What options for the ppx slam?
Apr 12, 2006 at 10:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Clarity

100+ Head-Fier
Folks I am ready to venture into the world of tube amps. Although I love my hornet I find that I am mostly listening to my music at home versus on the go. I've been reading lots of good things about the ppx slam and I think I'm ready to make a purchase. I was wondering if you folks can help me out as to what tubes to choose from.

I listen to mostly rock and I will mainly be using my RS1. On occasions I listen to R&B, hip hop, but for most of my listening pleasures it will mainly be all types of rock music. As for the source I am currently looking into an esound E5, denon 3910, music hall cd25.2, or marantz 8260.

Based on the types of music I listen to what tubes would you all recommend I go with? How long does it usually take from the time you place your order to the time it reaches your front door? Thanks and have a great day

Apr 12, 2006 at 11:00 PM Post #2 of 18
the best 5687s in my opinion are the following, ranked from best to worst: Tung Sol D-Getter (forceful, lively sound), Sylvania Gold Pin (refined and smooth), Raytheon (like the Tung Sols but not quite as good), Sylvania JAN 5687W (like the gold pins, but not quite as good), GE Five Star (good drive, somewhat sweet midrange), Philips JAN (good all arounder), and RCA (good all arounder). all of the 5687s are good, but i think the Tung Sols and Sylvania Gold Pins are consistently the best by a fair margin, whereas the others kind of inhabit a zone of similar quality.

in terms of gain tube, i would probably go with the 6CG7 for the type of music you listen to, as it has a bit more drive and forefullness than the 6SN7. my favorite 6CG7s are the GE JANs (great bass on these), the Sylvanias (i've had more reliability issues with these than any others, but they are warm and smooth) and the RCA Clear tops (refined, extended, fast).

Apr 12, 2006 at 11:18 PM Post #3 of 18
EdipisReks thank you for the recommendations on the different types of tubes. I also appreciate describing what each sounds like. This will be very helpful when I make my final decision. So for the gain tube you recommend the 6CG7 over the 6SN7?

On singlepower's website there are other options available unrelated to tubes. Are these necessary or will a stock ppx3 slam with just tube upgrades suit me well?

BTW sorry for all these questions, I am new to tube amps and I am still researching them as we speak.

Apr 12, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarity
So for the gain tube you recommend the 6CG7 over the 6SN7?

in general it's the one i suggest for rock music. if you want maximum versatility, i would suggest getting the 6SN7 socket and an 6CG7 adapter. that way you could get a bunch of 6SN7 and 6CG7 tubes and decide which sound signature you like the best. my Slam has a 6CG7 socket, but i have a one of a kind 6CG7->6SN7 adapter. i find myself going back and forth depending on what i'm listening to and what my mood is. choice is a good thing
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 13, 2006 at 3:02 PM Post #6 of 18
The stock PPX SLAM in stock configuration has everything you will need. The only real decision is on which driver tube to go for.

The 6SN7 is a more expensive tube to buy for the most part, but there are many brands and types to choose from. On the other hand the 6CG7 is in general roughly about half the price, but there are less in the way of types to choose from. This is something to consider along with their different sound signatures. As noted above if you get the 6SN7, you can later get an adapter to do both, the reverse is not true if you get the 6CG7 socket to begin with. It all really depends on how much tube swapping you plan on doing & what sound signature you prefer.

- augustwest

Apr 13, 2006 at 3:08 PM Post #7 of 18
By the way, how ever you get this amp configured, you are going to love it. It really over performs for it's price point. (Be sure and get the "SLAM" edition)

- augustwest

Apr 13, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #8 of 18
I really appreciate the response folks. I think I will go with the adapter to expand my tube options down the road. What I am having difficulty with are these options http://singlepoweraudio.com/pricing.htm There are several to choose from and I am having difficulty deciding which ones are necessarry.

Apr 13, 2006 at 7:06 PM Post #10 of 18
I totally agree with the options said above.For the music you want to listen to the 6cg7 will be a great option followd by a NOS 6SN7.Be sure to remember to get a 6SN7 to 6cg7 adapter.

Apr 13, 2006 at 7:11 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by adolphe
I've been wondering about this for a bit, what makes a "slam edition"? I can't find on the website where it mentions this...

-Scott

The PPX3 SLAM allowes you to have a 6SN7 socket in the gain position.I am not sure what the non SLAM version has instead.

Apr 13, 2006 at 7:16 PM Post #12 of 18
As far as tube options I think I'm set as too which ones I'll try out. The Tung Sols with the GE JANS or RCA clear tops.

Now out of all options which ones are absolutely necessarry and which ones can I live without.

Power Supply
Capacitor Upgrade - $65

Premium Power Supply
Capacitor Upgrade - $160

Goldpoint Stepped Atten.
(24 steps) - $229

Cardas Rhodium RCA
Input Jacks - $39

Neutrik Locking
Headphone Jack - $49

Jensen Coupling
Capacitor Upgrade - $154

Preamp Outputs
(RCA) - $119

Apr 13, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarity
As far as tube options I think I'm set as too which ones I'll try out. The Tung Sols with the GE JANS or RCA clear tops.

Now out of all options which ones are absolutely necessarry and which ones can I live without.

Power Supply
Capacitor Upgrade - $65

Premium Power Supply
Capacitor Upgrade - $160

Goldpoint Stepped Atten.
(24 steps) - $229

Cardas Rhodium RCA
Input Jacks - $39

Neutrik Locking
Headphone Jack - $49

Jensen Coupling
Capacitor Upgrade - $154

Preamp Outputs
(RCA) - $119

the Slam comes with the solen 1 PSU cap upgrade. i wouldn't get any of the others unless you have a need for preamp, etc.

Apr 13, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #15 of 18
EdipisReks thanks, so everything I mentioned above are mainly for if I decide to get a preamp correct.

What are these black gate caps some people order? Also do you think for a little more it'd be worth upgrading the RCA and headphone jacks? Thanks for all your help so far and I will be making a phone call to Singlepower sometime today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back