What Next?
Aug 18, 2004 at 10:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

zachary80

1000+ Head-Fier
Right now I'm looking for the next big step in my set up. An upgrade that the differences are very clear. I started off with the Senheiser hd497's, they were a huge jump from any headphones I had heard before. From there I got the Sonys, another big step. At that point I decided I would eventually be buying the hd580s, so I got my Pimeta, once again a pretty big step. Then the hd580s came, a good headphone, which I like alot, another step up. Shures E2c came next to replace my iBuds. But at this point, to get a major upgrade from the headphones, it will be a lot more money.

I do most of my listening in my room through the Sony CDP-C365, and some at my computer through my Game Theater XP. Since I havn't heard any other CD players, all I know about the Sony is that it is better than my soundcard.

So what do I upgrade next that will make the largest, most obvious difference? Source (computer or cd), amp, 'phones, buy into a DAC?

Aug 18, 2004 at 10:49 PM Post #3 of 14
if your satisfied with your cans, upgrade the preceding chain to make it even more enjoyable!

Aug 19, 2004 at 12:43 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jboehle
What kind of music do you listen to?

Rock (progressive, metal), Jazz, a little Classical

Aug 19, 2004 at 1:49 AM Post #8 of 14
Right now I have a couple hundred dollars put aside, but I really don't want to drop much more than $500 on a single item. Unless something is replaced of course, I may use the money I am able to get from selling it in addition.

aerius, I will think about that post for a bit then update later

Aug 19, 2004 at 2:23 PM Post #10 of 14
You might want to get an EMU 1212m and have it modded. It's suppost to compete with $1200 CDP's even in stock form, and will probably be better than any used or new CDP you can get for $500. And that would still leave you with some cash for some good IC's.

Aug 19, 2004 at 6:01 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius
The first thing to do is to figure out exactly what you want, then evaluate where and how well your current system meets your goals. After that you do research on how well prospective systems will meet your goals, and decide where you want to go from there.

It is really hard for me to say what I am looking for right now since I have relatively little experience and still haven't figure out quite how all those big words match up to what I am hearing
580smile.gif
All I want is what sounds better. I am not looking for whatever is closest to the original recording, unless that is the same as trying to find a "life-like" sound. Right now my headphones aren't better or worse than each other, they each have their own place. The Sonys are very relaxing and I use them around the noisy computer and when I am about to go to sleep. The Senns are what I truely listen to the music with, and the Shures are my public 'phones. Hey, maybe I just need to buy something new that begins with an "S"
tongue.gif

I like soundstage, and how music pans around (like Pink Floyd offen does) with spacial effects. Instrument separation is good too, but with some of my Jazz recordings the Senns make the instruments sound far apart. I like a good, clean bass, similar to the 580s but maybe just a little bit more.

I have never experienced a source upgrade, so I have no clue what that even does to the sound, except that when I go to Sweetwater to test headphones their player just sounds so much clearer and crisper and just clean.

Also, I can't listen to much normal rock (like my beloved metallica and others) on the hd580's. It just seems kind of boring and like there isn't much to the music. For rock right now I use my Klipsch PM 4.1 (in stereo of course), and it is much more enjoyable than rock on my hd580s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
You might want to get an EMU 1212m and have it modded. It's suppost to compete with $1200 CDP's even in stock form, and will probably be better than any used or new CDP you can get for $500. And that would still leave you with some cash for some good IC's.

I considered getting a modded 0404 or 1212m (reportedly not much difference?), but I have two problems.
1) Computer Noise. My main rig is a powerhouse, but I actually began modifying my old computer to make it quiet. Right now, I would still need to add another hard drive (I only have 10gb open for music, and I would get a quiet single-platter), which would take about $120,
2) The cost for the mods that I have been quoted seems unreasonable to me, and the only builder I have experience with decided not to do mods

Aug 20, 2004 at 4:36 PM Post #12 of 14
I finally make a long post and I get no response? Come on guys...

Aug 20, 2004 at 4:41 PM Post #13 of 14
hmm soundstage, block out noisy computer, run your cans right in the comp, want a bit more excitement in rock...mebbe a A900? based on search and read.

Aug 20, 2004 at 4:55 PM Post #14 of 14
If you really like the hd580 then the hd650 is definately a step up. For example I didn't like the hd580 but I definately liked the hd650 which just did everything better.
I would usually upgrade the headphones first, then the source and then the amp (imo). However, since your headphones are pretty good already, you might consider upgrading the source first. There are some vintage cd players that sound pretty good. Other than that there's always the Toshiba 3950/3960 which is supposed to have an amazing sound for the price.
The cheapest upgrade, however, would be getting a chaintech av 710 soundcard which is only 25$ from newegg.com
Another thing you might also consider is whether soundstage is really important to you. In the beginning I thought that it's all about soundstage until I had some grados which convinced me of the contrary. If you have the chance to listen to some grados/alessandros, go for it. They are definately the best headphones for rock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back