What next after NAD HP50s...?
Dec 18, 2021 at 6:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

locksbury

Head-Fier
Hi,

It's been quite a while (2014!), so I'd like to pick the collective brains to find suggestions for replacing my aging NAD HP50s. :)

Current listening set-up: Desktop/Laptop PC -> Objective (O2) USB DAC/Headphone Amp -> NAD HP50s

Desired headphone type/ideal sound:
Over Ear
Closed Back
Glasses friendly
Budget upto £350 GBP (perhaps up to £400/450 if they blow my socks off, or of course happy if they're cheaper)
"Neutral/Flat" response as perceived possible or at least similar to the HP50s (I appreciate it's always a compromise with closed backs)
NB: I'd rather not use EQs and I do appreciate that it can take a while for headphones to "wear-in" and my own aural perception to be reprogrammed. :)

Use case:
At home music listening to mostly rock/metal/funk/soul/punk/blues/female singers/pop, with the occasional bouts of classical/jazz/EDM, along with other genres; plus youtube tech/science/computer shows/gaming.

Current cans for consideration...
Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro
Beyerdynamic DT700 Pro X
Austrian Audio Hi-X60 (assuming earpads don't fit soo well that it's a vacuum and painful as some are finding)
Shure SRH1540

Thoughts/suggestions?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #3 of 9
Ah, wondering what Mr Speakers was doing these days... I can see the appeal, but with being in the UK, aside from being unable to easily test them in person; I suspect the import fees/taxes will be excessive. Thanks for the thought on that one though.

Anyone played with the Shure SRH5140s or other suggestions? I don't suspect the Sennheiser shape hasn't changed much, so the shallow ear cups will rub.

Dec 19, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #4 of 9
Thin frame glasses or thick? I think the 1540s are a good upgrade, but they are a bit seal dependent, so if you have really thick frame glasses you might lose a lot of the lower bass response. Although the HP50s are even more seal dependent than the 1540s, so I suppose if you've been happy with them then the 1540s will work. In terms of comfort with glasses I think the 1540s are better, so that shouldn't be an issue. You can see measurments for both here (and the effects of breaking the seal to varying degrees):

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/nad-viso-hp50/
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/shure/srh-1540/

Dec 19, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #5 of 9
Thin frame glasses or thick? I think the 1540s are a good upgrade, but they are a bit seal dependent, so if you have really thick frame glasses you might lose a lot of the lower bass response. Although the HP50s are even more seal dependent than the 1540s, so I suppose if you've been happy with them then the 1540s will work. In terms of comfort with glasses I think the 1540s are better, so that shouldn't be an issue. You can see measurments for both here (and the effects of breaking the seal to varying degrees):

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/nad-viso-hp50/
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/shure/srh-1540/
Now with thin frames and yeah, I've accepted I won't get the best/bass seal, which is fine, as I'm not a bass nut anyway. Wow, thanks for the site suggestion; will take a look (of course frequency charts need to be verified with in person testing). :)

Dec 19, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #6 of 9
Took a look at the diyaudioheaven reviews and dug up the old inner fidelity vid reivew and the 1540s we're favourably recommended. So I'll try get a pair next year and try the Aeons/Hi-X60s if the opportunities arise. Cheers! :)

Dec 20, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #8 of 9
Don't go by an old IF review, the AKG K371 has come out since then and probably sounds better than most of the headphones you've listed. DT770 is very v-shaped and SRH1540 has bass bleed last time I checked.
Lack of sub-bass isn't an issue for me as I wear glasses, so the seal will never be perfect. I'll give the AKG K371s a go as well. Thanks.

Dec 30, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #9 of 9
Hi,

Thanks for all the comments/suggestions. I spent a day trialing different cans, so here's some notes if they're useful to others...

- Austrian Audio Hi-X15: Trialed first. Even being the cheapest, I was surprised how good and articulate the sound was. For my larger cranium, the fit was good/comfortable and would happily have got them if that was all that was available at the time. Happy to suggest these others who want to spend <£100.
- Shure SHR1540: They had similar feel/sound to my previous NAD Viso HP50s. For my larger cranium, they just about fitted at full stretch and with bending the frame. Earcups were very comfortable and the sound was all there, so compared to the HP50s, I would have been happy.
- Meze 99s: Best looking, and surpisingly light. Again, bit less defined in sound, but still fun and worthwhile if that was all that was available. The self-adjusting headband does pull the earcups up to the ear lobes a tiny bit, but certainly not uncomfortable.
- Senn HD600s: Was really after closed back, but tried them to see what the fuss was about. Yep, best sound hands down, but of course leaked like a seive. Maybe for the day I have a quiet room.
- Austrian Audio Hi-X55: Like when I went up the Shure IEM stack, the X55s over the X15s were a definite step up. Didn't get to trial them long, so they just sounded awesome to me and fitted my cranium very well.
- Austrian Audio Hi-X60: Noted the build/fit different to the X55s, but certianly no deal breaker and again, best closed back sound and good fit. They seal the best even with thin frame glasses, so time will tell if I get the "vacuum ear" that others have reported as an issue. If you lay the cans face down on a desk and slightly press, the sound dissapaers (good closed backs!) and when you pull them back up you hear the air escape.

In the end I thought sod it and got the AA Hi-X60s. So as long as I don't get the "vacuum ear" issue, then I'll be holding on to them for years to come. 2nd choice would be X55s and 3rd would be Shure (mostly due to fit issues with larger craniums :) ).

Cheers!

P.S.: For the X60s (and I supposed others in the line), if you don't quite lock in the headphone cable, then if you turn your head to the right, the sound can disappear. XD

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back