gloco

Only one ban in 5000 attempts!
Just home PC, don't care for work PC specs
wink.gif

Feb 21, 2002 at 7:13 AM Post #2 of 78
Where is the poll?
very_evil_smiley.gif

I have two PCs set up at home.
One runs Windows 2000 the other Windows XP.
I've run just about every flavor of OS for the PC at one time or another.
Anyone remember OS/2?
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2002 at 10:25 AM Post #5 of 78
WinMe on mine and the SO's.

Don't know when or if we'll go to XP because of all the Microsoft Profit Protections built in. We'd have to buy twice for 2 computers 6 feet apart in a home office,

One is used 20% of the time for work, 20% for volunteer work and 60% for play.

The SO's is used 50% for volunteer work and 50% for play. MS doesn't need our money.

Started with MSDos 2.0, Win 3.0, Win 3.11, 95, 98, Me.

Feb 21, 2002 at 11:55 AM Post #8 of 78
Windows 2000 is, in my opinion, the first real OS from Microsoft and what I run at home. Everything previous to this to me has seemed like a Beta release. Windows 2000 has bugs, but it's as if they finally wrote a legitimate piece of software this time.

I've been waiting for the XP fallout to upgrade. Is it safe yet?

Feb 21, 2002 at 2:09 PM Post #10 of 78
Windows XP here. I have never had it crash. The only thing bad i have had happen was when I installed norton systemworks and then uninstalled it. My recycle bin just stopped working; I couldn't delete anything, which was solved by reinstalling XP, and not installing norton.

Gaineso, I use the professional version of XP and did not have to register it (to my knowledge....). I think you should give it a shot, it is leaps and bound above ME IMO (I dread having to work with ME machines, give me 98 or 2k/XP but not ME!).

Quote:

windows xp - stable so far (albeit ugly, but you can change that)

You don't like "happy mode"? I do love the start menu though.

Feb 21, 2002 at 3:55 PM Post #12 of 78
Quote:

Originally posted by CaptBubba

You don't like "happy mode"? I do love the start menu though.

Actually, I kept the Windows XP look, but reverted to the old style Start Menu and reactivated the Quick-Launch Bar. Even if you use the old style Start Menu, since it only shows the frequently used ones, it works fine, also 95% of what I need, I can launch from the Quick-Launch Bar.

Feb 21, 2002 at 4:03 PM Post #13 of 78
I kept the new look too, but changed the background as soon as I saw it. You can tell a lot about what people do by what is on thier xp start menu. I have:

Starcraft
Winamp
Microsoft Word
AOL IM
Excel
Starcraft map editor

you can tell I don't get a lot of work done....

That "you have installed new programs" thing also got turned off quickly.

Feb 21, 2002 at 4:05 PM Post #14 of 78
I'm with MacDEF, Mac OS X on my Beige G3 and iBook (and MacOS 9 as well). On the PC, ummm, I think it has ME... never bothered to change it to 2k (I have the cd somewhere here...) since I never use that machine and could care less (even though it is "faster" than my other machines)
smily_headphones1.gif
Maybe I should install linux on it or something useful...

Feb 21, 2002 at 4:12 PM Post #15 of 78
Windows 2000 is still the best on a PC, if you don't have a LCD display. XP is almost an essential if you do because of ClearType - sub-pixel anti-aliasing, a technology also found in MacOS X. It really does make a difference, everything looks like printed text on paper. Going back to an application like Visual Studio 6 that does not support ClearType is horrible (VS.Net does). On a CRT monitor it doesn't matter much because even the best of them blur the edges slightly.

I say 2K beats XP because XP doesn't really give you anything new except an interface that you may or may not like, and it makes you go through a stupid registration process that will inconvenience you if you like to upgrade your own PC. 2K is actually slightly faster. I have 1G of RAM and think they are about the same but XP does eat more memory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back