What OP-amp is used in the "Hornet"
Nov 4, 2008 at 1:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

bidoux

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

Does anyone knows the exact name of the Op-amp that is used in the RSA the hornet or something similar ?

Is it the same that is used as rail-splitter and op-amp or is it two differents chips ?

Thanks for the answers!
icon10.gif

Nov 4, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #2 of 10
Ray does his best to hide the make/model if the chipsets in his amplifiers.
I am sure someone around here have figured out what they are, but unsure if they are willing to share their guessing/info.

Nov 4, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #3 of 10
I understood that the only thing that Ray does is finding the right chip for his build.
That is why his amp are so simple and good sounding.

I guess nobody will give me the info because it is a 450$ one
icon10.gif

Nov 4, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #4 of 10
Nov 4, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by bidoux /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understoud that the only thing that Ray does is finding the right chip for his build.
That is why his amp are so simple and good sounding.

I guess nobody will give me the info because it is a 450$ one
icon10.gif

This is what is known as voicing the the circuit . A designer will try different components in the design stage until he finds the combination that gives him the sound characteristics he had in mind. How "basic" or "simple" a design might be has nothing to do w/ how good the final product can be. Parts are not just parts. "Basic" designs are used over & over again because they have a proven track record of how they will perform. When you buy a piece of equipment you are paying for a designers knowledge. Knowledge may be free but I don't think someone whose "bread & butter" is dependent on it's use will be readily willing to share what makes his designs special. It's nothing personal it's called being a good businessman

Nov 4, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rumor had it for a while back that it was the AD8397. I think this had something to do with the Hornet.

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/buzzer.jpg

The one who analized the circuit made a mistake as the two 20K resistors are 200K. See the tangent site Virtual Ground Circuits and you will see that the BUF634 buffer only fit into this circuit (and onto the board with the BUF634 specific leads).

Sorry Larry, both schematics are not that of the Hornet, drawing wise & parts wise...
Ray Samuels

Nov 4, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry Larry, both schematics are not that of the Hornet, drawing wise & parts wise...
Ray Samuels

hehehe btw Ray just got my black sr-71a today and I LOVE it!

Nov 4, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Ray Samuels

Actually Ray Samuels you are teasing us
biggrin.gif
. I didn't think yout hornet was that complicated.
Someone just told me it was a Cmoy. I guess he was wrong
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 4, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Ray Samuels

Thanks for the update - that was a 1 year old rumor. I hope no offense was taken. I just wanted to point out what was said in the past, in case it was true.

Nov 4, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the update - that was a 1 year old rumor. I hope no offense was taken. I just wanted to point out what was said in the past, in case it was true.

Non taken my friend.
Ray Samuels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back