What OS do you run: XP, Vista, Linux, Mac?
Jul 25, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #181 of 360
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've zero interest in moving to Vista bloatware. If I eventually feel a need to move away from XP Pro - it will be to Linux. Not Vista.

x2, with the ammendment that it might be to Linux or OSX for me; so far, certainly not Vista.

Surprised to see there are basically twice as many OSX as Linux users here on Headfi. I thought the popularity of those OSs among headfiers would be the other way around, or at most even.

Jul 26, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #182 of 360
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheVinylRipper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I said, the case was quite old so yes, I started with a slug.

I am speaking of upgrading a years old box today, not starting with a new one and then upgrading in the future.

I'm not sure how you can really significantly improve the performance of a box without upgrading the mobo, in my experience just upgrading the processor doesn't really do all that much since so many of the limitations on processing bandwidth have to do with things other than the processor.

I really don't know much at all about Macs other than those who use them seem to like them. As far as I'm concerned if someone likes a given machine then more power to them.

Discussions about various machines and OS'es so often seem to degenerate into flamewars that rival the Crusades for sheer intensity. I'm glad to see that isn't happening here.

I wouldn't touch Vista with a ten foot pole, BTW. I still have box sitting on the floor here in my computer room that runs Win98 and can still do useful work if you stick to websurfing, word processing and that sort of thing.

My wife ran a business entirely on the same 386/25 box running Win3.1 for almost ten years with nary a hiccup. The machine never went down once.

But then, after the business apps were loaded, the box was left alone to do its job and nothing more was added. Where I and lot of other people get in trouble is constantly adding new apps which often don't get along with their neighbors.

I'm pretty well resigned to doing a reinstall about every nine months or so, but it's entirely my own fault because I love to fiddle with the thing.

I *have* learned to burn an image of a fresh basic install with all my most used apps and keep that as a backup.
blink.gif

I'm also glad that the old wars are not surfacing here.

If you have time to upgrade a several years old box, often you are just keeping the case and drives. The M/B needs changing for the new CPU, which then doesent accept the old Ram, and then the Video card has an old slot etc.

I'm also a fan of old computers, I have here an old iMac DV G3 400Mhz

I bought it used a few years ago. It dates from Oct 99. It has been upgraded to an internal 120Gb Hd and 1 Gig of RAM.

It runs the latest Mac OS X.4.10. When the 120Gb drive filled up, I just pluged in a Firewire external 250Gb, cloned the internal drive and boot from that. I use a FireWire Pioneer 8X8 DVDR on it which is also bootable.

Upgrading the OS has been a no brainer. It started with OS 8.6 then 9 then 9.5 then 10.3 then 10.4. Each time I just put in the install disc clicked upgrade and it just "worked like magic". I have never reinstalled this system, in fact it is on 24/7. The only reboots are for software installs. So this machine often has several months of up-time.

This is the real advantage of the same company making the software and the hardware. Drivers, schmizers, Apple sold the box so they know which drivers to put on the upgrade disc.

This is not a fast machine but is useful almost 8 years after it was sold. I use it as a download machine and music server, print server, web browsing etc.

I think this is why Macs hold their value. Try and upgrade the HD and Ram on a Win 98 machine and run Vista!

This out of the box experience is worth it for me. I could spend a few hours upgrading an old PC, but I'd be better off just working a few hours, at what I'm good at, and buying a Mac. After all the people at Apple are better at building PC's than I am.

There is a lot of hype about marketing PC's and a side by side comparison of "Bullet" features only gives half the picture. The "Bullet" feature that I go for is the "It just works" which is a hallmark of Apple. The support is also a class leader, and for me this is a big positive.

We seem to have similar outlook on using computers, I'm just glad that we have the choice of using Win, Mac, Linux or whatever. At the end of the day it's just "horses for courses".

There are places for both platforms, but the Mac is not really a DIY solution. If you want to upgrade it, you are usually better off just selling it, they are easy to sell, and buying a new one with all the advantages of Applecare ect.

Peace.

Jul 26, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #184 of 360
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I increased the ram in my macbook pro, I bought a stick from NewEgg. It was if I remember correctly 60% less than buying from Apple.

I installed 4 gigs in my MacBook Pro last month for a total of $230. IIRC, 4 gigs from Apple would have cost me $750. It's just plain ol' RAM, folks.

Jul 26, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #185 of 360
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I installed 4 gigs in my MacBook Pro last month for a total of $230. IIRC, 4 gigs from Apple would have cost me $750. It's just plain ol' RAM, folks.

