What new IEM's/Canalphones?
Feb 24, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #31 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkmonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what made you pick the superFi 5's?
I have researching the d-Jays, Vibes, JBL-220's, superFi's, UM-1's...

Man, my head is spinning!!!

blink.gif

I have a friend who is basically the go to guy for headphones in australia... runs a very succesful store in perth... I've bought my AD700's from him.

He said a few things to me... and changed my mind
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #33 of 46
Subatomic,
what did your friend say? I hesitate to pull the trigger on earphones over the $100 mark, and have concerns about the size of the super.Fi's. I like everything else I have read about them though.

Feb 25, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #34 of 46
Quote:

Subatomic,
what did your friend say? I hesitate to pull the trigger on earphones over the $100 mark, and have concerns about the size of the super.Fi's. I like everything else I have read about them though.

He said:
Quote:

Personally I'd pick the SuperFi5 over the E4c any day.

Comfort shouldn't be an issue, unless you want to lie on your side when using them, in which case the Shures are lower profile and therefore better suited.
If people say they find the Shure more comfortable than the UEs, they probably haven't actually tried the UEs as the fit is virtually identical, the only difference is the back end of the canalphones which sticks out more in the case of the UE models.

From what I can tell of the new Shure models is they're changing the model numbers, but not much else. I won't be able to confirm until I've tried them though.

About IEM's/canalphones:
Quote:

If you don't want a lot of isolation stay away from Etymotic and Westone products, the rest of the brands offer around the same level of isolation (Sennheiser, Shure, UE etc).

You'll find that with default tips (rubber) Shure and UE products offer similar levels of isolation to the CX300, however with the foam tips they get up to around 26dB which is closer to the Ety and Westone ones (around 31dB in their cases).

Going by the head-fi obfuscation of terms, UE and Shure products are both IEM AND canalphone, depending on which tips you use.
But at the same time, you can get shorter tips for Etymotic products, meaning they to are both IEM and canalphones, depending on the tips used.

Base your choice on how much isolation you want, what kind of sound you want and how much you want to spend, not whether you want "IEMs" or "canalphones".

"What should I buy guys, a car or an automobile?"

About UM2's:
Quote:

Yeah, they aren't bad but I can't really figure out where they fit in. I think the SuperFi5pro sounds almost as good and is cheaper. If you want something clearer and more detailed, the ER-4P is better.
So I guess they're ok if you don't want Shure, Etymotic or UE products

There was some other stuff, but I cant find it
tongue.gif

Feb 25, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #35 of 46
I agree with his assessments on everything except for the Super fi 5s only because I haven't tried them. It does sound like it fits your likes. Good luck

Feb 25, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #37 of 46
Quote:

Cool, sounds like good solid advice.
Thanks for sharing it.
I am down to the Super.fi 5's, d-Jays, and the Vibes...

x2 same situation as i am in. someone help us out of our misery =(

Mar 2, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #38 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Subatomic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ordered them tonight, but I won't be able to use them until my bday
redface.gif
(Late march)

basshead.gif
rs1smile.gif

Just to let you guys know that I got them yesterday, but I cant use them for another 3 weeks
frown.gif

But jeez, thats bloody fast shipping (it was from earphonesolutions.com) Ordered on the 23rd, received them on the 2nd, 6 days from order date in the us, to getting them here in australia
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #40 of 46
Aside from some durability issues (that was promptly handled with their great customer service), I love my d-JAYS. You should give them a shot, they're definitely worth the money... it's just a shame that more Head-Fi'ers haven't tried them yet.

Mar 3, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #41 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by kazaam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aside from some durability issues (that was promptly handled with their great customer service), I love my d-JAYS. You should give them a shot, they're definitely worth the money... it's just a shame that more Head-Fi'ers haven't tried them yet.

They still arent available in US, but when they are I might pick up a pair.

Mar 3, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #44 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by rwest1389 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Ok, I will have a look at both of those. What do you mean by "get something differant" Are the ER6i's/UM1's a differant style to the cx300's/vibes/djays/superfi's? How do they differ, and what are the advantages?"

The difference is that er6is and um1s are iems while the others are canalphones. The main difference is that iems go deeper into your ear and have more isolation. These two at least, IMO, are more neutral and precise, while canalphones such as the vibes are a little more bass oriented. I have only tried them a few times, but theres a huge thread on vibes if you want to learn more. Many have said that the sound of vibes are better. I personally find canalphones less secure in my ears where as the um1s are very snug but not uncomfortable. Just another thing to throw out there, it seems um1s have less microphonics than most other iems and canalphones if thats an issue for you.

hope that helps a little

Super.fi is also an IEM.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back