What next?
Nov 3, 2009 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Dogbane

Banned
I currently have three pairs of headphones (HD650 for maximum open SQ, GMP 8.300Ds for closed, and ATH-AD900s when comfort is the top priority.)
I have a Little Dot MK V, and my source is an Onkyo CD changer.

What should I try now to get to the next level? Recable? Tube amp? Better CD player?

All suggestions welcome.

Nov 3, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #4 of 20
That is a good boy
smily_headphones1.gif
I would consider changing the source, too. Maybe a decent USB DAC for better versatility and cost-effectiveness?

Nov 3, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #6 of 20
you should reconsider. a computer gives you so much versatility for the price, especially if you have no shame in terms of music downloads

Nov 4, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #8 of 20
The more I think about it, the more sense it makes to get a new CD player. After all, if I buy a DAC, I get only a DAC. A better CD player has both a better DAC and a better transport.
Since my MK V is a dual-mono design, it makes sense to choose a CDP that maximizes stereo separation with dual DACs.
Some of the Cambridge and Marantz stuff looks really good. I also wonder about professional equipment (eg Tascam.) After all, if it is good enough for studio engineers and DJs, I expect it is good enough for me!

Nov 4, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #9 of 20
Music? Am I booring now
tongue.gif

Nov 4, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #12 of 20
I have too much invested in my headphones and amp to replace both with an electrostatic system. (Indeed, I have trouble justifying the price of my other two phones since I listen almost exclusively to the HD650s, and I love them. Recovering some of my investment by selling them is apparently not an option, since my AD900s have been posted here for weeks without so much as a nibble.) That is why I am only interested in enhancing what I have.

I should add that I am in no way dissatisfied. Far from it, in fact. I just like the idea of making my system sound even better. Improving the source seems like the best approach (or possibly a recable), since I think the 650s have even more to offer than I have heard so far (especially in terms of imaging.)

My musical tastes run the gamut (except for rap, which totally sucks.) The bulk of my collection is jazz, new age, world music, electronica, and prog rock.

Nov 4, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #13 of 20
+1 for upgrading the source.
Either by replacing the CD changer or getting a nice standalone DAC to bring it to new heights.

Nov 4, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #15 of 20
I haven't used my $3,000 Naim CDP since i got an MF V-DAC and downloaded Spotify...Dont know if you guys over the pond can get that thou'. Just enjoy your music for a bit.and dont look at headfi.
smily_headphones1.gif
There doesn't have to be a what next!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back