Sheesh.

its like buying earphones from the Shure website!

Jul 26, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #186 of 360
Quote:

Originally Posted by thebob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have time to upgrade a several years old box, often you are just keeping the case and drives. The M/B needs changing for the new CPU, which then doesent accept the old Ram, and then the Video card has an old slot etc.

I'm also a fan of old computers, I have here an old iMac DV G3 400Mhz

I bought it used a few years ago. It dates from Oct 99. It has been upgraded to an internal 120Gb Hd and 1 Gig of RAM.

It runs the latest Mac OS X.4.10. When the 120Gb drive filled up, I just pluged in a Firewire external 250Gb, cloned the internal drive and boot from that. I use a FireWire Pioneer 8X8 DVDR on it which is also bootable.

Upgrading the OS has been a no brainer. It started with OS 8.6 then 9 then 9.5 then 10.3 then 10.4. Each time I just put in the install disc clicked upgrade and it just "worked like magic". I have never reinstalled this system, in fact it is on 24/7. The only reboots are for software installs. So this machine often has several months of up-time.

This is the real advantage of the same company making the software and the hardware. Drivers, schmizers, Apple sold the box so they know which drivers to put on the upgrade disc.

This is not a fast machine but is useful almost 8 years after it was sold. I use it as a download machine and music server, print server, web browsing etc.

I think this is why Macs hold their value. Try and upgrade the HD and Ram on a Win 98 machine and run Vista!

This out of the box experience is worth it for me. I could spend a few hours upgrading an old PC, but I'd be better off just working a few hours, at what I'm good at, and buying a Mac. After all the people at Apple are better at building PC's than I am.

As I said earlier, I wouldn't touch Vista with a ten foot pole. I have no desire to be spied upon any more than I already am.

If a box is doing what you want to do, why upgrade anything at all?

The entire upgrade I related took me about three hours, including the time spent ordering the parts. I did spend a considerable amount of time searching for the best deals, but that is something I rather enjoy doing so I counted it as more of a recreation than a chore.

As far as how long it takes to upgrade a box, I've been building 'em so long I can field strip an ATX box almost as fast as I could field strip an M16. And again, I consider it more as a form of recreation than a chore to be dreaded. I was practically trembling with anticipation when my new mobo combo showed up.

I'd be willing to bet that I could put a new mobo, processor, memory and graphics card in an ATX case in under 45 minutes starting from the time I unscrewed the first screw until I screwed it back in.

It really isn't all that hard to do, and anyone who will take the time to mod an expensive pair of cans could do it quite rapidly.

I'm a big proponent of understanding the technology you are working with and having a working knowledge of the guts of a box is part and parcel of that understanding.

Jul 26, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #189 of 360
Quote:

Originally Posted by no1likesme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only time I install windows on a pc I build for someone is when they play a lot of games. If they don't play games they get a fresh install -O- Linux

Yes, only if I wasn't such a big gamer I'd be 100% linux.

Jul 27, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #190 of 360
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An article pertinent to this thread, published today on Wired Magazine online:

Linux: It's Not Just for Servers Anymore

Very interesting.

In parallel to cracking the business market, the game market is the "tresure in the keep" for both Linux and Mac.

It appears to me that, for whatever reason there is some inertia against XP - Vista upgrades. Linux seems to fill this space really well.

In the last Steve Jobs keynote there was an announcement that one of the big game companies would be releasing Mac versions. I think it was "AE". Now if these were Linux/Mac ports, it would be much easier to build up that volume.

I would not be supprised to see a MacProGame in the next lineup. It fits exactly with the high end share Apple is going for.

Anyway I'm sure they are burning the midnight oil in Redmond. After disasterous Zune and Vista launches they must be looking arround for some good company to buy up.

By the way, I'm not totally anti Microsoft, I think they are the best mouse company out there. it's strange to think Xbox uses a PowerPC and Macs use Intel.

Jul 27, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #192 of 360
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheVinylRipper /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It really isn't all that hard to do, and anyone who will take the time to mod an expensive pair of cans could do it quite rapidly.

I'm a big proponent of understanding the technology you are working with and having a working knowledge of the guts of a box is part and parcel of that understanding.

