what music to play to see if earphone is good
Jan 10, 2007 at 8:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ronmtorres

500+ Head-Fier
hi guys,
i would just like to ask which song works best to hear the sq of the earphone. i want, for example, to hear clarity, bass, etc. so i can compare some cans. thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 10, 2007 at 8:35 AM Post #2 of 4
It's better to see if the phones will perform well with YOUR favorite music. I personally could care less if my headphones sound great with audiophile quality copies of stuff I don't like. Try a favorite song from 20 of your favorite artists and go from there.

Jan 10, 2007 at 10:43 AM Post #4 of 4
But seriously, choose music that you are really familiar with but with a range of different sonic aspects. Recording engineers, especially those working in live sound, make a compilation CD of tracks they know inside-out. This is their reference disc that they use to test and tune new setups or venues. They have a good idea how those tracks should sound because they know them intimately and have played them on a lot of setups.

I also use a tone-sweep which helps me hear where there are humps or dips in the frequency response. But nothing beats music you are familiar with.

shibui

Users who are viewing this thread

Back