Fullsized over-ear

Preferred tonal balance - Neutral/transparent yet musical. I'm looking for something that sounds like the mrspeakers Alpha Prime at a lower price. I've never used the headphones but after reading reviews, I'm intrigued.

Past headphones - Grado 225e. They're okay. Too bright. A little bass lacking

Preferred Music - Pretty much everything. Mostly rock (all subgenres included), though

Overall usage - 100% music

What would you like to improve on from your set-up - Neutral/transparent, yet musical

I've been really interested in the Alpha Primes because of the reviewers saying that it has a neutral/transparent sound without losing the musicality. That's exactly what I am looking for. But I don't want to pay the high price tag. Now I know some of you will tell me to audition headphones before I purchase but I don't have the time/money since I'm leaving to go to school in a month. Please do not recommend me Alpha dogs, I've read that they're really dark, and I don't want to lose treble detail, but at the same time I don't want to lose bass "warmth" either.

Thanks.

Jul 22, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #3 of 3
I've not tried the Alpha Prime so I'm flying blind here, but would suggest a look at the Final Pandora VI -

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/final-audio-design-pandora-hope-vi-closed-back-hybrid-driver-headphones.html

There's a few lumps and bumps in terms of true neutrality but they certainly hit the musical spot. I don't know if you'd find them dark or on the smooth side but this is my suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back