The trick is having space a-plenty in your case, like my Stacker 810. I hate working in mATX boxes.
evil_smiley.gif

(Also helps to know the diff between say...an I/O panel and a HDD cage) :smartassmode:

biggrin.gif

Jul 27, 2007 at 6:31 AM Post #193 of 360
Quote:

Originally Posted by LowPhreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The trick is having space a-plenty in your case, like my Stacker 810. I hate working in mATX boxes.
evil_smiley.gif

(Also helps to know the diff between say...an I/O panel and a HDD cage) :smartassmode:

biggrin.gif

I have a big aluminum case with four full size drive bays and two 3.5 floppy sized ones.. The only hard part (and it isn't all that hard) is swapping the power supply.

Searching for a reasonably priced power supply that had the right specs was the hardest part of the whole thing. All the new ones were more than I wanted to pay and very few people on that auction site that may not be named listed the Ampere outputs of their supplies. Eventually I found one that had a pic of the label that I could put in Photoshop and enhance enough to see the ratings.

I got it very reasonably, since it was unremarkable looking.

The oldest box got relegated to strictly a recording device with my Audiophile 2496 card, I have them linked together with some USB wifi dongles and it all works very nicely. I use the XP remote desktop and can even get the audio live into my new box over the wifi. The recording doesn't take much processor power at all and very little ram (256 megs of PC2100) I have a 40 gig hard drive in there but it is overkill for my purposes, I could easily get by with 10.

That way, my turntable and other stereo equipment can stay in the home theater room and all I have to do is walk back and forth every twenty minutes or so and change the album over..

Meanwhile I sit in the computer room with DSP going on in the background and websurf, play flight sim or whatever..

Jul 30, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #194 of 360
@ theBob - you are talking about EA - Electronic Arts. I used to have a cute little .gif floating around of their logo morphing into a swastika (the reversed german one, not the temple marking one)... It fits well, EA is a horrible company. They treat their employees bad, buy up other small and creative game properties and drone out endless clone-armies of games. The chairman who presented at WWCD (DC?) was pretty clearly drunk. (IMHO) ... The biggest impedence to games on Mac is the structure of the OS doesn't lend itself well to running a game. (one of the Demo Games - HP:OOTP - wouldn't run entirely smooth on the high-end mac hardware they had. My winxp laptop could run it smooth, and it's 2.5 years old). I don't know what particular aspect causes this. Also, the majority of graphics cards on the market are fundamentally incompatible with MacOSX (hense Mac versions of ATi cards). Fix these problems... and you're good. They mave have straightened out a few of these since I last checked... I'm being as honest as possible.)

@theVinylRipper - My best time from start to finish building an ATX machine is 10 minutes. (it was a gaming rig, so no cheating there). But I did PC repair for 3 years when I was in HS, so that is an advantage.*wink* My tower PC is a GigaByte Aurora Case, with 5 of the 5" (.3?" something like that...) drive bays and no less than 10 HDD drive bays, 4 of which are directly cooled by the front 120mm fan. Addionally, it has 2x120mm fans in the rear of the case, one above the other, and the PSU contains a 130mm fan. It's virtually silent when Running (the CPU heatsink is another 120mm fan that blows towards the two rear fans.) It contains 2tb of space internally, and the OS runs off a pair of WD Raptor 150gb 10kRPM drives. it has 3 external drives (2x320gb - 1x250gb) via a firewire daisy chain. It runs 4gb of DDR2-1066 in 4 sticks. Average internal temperature (ambient 80F) is 110F as measured at the cpu, which is an E6600 OC'd to 3.2ghz from 2.4ghz stock. It runs an Elite Pro Xfi card for sound and a 7950 GX2 Nvidia GeForce card (technically, it's two cards feeding one PCI-e slot). It feeds into that Dell 24" screen and Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 (which sound great for the price)... I'd recommend the Case to anyone, for it's superior cooling properties... just replace the stock fans (mine are Scythe X-Flex... 67cfm at 1200rpm & 27db) for aural silence. the PSU is a 620watt Corsair unit that has extraordinary specs for the price. Very quiet stable unit. You can no longer purchase the video card (it was very limited run) but it is roughly equivalent to a 8800GTX in terms of raw power. This rig has both XP and a distro of gentoo Linux called Sabayon, which is faster than Ubuntu as it is gentoo based, but slightly less compatible (however, it worked fine on my pc, when ubuntu refused to even boot off the cd.)

In all honesty, this pc is possible today at under 3000$. It's blazingly fast and makes for an amazing gaming machine and media server (it stores my massive audio (over 100gb) and video (the rest of that 2tb space *hehe*) collections.

Jul 30, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #195 of 360
Rhynri,

My military spec acronymeter just blew up and spattered melted metal and burning plastic all over the room
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back